I cannot get accustomed to that vanishing long word tail at the moment
the worm is killed. I am wondering whether there is some reason against
leaving a trace of meat rings where the long worm tail had been.

Janis

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Janis Papanagnou wrote the following -._
> I cannot get accustomed to that vanishing long word tail at the moment
> the worm is killed. I am wondering whether there is some reason against
> leaving a trace of meat rings where the long worm tail had been.

If I where to take a guess:
Killing a longworm results in a worm tooth. If you bless this you get
a crysknife. So there is a bit of Dune in there. In the Dune books
if you manage to kill a sandworm the body degrades very quickly as it
isn't one large worm but (for lack of the proper term) one giant
symbiotic collectin of sand trout that breaks down when the collective
is killed and decomposes almost instantly.

So if viewed from an Arrakis perspective it makes sense. But then
doesn't everything?

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

..

..

..

Faux_Pseudo <Faux.Pseudo@gmail.com> wrote in

> Killing a longworm results in a worm tooth. If you bless this you get
> a crysknife.

You don't bless it, you enchant it. If you enchant it while confused then
the crysknife is fixed which means a 10% chance it'll revert to a tooth.

Faux_Pseudo wrote:
> _.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Janis Papanagnou wrote the following -._
>
>>I cannot get accustomed to that vanishing long word tail at the moment
>>the worm is killed. I am wondering whether there is some reason against
>>leaving a trace of meat rings where the long worm tail had been.
>
> If I where to take a guess:
> Killing a longworm results in a worm tooth. If you bless this you get
> a crysknife. So there is a bit of Dune in there. In the Dune books
> if you manage to kill a sandworm the body degrades very quickly as it
> isn't one large worm but (for lack of the proper term) one giant
> symbiotic collectin of sand trout that breaks down when the collective
> is killed and decomposes almost instantly.

Aha. Haven't read Dune, so that instant/fast "decay" is new to me.

> So if viewed from an Arrakis perspective it makes sense.

Not quite; should the head be allowed to remain as an edible corpse,
then, or would it also be "decomposed" (according to Dune)?

> But then doesn't everything?

Janis

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Janis Papanagnou wrote the following -._
>> So if viewed from an Arrakis perspective it makes sense.
>
> Not quite; should the head be allowed to remain as an edible corpse,
> then, or would it also be "decomposed" (according to Dune)?

It depends on what you read. In all of the books written by Frank
the only thing left over is the teeth. But when Brian took over
(books 7+) it was changed a little because Brian and Anderson
apparently never read the books and made some very bad errors.

In the first of second book that they wrote the beast Rabban goes and
kills a worm and it instantly decomposes leaving him without a
trophy of the hunt.

In the 7th or 8th book that they wrote Salim rides a worm till it
dies. It does not insta-decay. Why? Because Brian Herbert and Kevin
Anderson don't know how to do things consistantly.

/* everyone but the Dune fans can stop reading now */

If anyone has read the Dune books written by BH and KA and you have
access to The Dune Encyclopedia[0] then take a read through the parts
on Duncan and Ginaz. A world of differance. But apparently they knew
this: <url:http://www.dunenovels.com/news/encyclopedia.html>

[0] http://www.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=&title=dune%20Encyclopedia&keyword=&isbn=&order=TITLE&ordering=ASC&dispCurr=USD&binding=Any%20Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&StoreAbebooks=on&StoreAlibris=on&StoreAntiqbook=on&StoreBiblio=on&StoreBibliology=on&StoreBiblion=on&StoreBibliophile=on&StoreBibliopoly=on&StoreBooksandcollectibles=on&StoreChoosebooks=on&StoreHalf=on&StoreILAB=on&StoreMaremagnum=on&StorePowells=on&StoreStrandbooks=on&StoreZVAB=on

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

TRENDING THREADS