Enabling "MacGraphics" option in Carbon port?

If I enable the MacGraphics option in the Carbon port of NetHack, I
only get garbage characters rather than line-drawing characters. Is
there anything else I need to do to get this to work correctly, or is
this option broken when running under OS X (10.3)?

Also, I'd like to have the background be black and the foreground be
white rather than the other way around. There's a commented-out line
in the options file that does this, but has warnings about it being
obsolete and unsupported. Is there a non-obsolete way to obtain
reverse video with this port?

--
Karl Garrison

On 12/4/2005 9:03 AM, in article
1113253408.715474.307280@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
"hermes_917@yahoo.com" <kgarrison@pobox.com> wrote:

> If I enable the MacGraphics option in the Carbon port of NetHack, I
> only get garbage characters rather than line-drawing characters. Is
> there anything else I need to do to get this to work correctly, or is
> this option broken when running under OS X (10.3)?
>
> Also, I'd like to have the background be black and the foreground be
> white rather than the other way around. There's a commented-out line
> in the options file that does this, but has warnings about it being
> obsolete and unsupported. Is there a non-obsolete way to obtain
> reverse video with this port?

Here is the contents of my NetHack Defaults file. Works for me:

# SCCS Id: @(#)NetHack Defaults 3.4 2002/03/15
# Copyright (c) 2002 by Dean Luick, Mark Modrall, and Kevin Hugo
# NetHack may be freely redistributed. See license for details.
#
# Default settings for the Macintosh port of NetHack.
# Lines beginning with a `#' character are "comments" and are
# ignored all the way to the end of the line. Using this
# method, some of the lines below have been disabled so you
# can see an example without having those options actually
# set. Remove the `#' character to "uncomment" the line and
# allow those options to take effect.

### Display ###
# Uncomment for the traditional single-window tty interface
#OPTIONS=win:tty

# Boulder symbol
OPTIONS=boulder:0

# Color
OPTIONS=color

# Fonts
#OPTIONS=font_map:NewHackFont,font_size_map:20

#OPTIONS=font_menu:geneva,font_size_menu:20
#OPTIONS=font_message:pSHackFont,font_size_message:20
#OPTIONS=font_status:monaco,font_size_status:20
#OPTIONS=font_text:geneva,font_size_text:20
#OPTIONS=font_map:NewHackFont,font_size_map:16,font_size_message:14,font_siz
e_message:14,font_size_text:14
OPTIONS=!macgraphics,font_size_map:16,font_size_message:14,font_size_message
:14,font_size_text:14

# Don't make dark corridors look like lit corridors
OPTIONS=!lit_corridor

# Enable sound and beeps
#OPTIONS=sound,!silent

### Start-up and ending ###
# Don't display the game introduction and new feature list at start
#OPTIONS=!legacy,!news

# Save game state periodically in case of crashes (recommended)
OPTIONS=checkpoint

# How to prompt for things after death
#OPTIONS=disclose:+i na -v yg nc

# Show tombstone and top scores at death
OPTIONS=tombstone,scores:10t/3a/o

# Show top ten list in its own window
#OPTIONS=toptenwin

### User input and feedback ###
# Choose between menus or text prompts
# (traditional, combination, partial, or full)
OPTIONS=menustyle:full

# Extended (`#') commands by menu
#OPTIONS=extmenu

# Increase the number of message lines remembered
#OPTIONS=msghistory:60

# Enable the number pad keys
OPTIONS=number_pad

# Pause for --more-- and make it boldface
OPTIONS=page_wait,standout

# Ask for confirmation with the #pray command
OPTIONS=prayconfirm

# Allow spacebar as rest command
#OPTIONS=rest_on_space

# Display experience, score, and time on status line
OPTIONS=showexp,showscore,time

# Turn off animations
#OPTIONS=!sparkle

# Display a little more information with some commands
#OPTIONS=suppress_alert:3.3.0
OPTIONS=verbose

### Character ###
# A Valkyrie...
#OPTIONS=name:Brunhilda,role:Val

# The old way works, too:
#OPTIONS=name:Brunhilda-V

# How about an Elven Ranger?
#OPTIONS=name:Silwa,role:Ranger,race:Elf,gender:Male

# Always a human female
#OPTIONS=race:human,female

# Or leave them commented out and the game will ask you

### Inventory ###
# Automatically dig if wielding a pick
#OPTIONS=autodig

# Disable autopickup (toggle it with the `@' command)
OPTIONS=autopickup,pickup_types:$

# Automatically fill the quiver
OPTIONS=autoquiver

# Don't use fixed inventory letters
#OPTIONS=!fixinv,perm_invent,sortpack

# What you want to call slime molds
#OPTIONS=fruit:grape

# Desired inventory display order
#OPTIONS=packorder:)[(

# How much you're willing to carry without confirmation
#OPTIONS=pickup_burden:B

# Put weapon in secondary slot when wielding another
#OPTIONS=pushweapon

### Pets ###
# What to call your starting pet, and its type
#OPTIONS=dogname:Quinn,catname:Vladimir,horsename:Silver,pettype:dog

# Don't intentionally attack your pets
OPTIONS=confirm,!hilite_pet,safe_pet

### Unused options ###

# Now obsolete
#
# background, large_font, popup_dialog, use_stone
# Obsolete way to obtain reverse video; use at your own risk
OPTIONS=palette:000/c22/2c2/ca0/22c/a2a/2aa/ccc/999/f00/0f0/dd0/00f/d0d/0dd/
fff/999/444/622/62c/-222

# Options used in tty window mode, but not mac window mode
#
# menu_..., msg_window, timed_delay, use_inverse, vary_msgcount

# Options used by other ports but not Macintosh:
#
# align_message, align_status, ascii_map, BIOS, checkspace,
# decgraphics, eight_bit_tty, ibmgraphics, ignintr, mail,
# map_mode, null, player_selection, preload_tiles, rawio,
# splash_screen, tiled_map, tile_..., videocolors, videoshades,
# windowcolors

# End-of-file

Thanks, but it looks like you have macgraphics disabled in your config
file as well (!macgraphics). If you enable the macgraphics option
while in the game, do you also see garbage characters?

I'm wondering if there needs to be any special settings to map to the
correct glyphs in the "NewHackFont" font, or if this font doesn't work
in the Carbon port (which is presumably why the option is disabled by
default).

--
Karl Garrison

Jun 10, 2020
To enable MACgraphics, I use these option settings in the .nethackrc file.

OPTIONS=symset:MACgraphics, roguesymset:MACgraphics, color, menucolors, eight_bit_tty

You will also need to go into you terminal preferences under advanced in the international section and set the character encoding to Latin-US (DOS).