avoiding encumberance

Last response: in Video Games
April 11, 2005 12:22:09 PM

How do you keep from being burdened?

stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
often-used weapons
worn armor
worn rings/amulets
unicorn horn
bag(s) of holding
wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)
invocation artifacts

that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep handy
(few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
luckstone, etc..)

bags of holding can only hold a certain amount of stuff or else they
explode. (I thought it was 26 items (a-z) but recently accendently put
more than that in a bag of holding, so I don't know the limit, I guess
it's possible I'm wrong about there being one).

I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
burdened because I have too much stuff that I want to take with me and
it won't all go in the bag of holding. (and I do bless my bag(s) of
holding) So what's your advice? Or is there no limit on amount of stuff
in a bag of holding and that's pretty much all I need to know?

Asher

More about : avoiding encumberance

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 2:29:41 PM

David Justiss wrote:

> How do you keep from being burdened?

Don't carry unnecessary stuff!

> stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
> often-used weapons

No, only one.

> worn armor
> worn rings/amulets
> unicorn horn

Indeed.

> bag(s) of holding

ONLY ONE (to avoid the possibility of putting one inside the other).

> wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)

The best way to avoid cancelling the bag is not to carry wands of
cancellation *at all*. Leave them in a stash somewhere, and return there
when you *really* need to use one.

> invocation artifacts

Leave them behind at first, and come back for them only when you're
actually going to perform the ritual.

> that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep
> handy (few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
> luckstone, etc..)

Apart from a single healing potion, the key and the luckstone, I don't
think any of these are really necessary to keep outside your bag. And
personally, I don't even carry a healing potion. When you see something
approach that warrants carrying means of spedious escape or healing,
there's normally enough time to take all of these out in one turn.

> bags of holding can only hold a certain amount of stuff or else they
> explode. (I thought it was 26 items (a-z) but recently accendently put
> more than that in a bag of holding, so I don't know the limit, I guess
> it's possible I'm wrong about there being one).

Your last guess is correct.

A bag of holding can carry as many items as your carrying capacity
allows. The only thing about them is that a blessed one will decrease
the weight of what's inside by 75%, the amount of items that you can put
in is unlimited.

> I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
> burdened because I have too much stuff that I want to take with me and
> it won't all go in the bag of holding. (and I do bless my bag(s) of
> holding) So what's your advice? Or is there no limit on amount of
> stuff in a bag of holding and that's pretty much all I need to know?

You're really carrying way too much if you're running around burdened.
Leave most of your stuff in a box somewhere, and go back if you need to
resupply yourself.

As said, a bag of holding has no limit on the amount of stuff. The only
limit is your carrying capacity, since a quarter of the weight is still
left.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

April 11, 2005 2:56:28 PM

"David Justiss" <dajustis@hotmail.com> writes:

> How do you keep from being burdened?
>
> stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
> often-used weapons

Use one weapon (two at most) at a given time, and
stash away the rest safely.

> worn armor

Minimize your armor encumbrance by choosing light-weight
armor. Mithril chain is highly reccomendable.

> worn rings/amulets
> unicorn horn

I don't know if you really, really need it in the main inv.

> bag(s) of holding

But not stuffed with 10k scrolls, wands, etc..

> wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)
> invocation artifacts

That's something I like to dump in a safe place until
I make the final run.

> Or is there no limit on amount of stuff
> in a bag of holding and that's pretty much all I need to know?

You might, in theory, be interested in the art of placing
a BoH inside a BoH. Of course, it'll explode if you just
plainly put it inside. However, if you happen to acquire
some sacks, you can put the inner BoH inside the first
sack, the first sack into the second sack etc, and the last
sack inside the outer BoH. The optimal number of sacks
for this trick is 7; in this case, there is 'only' a 1/16
chance of blowing the whole mess up. (Of course, this is
of little practical value, since if you want to access the
items in the inner BoH, you'll have to re-insert it, facing
the blow-up chance again. The chance of blowing it up within
the first 11 usages would be more than 50%.)

But seriously, you can usually drop stuff you don't need,
then stuff you don't need exactly now, then stuff you don't
need so desperately exactly now, and then you're unencumbered.

Best,
Jakob
April 11, 2005 6:36:47 PM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> The best way to avoid cancelling the bag is not to carry wands of
> cancellation *at all*. Leave them in a stash somewhere, and return there
> when you *really* need to use one.

Almost as good way is to never put any wand in the bag. That's my
preferred solution since I'm not interested in backtracking to
stashes.
April 11, 2005 7:20:43 PM

[data relating encumbrance with speed]

Byron A Jeff wrote:

> You've stated the facts.
> But there is no associated context with it.
> Is it bad? Or is it not?

It is bad. Remember that almost everyone thinks of speed as
one of the most important attributes of a character. If
you lose 1 turn in 4, that means that every four turns
you will be frozen for one turn, giving opponents time to
attack you or to run up to you. You can't run away from
many monsters if you are encumbered (and you won't drop
your bag for running away, even if you do so for fighting).

> Does it ensure death? Or is it not too terribly bad?

It does not ensure death, but it makes it more likely to
occurr. Many times you can save your life by running, and
then you don't want to be slow, but fast or very fast.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:23:29 PM

David Justiss wrote:
> How do you keep from being burdened?

Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

> stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
> often-used weapons

1 sword, 1 bow.

> worn armor

which should be DSM

> worn rings/amulets
> unicorn horn
> bag(s) of holding

only one, containing just your food, your healing/gain energy potions
and your teleport/magical mapping scrolls. Maybe a few wands. Drop
everything else in a box near an altar and a pickax'd fountain.

> wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)

One is enough. Better still, carry an emergency sack with your /oC a
b?oRC and a !oHW.

> invocation artifacts
>
> that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep handy
> (few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
> luckstone, etc..)

key &luckstone should suffice.

> bags of holding can only hold a certain amount of stuff or else they
> explode.

Wrong. Any nethack bag can hold an infinite number (OK, maybe just
32768) of items.

> I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
> burdened

Don't. It will kill you in the long run.

Lars
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:23:30 PM

Lars Kecke wrote:
> David Justiss wrote:
>> I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
>> burdened
>
> Don't. It will kill you in the long run.

Probably in the short run, too. Being burdened is one of the fastest
ways to ensure death.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 10:23:31 PM

In article <d3ed2b$s4g$1@joe.rice.edu>,
Andy Johnson <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote:
>Lars Kecke wrote:
>> David Justiss wrote:

>>> I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
>>> burdened
>> Don't. It will kill you in the long run.

Maybe. It does consume more food. So you have to take care to make sure that
you don't tick your god off by praying too soon.

>Probably in the short run, too. Being burdened is one of the fastest
>ways to ensure death.

I don't think burdened is that too terribly bad especially when you are
carring stuff in a bag or a sack. During melee you simply drop the sack to
be unencumbered.

I find that the vasr majority of encumbrance comes from armor. It's one
reason why divine protection, enchant armor and dragon mail is so essential
because it gets your AC down without so much weight.

But in the early game, especially as a protection racketeer, weighty armor
is mor essential to survival than being unburdened.

BAJ
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:31:24 AM

byron@cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff) wrote:
>In article <d3ed2b$s4g$1@joe.rice.edu>,
>Andy Johnson <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote:
>>Probably in the short run, too. Being burdened is one of the fastest
>>ways to ensure death.
>
>I don't think burdened is that too terribly bad especially when you are
>carring stuff in a bag or a sack. During melee you simply drop the sack to
>be unencumbered.

Being burdened reduces your per-tick energy ration by approximately 25%
(disappointingly, this is rounded in the player's favour). This means
that unless you have extrinsic speed (i.e. speed boots or temporary
speed), sometimes you will miss a turn outright. If you have no speed
bonus, the timing of the missed turns is predictable (for every four
ticks, you will miss a turn); if you are Fast, you will miss a turn at
random (*usually*, but not always, large) intervals.

(If you are Very Fast, you will never miss a turn due to being
Burdened.)
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.ht...
Good riddance to the Pope.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:31:25 AM

In article <eZB*NERLq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>Being burdened reduces your per-tick energy ration by approximately 25%
>(disappointingly, this is rounded in the player's favour). This means
>that unless you have extrinsic speed (i.e. speed boots or temporary
>speed), sometimes you will miss a turn outright. If you have no speed
>bonus, the timing of the missed turns is predictable (for every four
>ticks, you will miss a turn); if you are Fast, you will miss a turn at
>random (*usually*, but not always, large) intervals.

>(If you are Very Fast, you will never miss a turn due to being
>Burdened.)

You've stated the facts.

But there is no associated context with it.

Is it bad? Or is it not?

What impact does it have upon dropping the bag and becoming unencumbered?

Does it ensure death? Or is it not too terribly bad?

What does it all mean to you?

Enquiring minds what to know!

BAJ
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 5:10:10 AM

Tommi Syrjanen wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
>
>>The best way to avoid cancelling the bag is not to carry wands of
>>cancellation *at all*. Leave them in a stash somewhere, and return there
>>when you *really* need to use one.
>
> Almost as good way is to never put any wand in the bag.

....any _unidentified_ wand and no wand of cancellation. That's my credo.

> That's my
> preferred solution since I'm not interested in backtracking to
> stashes.

Janis
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 5:17:35 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> David Justiss wrote:
>
>>that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep
>>handy (few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
>>luckstone, etc..)
>
> Apart from a single healing potion, the key and the luckstone, I don't
> think any of these are really necessary to keep outside your bag. And
> personally, I don't even carry a healing potion. When you see something
> approach that warrants carrying means of spedious escape or healing,
> there's normally enough time to take all of these out in one turn.

As soon as possible I carry one cursed (and one non-cursed) scroll of
teleport as an emergency exit, in case that something really nasty
shows up.

You don't need the scroll in most cases - resort to other solutions
instead - but in some cases you simply can avoid death.

Janis
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:38:44 AM

"Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

> David Justiss wrote:
> > How do you keep from being burdened?
>
> Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

bagless characters?
yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
get-real-far-every-game language.
yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
almost every game. (I think my favorites are the tourist, archeologist,
and wizard) I do best with barbarians. I think knights are the least
fun. And healers are probably the hardest. I've never gotten anywhere
with a healer.

> > stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
> > ..worn armor
>
> which should be DSM

I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
bit less than 1/3 of the time).
I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
mail? I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
can learn dagger, and when I'm a tourist I often carry a pile of darts
also. How far can I get before I should get rid of these? I'll carry
some darts around whichever class I am until I have a fooproof weapon.
I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
throwing. Is this a bad idea?

Asher

PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
plane (or anywhere).

April 12, 2005 9:41:28 AM

"Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

> David Justiss wrote:
> > How do you keep from being burdened?
>
> Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

bagless characters?
yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
get-real-far-every-game language.
yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
almost every game. (I think my favorites are the tourist, archeologist,
and wizard) I do best with barbarians. I think knights are the least
fun. And healers are probably the hardest. I've never gotten anywhere
with a healer.

> > ..worn armor (in main inv)
>
> which should be DSM

I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
bit less than 1/3 of the time).
I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
mail? I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
can learn dagger, how far can I get before I should get rid of these?
I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
throwing. Is this a bad idea?

Asher

PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
plane (or anywhere).

April 12, 2005 9:42:53 AM

"Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

> David Justiss wrote:
> > How do you keep from being burdened?
>
> Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

bagless characters?
yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
get-real-far-every-game language.
yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
almost every game.

> > ..worn armor (in main inv)
>
> which should be DSM

I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
bit less than 1/3 of the time).
I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
mail? I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
can learn dagger, how far can I get before I should get rid of these?
I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
throwing. Is this a bad idea?

Asher

PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
plane (or anywhere).

April 12, 2005 9:45:00 AM

"Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

> David Justiss wrote:
> > How do you keep from being burdened?
>
> Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

bagless characters?
yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
get-real-far-every-game language.
yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
almost every game.

> > ..worn armor (in main inv)
>
> which should be DSM

I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
bit less than 1/3 of the time).
I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

thanks

Asher

PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
plane (or anywhere).

April 12, 2005 11:20:30 PM

David Justiss wrote:

> bagless characters?
> yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..

Seriously, I don't think it's a good idea to try a bagless character,
unless you want to try a different conduct.

However, the previous poster was correct in saying that this will learn
you to make some choices about what you *really* need for your
character.

> yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
> easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
> almost every game. (I think my favorites are the tourist,
> archeologist, and wizard) I do best with barbarians. I think knights
> are the least fun. And healers are probably the hardest. I've never
> gotten anywhere with a healer.

I like playing random characters as well. I guess it teaches you more
about playing NetHack than always playing wizards, for example.

And I, too, don't like knights. I like healers best, however, and don't
think they're the most difficult.

> I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
> don't get wishes all that often.

I'm currently playing a wishless character (so far), which is also still
genodiceless (I did find a blessed scroll of genocide, and have also
found the Castle wand, but I don't want to use them unless absolutely
necessary).

> The most common early wishes are from
> smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
> need holy water

If I would get a random wish or genocide by quaffing or sitting on a
throne, I *would* use it, by the way. I play semi-wishless and
semi-genocideless: I take no direct action to actively pursue it (no
rubbing lamps, no zapping known wands of wishing, no purposely quaffing
smoky potions except for the potion effect, ...).

> and often it's a while before I find an alter other
> than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
> bit less than 1/3 of the time).

Not in my experience.

> I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
> put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
> me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

Uncharged wands of cancellation may be safely put in. Other dangerous
items are other bags of holding and charged bags of tricks. Those three
items are the only ones that can blow up the bag.

> So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
> it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
> mail?

For me, it depends on the class I'm playing. For wizards, I try not to
be too heavily armoured, even if I usually try to rely on (thrown)
daggers and my pet. It's just not stylish to wear metal armour as a
wizard. Other classes go as heavily armoured as possible, with the
exception of wearing plate mail. I usually head for the mines first, to
obtain at least elven mithril armour, or, better, dwarven.

> I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
> can learn dagger, and when I'm a tourist I often carry a pile of darts
> also. How far can I get before I should get rid of these?

Daggers can be kept, even for Gehennom. Enchanted a bit, they can deal
an enormous amount of damage when you start being able to throw more
than one per round. A rogue, throwing four +7 daggers per round, is
deadly.

Your supply of darts will deplete itself, by disappearing once in a
while.

> I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
> throwing. Is this a bad idea?

Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
in hand-to-hand combat. They really are dead weight, which you should
lose as soon as possible.

> PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
> wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
> than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
> same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums,
> etc.)

Plate mail rusts, bronze plate mail corrodes. That damage is, I think,
done by different monsters.

Polearms may be (a)pplied at a distance, which allows you, for example,
to kill sea monsters without giving them a chance of drowning you.

Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

April 13, 2005 12:04:34 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> I'm currently playing a wishless character (so far), which is also still
> genodiceless (I did find a blessed scroll of genocide, and have also
> found the Castle wand, but I don't want to use them unless absolutely
> necessary).

Hah! "genodiceless" 8-D Imagine playing "genodicefull", instead.

"You read a blessed scroll of genodice." <Anhur throwing the dice.>
"Wiped out all gnomes." <oops!> "Sorry, gnomish wizard! - DYWYPI?"

Janis
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:23:04 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
> ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

Not if you know how to use them.
Whistles: Pets will hear you and come to you
flutes: may put a snake to sleep with high dex( ok, so i never did
this i think it is useless, but you never know)
Drums: scare monsters but abuses wisdom. Worth the trade off for a
pacifist. Also wakes up a pet stunned by a floating eye
Horn: scares monsters without the wisdom abuse. also wakes up a pet
stunned by a floating eye.

Some of these can be used to open the castle gate.

Jorge
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:24:59 AM

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Boudewijn Waijers wrote the following -._
>> stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
>> often-used weapons
>
> No, only one.

Unless you are a wizard. In which case you will want one dagger or
magicbane and about 6 to 9 daggers for throwing.

For the general list I would have a potion of holy water in case your
bag gets cursed.

Added to the list for wizards should be a wand of sleep. Sometimes
this is better than a scroll of teleport.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

In article <d3h01e$363$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
>ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

Well, they are all useful, though not as useful as the magical
counterparts.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:03:54 PM

Quoting David Justiss <dajustis@hotmail.com>:
>So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game?

Stashes. Don't carry those unIDed scrolls and potions - and especially
hefty spellbooks.

It's rare that a character can't carry armour, melee weapon, some distance
weapons, and other useful items.

Perhaps you could post a typical inventory so we can look it over?
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Wednesday, April.

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message
news:D 3h01e$363$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl

> David Justiss wrote:
>
> > and often it's a while before I find an alter other
> > than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
> > bit less than 1/3 of the time).
>
> Not in my experience.

The RNG works against everyone in different ways.

> > I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
> > put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
> > me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.
>
> Uncharged wands of cancellation may be safely put in. Other dangerous
> items are other bags of holding and charged bags of tricks. Those three
> items are the only ones that can blow up the bag.

Didn't know about the bag of tricks, I thought there might've been
something I was forgetting.

> > I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
> > throwing. Is this a bad idea?
>
> Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
> in hand-to-hand combat. They really are dead weight, which you should
> lose as soon as possible.

Is a spear considered a throwing weapon? (or just the javelin/"throwing
spear"?) seems like they should be but I don't know.

> Polearms may be (a)pplied at a distance, which allows you, for example,
> to kill sea monsters without giving them a chance of drowning you.

...didn't think of that. I occationally use them against slow, splashing
blobs, but I always get rid of them pretty quickly and never thought of
using it against eels and krackens.

> Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
> ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

Bells only have one form and do the same thing as a tin whistle. Drums,
whether magical or not are almost completely useless especially since
the tooled horn has the same effect. and I really don't think taking a
different type of armor damage justifies the existance of the bronze
plate mail, but that is so such a trivial thing.

thanks for the tips. it still kinda tempting to carry around junk just
to sell or carry extra iron shoes to a shop 3-4 levels away to see if
they have a better enchantment than the ones I have, but I'll try to
resist. I really didn't think being burdened was significantly
different from not being burdened until I kept seeing it mentioned in
other messages.

Asher

April 14, 2005 11:45:55 AM

David Justiss <dajustis@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message
> news:D 3h01e$363$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl
>
>> David Justiss wrote:
>>
>> > I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
>> > throwing. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>> Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
>> in hand-to-hand combat. They really are dead weight, which you should
>> lose as soon as possible.
>
> Is a spear considered a throwing weapon? (or just the javelin/"throwing
> spear"?) seems like they should be but I don't know.

It appears you can throw *any* weapon. I've thrown swords before (to
munch a monster on the other side of a boulder I needed).

Actually, more correctly "you can throw just about anything", and some
of these things can do damage if they hit.

> thanks for the tips. it still kinda tempting to carry around junk just
> to sell or carry extra iron shoes to a shop 3-4 levels away to see if
> they have a better enchantment than the ones I have, but I'll try to
> resist. I really didn't think being burdened was significantly
> different from not being burdened until I kept seeing it mentioned in
> other messages.

It has some serious effect. It doesn't *seem* like much, until you
realize the monsters are spanking you faster than you can hit and run.

Keith
April 14, 2005 2:46:27 PM

"David Justiss" <dajustis@hotmail.com> writes:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message
> news:D 3h01e$363$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl
> > David Justiss wrote:
> > > I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
> > > throwing. Is this a bad idea?
> >
> > Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
> > in hand-to-hand combat.

This is not the case; any thrown weapon will do normal damage should
it hit, except ammo-type things (arrows, etc) thrown by hand.
Non-throwing weapons get a to-hit penalty, that's all.

> Is a spear considered a throwing weapon? (or just the javelin/"throwing
> spear"?) seems like they should be but I don't know.

Yes. From weap-343.txt's section on to-hit bonuses:

+ 2 with throwing weapons (daggers (except athames), knives (except
scalpels and worm teeth), spears, javelins, war hammers, aklys, darts,
shuriken).
+ -2 with non-throwing weapons.

> > Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
> > ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.
>
> Bells only have one form and do the same thing as a tin whistle.

Well, there's one particular magical bell.

: "Peek-a-boo, I can't see you, everything must be grand; :
: Boo-ka-pee, you can't see me, as long as I've got me head in t'sand..." :
: -- Michael Flanders, "The Ostrich" :
April 14, 2005 11:21:05 PM

In article <86is2pbsi4.fsf@strackenz.spod-central.org>,
Dylan O'Donnell <psmith@spod-central.org> wrote:

>> Bells only have one form and do the same thing as a tin whistle.
>
>Well, there's one particular magical bell.

Cursed bells don't summon nymphs?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:59:50 AM

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, David Justiss wrote the following -._
> Drums, whether magical or not are almost completely useless
> especially since the tooled horn has the same effect.

Unless you haven't found a horn yet and you have a drum. There have
been many times where beeting on a drum for a trun gave me enough
breathing room to E-word.

--
!