How Do I revisibleize myself

For some reason I thought I IDed a wand of speed. When I zapped myself it
turned out to be a wand of invisibility. That saved my life-good. Now I
can't go out and buy stuff. I don't know if wraiths can see invisible or
not. If they can't baiting them will be difficult.

Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and zapping
myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do it without
loosing other good intrinsics?

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

Nelson Lu wrote:

> Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and zapping
>> myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do it without
>> loosing other good intrinsics?
>
> Walk like an Egyptian.

.... or like Claude Rains.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

Mark Healey wrote:

> I'd like to revisible myself. How do I do it without
> loosing other good intrinsics?

Just like

The Invisible Man
http://www.bartleby.com/1003/

did.

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Mark Healey wrote:
> >>Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and
zapping
> >>myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do it
without
> >>loosing other good intrinsics?
> >
> > Walk like an Egyptian.
>
> Thought about that. I only have a cursed one an no way to remove the
> curse.

Then go hunting. Or search for a means to uncurse... that should not be
too difficult unless the RNG knows what you want to do and is in a bad
mood.

--
Manuel.

In article <pan.2005.04.11.05.25.44.67315@spammer.die>,
Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote:
>For some reason I thought I IDed a wand of speed. When I zapped myself it
>turned out to be a wand of invisibility. That saved my life-good. Now I
>can't go out and buy stuff. I don't know if wraiths can see invisible or
>not. If they can't baiting them will be difficult.
>
>Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and zapping
>myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do it without
>loosing other good intrinsics?

Walk like an Egyptian.

The Rabbit of Seville hits! -more-
You feel perplexed. -more-
You feel vexed. -more-
You feel next. -more-
The Rabbit cuts your mop. -more-
The Rabbit shaves your crop. -more-

Mark Healey wrote:
> Nelson Lu wrote:
>> Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote:

>>> I don't know if wraiths can see invisible or not. If they can't
>>> baiting them will be difficult.

>>> Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and
>>> zapping myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do
>>> it without loosing other good intrinsics?

You don't, at least not permanently. The only way to lose (one "o") this
intrinsic is theft by a gremlin, but that is unsafe and will not protect
you from losing other good intrinsics.

>> Walk like an Egyptian.

This is of course the preferred solution, but it will occupy an armour
slot that can be much better spent. The accepted "solution" in this
newsgroup is to just count your blessings and losses, and continue on.

> Thought about that. I only have a cursed one an no way to remove the
> curse.

Since you were talking about luring wraiths, I suspected you were
somewhere more advanced in the game. You must have met more than one
mummy by now. Go back a few levels and pick up those straps.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Someone wrote and something screwed up the attribution:

>>> Walk like an Egyptian.
>
> This is of course the preferred solution, but it will occupy an armour
> slot that can be much better spent. The accepted "solution" in this
> newsgroup is to just count your blessings and losses, and continue on.

It's really only annoying to be invisible when you want to enter shops
through the door. If you have teleport control and a way to teleport, you
won't even have to do that.

(not that I'm ever invisible by choice, but that's just a quirk of mine)

Raisse, killed by an invisible goblin

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> It's really only annoying to be invisible when you want to enter shops
> through the door. If you have teleport control and a way to teleport,
> you won't even have to do that.

I once lost a character by dropping through a trap door and landing,
invisibly, in a shop.

Not only are you not allowed to enter, the shopkeeper will also not let
you *leave*, regardless of whether you've picked up anything.

I consider this a misfeature. The shopkeeper *knows* you haven't picked
up anything, and doesn't want invisible customers. Why won't he let you
leave, then?

--

On 4/11/05 1:23 AM, Mark Healey wrote:
> Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and zapping
> myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do it without
> loosing other good intrinsics?

How did the Invisible Man do it?

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:

> It's really only annoying to be invisible when you want to enter
> shops through the door. If you have teleport control and a way to
> teleport, you won't even have to do that.

Or if you are rich and don't have to worry about paying for some
reconstruction.

Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 05:37:28 +0000, Nelson Lu wrote:
> > Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> wrote:

> >>Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and zapping
> >>myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do it without

> > Walk like an Egyptian.

> Thought about that. I only have a cursed one an no way to remove the
> curse.

You mentioned zapping yourself with cancellation.. do you have any charges
left in the wand?

--
Jukka Lahtinen

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:04:40 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:

>> > Walk like an Egyptian.
>
>> Thought about that. I only have a cursed one an no way to remove the
>> curse.
>
> You mentioned zapping yourself with cancellation.. do you have any charges
> left in the wand?

I don't know I IDed it by elimination.

--

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:11:11 +0200, Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> This is of course the preferred solution, but it will occupy an armour
>> slot that can be much better spent. The accepted "solution" in this
>> newsgroup is to just count your blessings and losses, and continue on.

The thing is that I don't want to waste rare scrolls of enchant armor to
make it somewhat protective.

> It's really only annoying to be invisible when you want to enter shops
> through the door. If you have teleport control and a way to teleport, you
> won't even have to do that.

It's also really annoying when you want to bait monsters onto (or at
least close to) an alter.

> (not that I'm ever invisible by choice, but that's just a quirk of mine)

I like to be invisible after I'm done wraith baiting.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

YANI
a potion of paint?

Mark Healey wrote:

>For some reason I thought I IDed a wand of speed. When I zapped myself it
>turned out to be a wand of invisibility. That saved my life-good. Now I
>can't go out and buy stuff. I don't know if wraiths can see invisible or
>not. If they can't baiting them will be difficult.
>
>Anyway. I'd like to revisible myself. I tried stripping and zapping
>myself with a wand of cancelation but nothing. How do I do it without
>loosing other good intrinsics?

Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:04:40 +0300, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> > Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:

> >> Thought about that. I only have a cursed one an no way to remove the
> >> curse.
> > You mentioned zapping yourself with cancellation.. do you have any charges
> > left in the wand?

> I don't know I IDed it by elimination.

Just thought that if you do, there's a way to remove curses..

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Nathan

Nick Vargish wrote:
> Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> writes:
>
> > a potion of paint?
>
> Make it a tool instead of a poition. Then both paint and grease could
> be "a can of viscous liquid" before being identified...

So what happens if you paint a weapon or armor?

Nathan wrote:
> Nick Vargish wrote:
> > Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> writes:
> >
> > > a potion of paint?
> >
> > Make it a tool instead of a poition. Then both paint and grease
could
> > be "a can of viscous liquid" before being identified...
>
> So what happens if you paint a weapon or armor?

Perhaps last year's tattoo YANI could be modified for customised
shields/ armour.

G - A customised blessed rustproof +3 elven mithril coat. (Being worn)
H - A blessed +4 dwarvish roundshield with custom dragon motif. (Being
worn)

Don't get carried away though- a layer of paint over your SDSM or
Shield of Reflection could be a recipe for a nasty surprise.
You could also make your own red-eyed/ white handed shields, or strip
naked and paint yourself for that "Pagan warrior" look. Anyone remember
that thread about a spell for "turning stuff green"? Now you can do it
with paint!

The red dragon hits! The red dragon bites!
throw what? (hip?*)
i - a tin of yellow paint
The tin of yellow paint hits the red dragon! --more--
The red dragon is covered in yellow paint!
The yellow dragon hits! The yellow dragon bites!

In you could use paint as ammo for firearms to make paintguns!
handy for when you don't have see invisible, or for training up in
firearms skills without wasting real ammo.

Cool.

Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> writes:

> a potion of paint?

Make it a tool instead of a poition. Then both paint and grease could be "a
can of viscous liquid" before being identified...

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

"Nathan" <ntspam2@netscape.net> writes:

> So what happens if you paint a weapon or armor?

Depends on the weapon? For normal weapons, a -1 penalty. For silver
weapons, it negates the effect of the silver.

Same for shiny armor... What happens if you paint a mirror before
lasing it? Does the paint ablate and the mirror then reflect? Or doese
the paint spoil the reflectivity to the point that the base material
heats enough to take damage? Someone with more physics than I, please
chime in. :^)

Obviously we'd also need a can of turpentine to remove the painted
condition...

If your human male paladin paints his plate mail pink, does he get an
extra round of attacks while the monsters get over their laughter?

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

I think someone else already suggested it, but maybe you could also
use a can of paint to "un-invisiblize" yourself or other monsters?
(Cf. Walk like an Egyptian thread.)

The can of blue paint hits the invisble nymph. --more--
The invisible nymph is covered in blue paint! --more--
The blue nymph starts shilling for Intel. --more--
You give her all your money. --more--
Strangely, nethack is not faster now.

Nick

--

Nick Vargish wrote:

>"Nathan" <ntspam2@netscape.net> writes:
>

>>So what happens if you paint a weapon or armor?
>>

>Obviously we'd also need a can of turpentine to remove the painted
>condition...

Why create a new potion for a new potion? Haven't you ever drunk some
strong booze otherwise known as paint remover?

On that special day, Nick Vargish, (nav+posts@bandersnatch.org) said...

> If your human male paladin paints his plate mail pink, does he get an
> extra round of attacks while the monsters get over their laughter?

Only against humanoid or at least intelligent monsters (only these can
deem this idea as "absolutely silly")

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

[ please don't top-post ]

Gary Olson wrote:
> YANI
> a potion of paint?

The idea is at least as old as 03/1996 (google for "potion ink intrinsic
invisibility" in r.g.r.n) and yet unimplemented.

Janis