avoiding encumberance

How do you keep from being burdened?

stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
often-used weapons
worn armor
worn rings/amulets
unicorn horn
bag(s) of holding
wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)
invocation artifacts

that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep handy
(few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
luckstone, etc..)

bags of holding can only hold a certain amount of stuff or else they
explode. (I thought it was 26 items (a-z) but recently accendently put
more than that in a bag of holding, so I don't know the limit, I guess
it's possible I'm wrong about there being one).

I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
burdened because I have too much stuff that I want to take with me and
it won't all go in the bag of holding. (and I do bless my bag(s) of
holding) So what's your advice? Or is there no limit on amount of stuff
in a bag of holding and that's pretty much all I need to know?

Asher

More about avoiding encumberance

    David Justiss wrote:

    > How do you keep from being burdened?

    Don't carry unnecessary stuff!

    > stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
    > often-used weapons

    No, only one.

    > worn armor
    > worn rings/amulets
    > unicorn horn

    Indeed.

    > bag(s) of holding

    ONLY ONE (to avoid the possibility of putting one inside the other).

    > wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)

    The best way to avoid cancelling the bag is not to carry wands of
    cancellation *at all*. Leave them in a stash somewhere, and return there
    when you *really* need to use one.

    > invocation artifacts

    Leave them behind at first, and come back for them only when you're
    actually going to perform the ritual.

    > that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep
    > handy (few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
    > luckstone, etc..)

    Apart from a single healing potion, the key and the luckstone, I don't
    think any of these are really necessary to keep outside your bag. And
    personally, I don't even carry a healing potion. When you see something
    approach that warrants carrying means of spedious escape or healing,
    there's normally enough time to take all of these out in one turn.

    > bags of holding can only hold a certain amount of stuff or else they
    > explode. (I thought it was 26 items (a-z) but recently accendently put
    > more than that in a bag of holding, so I don't know the limit, I guess
    > it's possible I'm wrong about there being one).

    Your last guess is correct.

    A bag of holding can carry as many items as your carrying capacity
    allows. The only thing about them is that a blessed one will decrease
    the weight of what's inside by 75%, the amount of items that you can put
    in is unlimited.

    > I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
    > burdened because I have too much stuff that I want to take with me and
    > it won't all go in the bag of holding. (and I do bless my bag(s) of
    > holding) So what's your advice? Or is there no limit on amount of
    > stuff in a bag of holding and that's pretty much all I need to know?

    You're really carrying way too much if you're running around burdened.
    Leave most of your stuff in a box somewhere, and go back if you need to
    resupply yourself.

    As said, a bag of holding has no limit on the amount of stuff. The only
    limit is your carrying capacity, since a quarter of the weight is still
    left.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

    "David Justiss" <dajustis@hotmail.com> writes:

    > How do you keep from being burdened?
    >
    > stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
    > often-used weapons

    Use one weapon (two at most) at a given time, and
    stash away the rest safely.

    > worn armor

    Minimize your armor encumbrance by choosing light-weight
    armor. Mithril chain is highly reccomendable.

    > worn rings/amulets
    > unicorn horn

    I don't know if you really, really need it in the main inv.

    > bag(s) of holding

    But not stuffed with 10k scrolls, wands, etc..

    > wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)
    > invocation artifacts

    That's something I like to dump in a safe place until
    I make the final run.

    > Or is there no limit on amount of stuff
    > in a bag of holding and that's pretty much all I need to know?

    You might, in theory, be interested in the art of placing
    a BoH inside a BoH. Of course, it'll explode if you just
    plainly put it inside. However, if you happen to acquire
    some sacks, you can put the inner BoH inside the first
    sack, the first sack into the second sack etc, and the last
    sack inside the outer BoH. The optimal number of sacks
    for this trick is 7; in this case, there is 'only' a 1/16
    chance of blowing the whole mess up. (Of course, this is
    of little practical value, since if you want to access the
    items in the inner BoH, you'll have to re-insert it, facing
    the blow-up chance again. The chance of blowing it up within
    the first 11 usages would be more than 50%.)

    But seriously, you can usually drop stuff you don't need,
    then stuff you don't need exactly now, then stuff you don't
    need so desperately exactly now, and then you're unencumbered.

    Best,
    Jakob

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

    > The best way to avoid cancelling the bag is not to carry wands of
    > cancellation *at all*. Leave them in a stash somewhere, and return there
    > when you *really* need to use one.

    Almost as good way is to never put any wand in the bag. That's my
    preferred solution since I'm not interested in backtracking to
    stashes.

    [data relating encumbrance with speed]

    Byron A Jeff wrote:

    > You've stated the facts.
    > But there is no associated context with it.
    > Is it bad? Or is it not?

    It is bad. Remember that almost everyone thinks of speed as
    one of the most important attributes of a character. If
    you lose 1 turn in 4, that means that every four turns
    you will be frozen for one turn, giving opponents time to
    attack you or to run up to you. You can't run away from
    many monsters if you are encumbered (and you won't drop
    your bag for running away, even if you do so for fighting).

    > Does it ensure death? Or is it not too terribly bad?

    It does not ensure death, but it makes it more likely to
    occurr. Many times you can save your life by running, and
    then you don't want to be slow, but fast or very fast.

    David Justiss wrote:
    > How do you keep from being burdened?

    Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

    > stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
    > often-used weapons

    1 sword, 1 bow.

    > worn armor

    which should be DSM

    > worn rings/amulets
    > unicorn horn
    > bag(s) of holding

    only one, containing just your food, your healing/gain energy potions
    and your teleport/magical mapping scrolls. Maybe a few wands. Drop
    everything else in a box near an altar and a pickax'd fountain.

    > wand(s) of cancellation (cause they'll destroy the bag)

    One is enough. Better still, carry an emergency sack with your /oC a
    b?oRC and a !oHW.

    > invocation artifacts
    >
    > that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep handy
    > (few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
    > luckstone, etc..)

    key &luckstone should suffice.

    > bags of holding can only hold a certain amount of stuff or else they
    > explode.

    Wrong. Any nethack bag can hold an infinite number (OK, maybe just
    32768) of items.

    > I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
    > burdened

    Don't. It will kill you in the long run.

    Lars
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Lars Kecke wrote:
    > David Justiss wrote:
    >> I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
    >> burdened
    >
    > Don't. It will kill you in the long run.

    Probably in the short run, too. Being burdened is one of the fastest
    ways to ensure death.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <d3ed2b$s4g$1@joe.rice.edu>,
    Andy Johnson <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote:
    >Lars Kecke wrote:
    >> David Justiss wrote:

    >>> I always make sure to avoid being stressed, but I usually go around
    >>> burdened
    >> Don't. It will kill you in the long run.

    Maybe. It does consume more food. So you have to take care to make sure that
    you don't tick your god off by praying too soon.

    >Probably in the short run, too. Being burdened is one of the fastest
    >ways to ensure death.

    I don't think burdened is that too terribly bad especially when you are
    carring stuff in a bag or a sack. During melee you simply drop the sack to
    be unencumbered.

    I find that the vasr majority of encumbrance comes from armor. It's one
    reason why divine protection, enchant armor and dragon mail is so essential
    because it gets your AC down without so much weight.

    But in the early game, especially as a protection racketeer, weighty armor
    is mor essential to survival than being unburdened.

    BAJ
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    byron@cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff) wrote:
    >In article <d3ed2b$s4g$1@joe.rice.edu>,
    >Andy Johnson <usenet@take-this.out.swervy.tk> wrote:
    >>Probably in the short run, too. Being burdened is one of the fastest
    >>ways to ensure death.
    >
    >I don't think burdened is that too terribly bad especially when you are
    >carring stuff in a bag or a sack. During melee you simply drop the sack to
    >be unencumbered.

    Being burdened reduces your per-tick energy ration by approximately 25%
    (disappointingly, this is rounded in the player's favour). This means
    that unless you have extrinsic speed (i.e. speed boots or temporary
    speed), sometimes you will miss a turn outright. If you have no speed
    bonus, the timing of the missed turns is predictable (for every four
    ticks, you will miss a turn); if you are Fast, you will miss a turn at
    random (*usually*, but not always, large) intervals.

    (If you are Very Fast, you will never miss a turn due to being
    Burdened.)
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
    Good riddance to the Pope.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <eZB*NERLq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

    Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
    >Being burdened reduces your per-tick energy ration by approximately 25%
    >(disappointingly, this is rounded in the player's favour). This means
    >that unless you have extrinsic speed (i.e. speed boots or temporary
    >speed), sometimes you will miss a turn outright. If you have no speed
    >bonus, the timing of the missed turns is predictable (for every four
    >ticks, you will miss a turn); if you are Fast, you will miss a turn at
    >random (*usually*, but not always, large) intervals.

    >(If you are Very Fast, you will never miss a turn due to being
    >Burdened.)

    You've stated the facts.

    But there is no associated context with it.

    Is it bad? Or is it not?

    What impact does it have upon dropping the bag and becoming unencumbered?

    Does it ensure death? Or is it not too terribly bad?

    What does it all mean to you?

    Enquiring minds what to know!

    BAJ
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Tommi Syrjanen wrote:
    > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
    >
    >>The best way to avoid cancelling the bag is not to carry wands of
    >>cancellation *at all*. Leave them in a stash somewhere, and return there
    >>when you *really* need to use one.
    >
    > Almost as good way is to never put any wand in the bag.

    ....any _unidentified_ wand and no wand of cancellation. That's my credo.

    > That's my
    > preferred solution since I'm not interested in backtracking to
    > stashes.

    Janis
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > David Justiss wrote:
    >
    >>that adds up and there's other non-essential stuff I like to keep
    >>handy (few wands, teleport scrolls, healing potions, some food, key,
    >>luckstone, etc..)
    >
    > Apart from a single healing potion, the key and the luckstone, I don't
    > think any of these are really necessary to keep outside your bag. And
    > personally, I don't even carry a healing potion. When you see something
    > approach that warrants carrying means of spedious escape or healing,
    > there's normally enough time to take all of these out in one turn.

    As soon as possible I carry one cursed (and one non-cursed) scroll of
    teleport as an emergency exit, in case that something really nasty
    shows up.

    You don't need the scroll in most cases - resort to other solutions
    instead - but in some cases you simply can avoid death.

    Janis
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

    > David Justiss wrote:
    > > How do you keep from being burdened?
    >
    > Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

    bagless characters?
    yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
    I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
    maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
    whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
    get-real-far-every-game language.
    yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
    easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
    almost every game. (I think my favorites are the tourist, archeologist,
    and wizard) I do best with barbarians. I think knights are the least
    fun. And healers are probably the hardest. I've never gotten anywhere
    with a healer.

    > > stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
    > > ..worn armor
    >
    > which should be DSM

    I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
    don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
    smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
    need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
    than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
    bit less than 1/3 of the time).
    I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
    put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
    me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

    So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
    it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
    mail? I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
    can learn dagger, and when I'm a tourist I often carry a pile of darts
    also. How far can I get before I should get rid of these? I'll carry
    some darts around whichever class I am until I have a fooproof weapon.
    I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
    throwing. Is this a bad idea?

    Asher

    PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
    wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
    than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
    same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

    PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
    archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
    pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
    plane (or anywhere).

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

    > David Justiss wrote:
    > > How do you keep from being burdened?
    >
    > Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

    bagless characters?
    yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
    I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
    maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
    whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
    get-real-far-every-game language.
    yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
    easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
    almost every game. (I think my favorites are the tourist, archeologist,
    and wizard) I do best with barbarians. I think knights are the least
    fun. And healers are probably the hardest. I've never gotten anywhere
    with a healer.

    > > ..worn armor (in main inv)
    >
    > which should be DSM

    I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
    don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
    smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
    need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
    than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
    bit less than 1/3 of the time).
    I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
    put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
    me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

    So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
    it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
    mail? I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
    can learn dagger, how far can I get before I should get rid of these?
    I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
    throwing. Is this a bad idea?

    Asher

    PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
    wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
    than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
    same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

    PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
    archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
    pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
    plane (or anywhere).

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

    > David Justiss wrote:
    > > How do you keep from being burdened?
    >
    > Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

    bagless characters?
    yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
    I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
    maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
    whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
    get-real-far-every-game language.
    yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
    easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
    almost every game.

    > > ..worn armor (in main inv)
    >
    > which should be DSM

    I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
    don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
    smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
    need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
    than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
    bit less than 1/3 of the time).
    I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
    put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
    me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

    So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
    it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
    mail? I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
    can learn dagger, how far can I get before I should get rid of these?
    I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
    throwing. Is this a bad idea?

    Asher

    PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
    wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
    than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
    same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

    PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
    archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
    pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
    plane (or anywhere).

  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Lars Kecke" <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message

    > David Justiss wrote:
    > > How do you keep from being burdened?
    >
    > Try a few bagless characters to see what stuff you _really_ need.

    bagless characters?
    yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..
    I have a bagless character every time I don't find a bag.
    maybe I should state that I've gotten past the castle only once ever
    whenever I ask a question so I won't get the answer in assuming-you-
    get-real-far-every-game language.
    yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
    easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
    almost every game.

    > > ..worn armor (in main inv)
    >
    > which should be DSM

    I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
    don't get wishes all that often. The most common early wishes are from
    smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
    need holy water and often it's a while before I find an alter other
    than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
    bit less than 1/3 of the time).
    I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
    put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
    me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

    thanks

    Asher

    PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
    wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
    than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
    same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums, etc.)

    PPS This just popped in there: I find it funny that monks, healers,
    archeologists, rangers, most priests and wizards, or any players with
    pasafist conduct could be considered War incarnate on the astrial
    plane (or anywhere).

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    David Justiss wrote:

    > bagless characters?
    > yeah, that'll keep me from being burderened..

    Seriously, I don't think it's a good idea to try a bagless character,
    unless you want to try a different conduct.

    However, the previous poster was correct in saying that this will learn
    you to make some choices about what you *really* need for your
    character.

    > yeah, I do better a lot more often if I just stuck to playing the
    > easier characters, but I like variety and I switch what class I play
    > almost every game. (I think my favorites are the tourist,
    > archeologist, and wizard) I do best with barbarians. I think knights
    > are the least fun. And healers are probably the hardest. I've never
    > gotten anywhere with a healer.

    I like playing random characters as well. I guess it teaches you more
    about playing NetHack than always playing wizards, for example.

    And I, too, don't like knights. I like healers best, however, and don't
    think they're the most difficult.

    > I don't get DSM very often, I usually get it as my first wish, but I
    > don't get wishes all that often.

    I'm currently playing a wishless character (so far), which is also still
    genodiceless (I did find a blessed scroll of genocide, and have also
    found the Castle wand, but I don't want to use them unless absolutely
    necessary).

    > The most common early wishes are from
    > smoky potions and magic lamps, but for both of these you usually also
    > need holy water

    If I would get a random wish or genocide by quaffing or sitting on a
    throne, I *would* use it, by the way. I play semi-wishless and
    semi-genocideless: I take no direct action to actively pursue it (no
    rubbing lamps, no zapping known wands of wishing, no purposely quaffing
    smoky potions except for the potion effect, ...).

    > and often it's a while before I find an alter other
    > than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
    > bit less than 1/3 of the time).

    Not in my experience.

    > I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
    > put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
    > me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.

    Uncharged wands of cancellation may be safely put in. Other dangerous
    items are other bags of holding and charged bags of tricks. Those three
    items are the only ones that can blow up the bag.

    > So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game? Is
    > it worth it to replace studded leather with heavier scale or chain
    > mail?

    For me, it depends on the class I'm playing. For wizards, I try not to
    be too heavily armoured, even if I usually try to rely on (thrown)
    daggers and my pet. It's just not stylish to wear metal armour as a
    wizard. Other classes go as heavily armoured as possible, with the
    exception of wearing plate mail. I usually head for the mines first, to
    obtain at least elven mithril armour, or, better, dwarven.

    > I usually like to carry a dagger stack whenever I'm a class that
    > can learn dagger, and when I'm a tourist I often carry a pile of darts
    > also. How far can I get before I should get rid of these?

    Daggers can be kept, even for Gehennom. Enchanted a bit, they can deal
    an enormous amount of damage when you start being able to throw more
    than one per round. A rogue, throwing four +7 daggers per round, is
    deadly.

    Your supply of darts will deplete itself, by disappearing once in a
    while.

    > I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
    > throwing. Is this a bad idea?

    Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
    in hand-to-hand combat. They really are dead weight, which you should
    lose as soon as possible.

    > PS What's the point of bronze plate mail being in the game? I never
    > wear any plate mail anyway cause it's too heavy, and bronze is worse
    > than normal plate mail but weighs no less. (of course I could say the
    > same thing about several other things like polearms, bells, drums,
    > etc.)

    Plate mail rusts, bronze plate mail corrodes. That damage is, I think,
    done by different monsters.

    Polearms may be (a)pplied at a distance, which allows you, for example,
    to kill sea monsters without giving them a chance of drowning you.

    Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
    ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > I'm currently playing a wishless character (so far), which is also still
    > genodiceless (I did find a blessed scroll of genocide, and have also
    > found the Castle wand, but I don't want to use them unless absolutely
    > necessary).

    Hah! "genodiceless" 8-D Imagine playing "genodicefull", instead.

    "You read a blessed scroll of genodice." <Anhur throwing the dice.>
    "Wiped out all gnomes." <oops!> "Sorry, gnomish wizard! - DYWYPI?"

    Janis
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
    > ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

    Not if you know how to use them.
    Whistles: Pets will hear you and come to you
    flutes: may put a snake to sleep with high dex( ok, so i never did
    this i think it is useless, but you never know)
    Drums: scare monsters but abuses wisdom. Worth the trade off for a
    pacifist. Also wakes up a pet stunned by a floating eye
    Horn: scares monsters without the wisdom abuse. also wakes up a pet
    stunned by a floating eye.

    Some of these can be used to open the castle gate.

    Jorge
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    _.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Boudewijn Waijers wrote the following -._
    >> stuff you need to keep in main inventory:
    >> often-used weapons
    >
    > No, only one.

    Unless you are a wizard. In which case you will want one dagger or
    magicbane and about 6 to 9 daggers for throwing.

    For the general list I would have a potion of holy water in case your
    bag gets cursed.

    Added to the list for wizards should be a wand of sleep. Sometimes
    this is better than a scroll of teleport.

    --
    .-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

    In article <d3h01e$363$1@news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
    Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

    >Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
    >ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

    Well, they are all useful, though not as useful as the magical
    counterparts.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Quoting David Justiss <dajustis@hotmail.com>:
    >So, are there any tricks for not being burdened in the early game?

    Stashes. Don't carry those unIDed scrolls and potions - and especially
    hefty spellbooks.

    It's rare that a character can't carry armour, melee weapon, some distance
    weapons, and other useful items.

    Perhaps you could post a typical inventory so we can look it over?
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
    Today is Wednesday, April.

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message

    > David Justiss wrote:
    >
    > > and often it's a while before I find an alter other
    > > than the one in minetown. (Which really seems to be cooaligned a good
    > > bit less than 1/3 of the time).
    >
    > Not in my experience.

    The RNG works against everyone in different ways.

    > > I'm glad to know that bags of holding don't have limits. I probably
    > > put an unIDed wand of cancellation in a BoH a time or two and it made
    > > me think they have a limit. That'll help a lot.
    >
    > Uncharged wands of cancellation may be safely put in. Other dangerous
    > items are other bags of holding and charged bags of tricks. Those three
    > items are the only ones that can blow up the bag.

    Didn't know about the bag of tricks, I thought there might've been
    something I was forgetting.

    > > I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
    > > throwing. Is this a bad idea?
    >
    > Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
    > in hand-to-hand combat. They really are dead weight, which you should
    > lose as soon as possible.

    Is a spear considered a throwing weapon? (or just the javelin/"throwing
    spear"?) seems like they should be but I don't know.

    > Polearms may be (a)pplied at a distance, which allows you, for example,
    > to kill sea monsters without giving them a chance of drowning you.

    ...didn't think of that. I occationally use them against slow, splashing
    blobs, but I always get rid of them pretty quickly and never thought of
    using it against eels and krackens.

    > Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
    > ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.

    Bells only have one form and do the same thing as a tin whistle. Drums,
    whether magical or not are almost completely useless especially since
    the tooled horn has the same effect. and I really don't think taking a
    different type of armor damage justifies the existance of the bronze
    plate mail, but that is so such a trivial thing.

    thanks for the tips. it still kinda tempting to carry around junk just
    to sell or carry extra iron shoes to a shop 3-4 levels away to see if
    they have a better enchantment than the ones I have, but I'll try to
    resist. I really didn't think being burdened was significantly
    different from not being burdened until I kept seeing it mentioned in
    other messages.

    Asher

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    David Justiss <dajustis@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message
    >
    >> David Justiss wrote:
    >>
    >> > I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
    >> > throwing. Is this a bad idea?
    >>
    >> Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
    >> in hand-to-hand combat. They really are dead weight, which you should
    >> lose as soon as possible.
    >
    > Is a spear considered a throwing weapon? (or just the javelin/"throwing
    > spear"?) seems like they should be but I don't know.

    It appears you can throw *any* weapon. I've thrown swords before (to
    munch a monster on the other side of a boulder I needed).

    Actually, more correctly "you can throw just about anything", and some
    of these things can do damage if they hit.

    > thanks for the tips. it still kinda tempting to carry around junk just
    > to sell or carry extra iron shoes to a shop 3-4 levels away to see if
    > they have a better enchantment than the ones I have, but I'll try to
    > resist. I really didn't think being burdened was significantly
    > different from not being burdened until I kept seeing it mentioned in
    > other messages.

    It has some serious effect. It doesn't *seem* like much, until you
    realize the monsters are spanking you faster than you can hit and run.

    Keith
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "David Justiss" <dajustis@hotmail.com> writes:
    > "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in message
    > > David Justiss wrote:
    > > > I also often carry around other plussed weapons when I find them for
    > > > throwing. Is this a bad idea?
    > >
    > > Yes. Non-throwing weapons deal almost no damage when you don't use them
    > > in hand-to-hand combat.

    This is not the case; any thrown weapon will do normal damage should
    it hit, except ammo-type things (arrows, etc) thrown by hand.
    Non-throwing weapons get a to-hit penalty, that's all.

    > Is a spear considered a throwing weapon? (or just the javelin/"throwing
    > spear"?) seems like they should be but I don't know.

    Yes. From weap-343.txt's section on to-hit bonuses:

    + 2 with throwing weapons (daggers (except athames), knives (except
    scalpels and worm teeth), spears, javelins, war hammers, aklys, darts,
    shuriken).
    + -2 with non-throwing weapons.

    > > Bells, drums, whistles, flutes, etc. exist in two varieties: magical
    > > ones and ordinary ones. The latter are only there to confuse you.
    >
    > Bells only have one form and do the same thing as a tin whistle.

    Well, there's one particular magical bell.

    : "Peek-a-boo, I can't see you, everything must be grand; :
    : Boo-ka-pee, you can't see me, as long as I've got me head in t'sand..." :
    : -- Michael Flanders, "The Ostrich" :
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <86is2pbsi4.fsf@strackenz.spod-central.org>,
    Dylan O'Donnell <psmith@spod-central.org> wrote:

    >> Bells only have one form and do the same thing as a tin whistle.
    >
    >Well, there's one particular magical bell.

    Cursed bells don't summon nymphs?
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    _.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, David Justiss wrote the following -._
    > Drums, whether magical or not are almost completely useless
    > especially since the tooled horn has the same effect.

    Unless you haven't found a horn yet and you have a drum. There have
    been many times where beeting on a drum for a trun gave me enough
    breathing room to E-word.

    --
    .-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
    ((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
    ((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

Games Video Games