Sign in with
Your question

What kind of pc do you reccommend to ur friends ?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 6:43:35 AM

Do you reccommend AMD or Intel?

P.S

I am an OLD HAND today heh ^^

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 6:49:29 AM

Depends on if they're stupid or not.
Technically smart (somewhat) AMD
Technically stupid (idiotic) Intel

I myself use intel, so by my logic I am a stupid idiot...
May 21, 2001 6:58:22 AM

that means im stupid too!
but then again... i got my p2-300 back in the glory days where intel was god.
and i was just a little minion of intels darkness lol
now i choose on a strict performace bang per BUCK.

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 3:07:47 PM

I just recommend staying away from a Celeron, don't think they are worth it.

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>
May 21, 2001 3:24:30 PM

I recommend total systems.
anything less is arrogant and borderline irresponsible.
AMD vs Intel doesn't come into play as much when recommending computers to people that depend on my knowledge.
I could say AMD and they'd go buy a bargain price K6 2 350, or an Athlon classic, which takes the upgrade feature and throws it right out the window. You'd be just as well off to get a PIII or Williamette.
I'll recommend they get an Intel if it serves their purpose better, which will usually involve a cheap computer, PIII on an 815, its integrated and upgradeable.
If they need power and a long lifespan of upgradeability, Athlon or Duron on a KT133, and then both systems depend entirely on who they buy them from.
Its not a black and white, Intel vs AMD thing here.

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 3:32:50 PM

My dual p3 733's are nice and fast. On a 440gx its rock solid. Win2k run's it beautifully. Well wont want an AMD you people are jerks. Calling me stupid for buy a rock solid stable system. What about the AMD 760 using the plague VIA686b southbridge.

From looking at this i decided this answer:

Nice Intel users -> people with real answers
other intel users -> JERK's and Flamers
AMD users -> pure out jerks to the full of there ability's

I only steal the princess cause she is hot ;*)
May 21, 2001 3:41:49 PM

Quote:

Let me see,
I'll make 3 groups and brand each person into one of them. Wahay I've just categorised the whole home computing world in 2 easy steps.
I suppose u used ur dual P3 setup to figure that out!

If ur trying to come across as a "Nice Intel User" then why is that a pill of bs.

<font color=blue>Elephants are the only animals that can't jump. Just as well!</font color=blue>
May 21, 2001 3:44:53 PM

You AMD guys need to calm down alittle bit.

!!! Leader of the Anti Nvidia Army !!!
May 21, 2001 3:49:22 PM

I always recommend my old machine parts to my friend. NEVER let them ask, "If its so good, why are you selling it?"

:wink:

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>
May 21, 2001 3:49:24 PM

Quote:
My dual p3 733's are nice and fast. On a 440gx its rock solid. Win2k run's it beautifully. Well wont want an AMD you people are jerks. Calling me stupid for buy a rock solid stable system. What about the AMD 760 using the plague VIA686b southbridge.

1. why was this directed at me? what the hell did I say about your computer, dual systems or otherwise?
2. your listing of people. I use BOTH. I think you need to modify your list to include pricks that label people.
3. there are idiots and flamers on both sides, sounds like you've picked yours. most of the smart people see the negatives and positives of both sides.

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
May 21, 2001 3:49:33 PM

Right now I'm telling people to get a pre-built system from Alienware or Falcon Northwest, and depending on the money they want to spend, anything from a Duron 850MHz, to a 1.2GHz Athlon. Why AMD? Because when I comes to a system that is comperable in performance, AMD will win, and when you have a system built by Alien and Falcon, they will make sure everything works perfectly before it leaves the factory, and if it doesn't they have kick ass tech support. I, personally, would rather build my own, but not all my friends have the time, energy, or know-how.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.
May 21, 2001 4:06:16 PM

Good to see there are others in here that have there senses about them. Well put 74merc.

Nice signiture too, and all too true: George Bush

<font color=blue>Elephants are the only animals that can't jump. Just as well!</font color=blue>
May 21, 2001 4:17:40 PM

Well tbirdinside " not duroninside" is a nice guy. I'm a nice intel user cuz ill recommend AMD in some cases where AMD shines in. currently in program requiring a powerful FPU and notebooks.

My signiture is better...

Nice Intel users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
May 21, 2001 4:32:30 PM

There's no doubting the respectibility of many of the people in this forum. It's just the the short-sightedness of many of the people that annoys me.

If they haven't got anything worthwhile to say then don't bother.
A couple of George W Bush Jn quotes for your amusement.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
....George W. Bush, Jr.

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother
and child."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr.

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and
that one word is 'to be prepared'."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 12/6/93

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good
judgments in the future."

"The future will be better tomorrow."

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment.  It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it."

"Welcome to Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit...Mars is somewhat the same
distance from the Sun, which is very important.  We have seen pictures
where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that
means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 8/11/94

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history.. I
mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. 
I  didn't live in this century."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/15/95

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and
democracy - but that could change."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 5/22/98

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 11/30/96

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."

"[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system." > >

World leader??????????

May 21, 2001 4:37:34 PM

I think one of those quotes is his, but that same list has been around since about 1990 and has claimed it to be Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson and Newt Gingrich that I've seen.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
May 21, 2001 4:44:07 PM

Probably, but they're still funny regardless.

Did you hear his speech on energy in the future. What a twat.

I should stop this slew of pointless replies now and let this get the answer that were origonally requested. Sorry!

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 4:47:01 PM

That is funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Especially liked that one about pollution. Anybody figure out why the VP is always on talk shows pushing his errr, I mean Jr.'s agenda?

As for cpu recommendations- what ever is the best value for the dollar- In most cases that is AMD right now, unless you want a duelly and then its p3s all the way. Hopefully, the 760mp will be as affordable as a duel p3 setup(damn those are cheap-not the processors in relation to AMD but the MOBOs).
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 5:27:44 PM

I'm an AMD fan myself, but frankly, if you'r friends are not so computer savy and don't want to deal with stability issues get the P4. Even though Intel is planning to change the socket at the end of this year, the P4 is still a greater long-term investment because none of the current programs(except for maybe 1 or 2) have the architecture that takes advantage of the P4's speed. The AMD systems today have more issues with them then they really should.

Also, either road you take, if you're gonna build it from scratch at least purchase a pretested CPU, ram & motherboard combination if you're getting it online. If you plan to get it local then you can get them seperate so if you have problems you can easily replace or return it.

"you're killing yourself to stay alive"
May 21, 2001 5:42:21 PM

The issues you speak of are really only relating to VIA chipsets, and even those issues aren't completely the fault of VIA. In most cases, it is poor implementation that is the culprit. I don't think that the AMD Athlon line has ever suffered a glitch or bug to speak of. Any stability issues that come up are from chipset issues. And right now, if you are completely against VIA, ALi and SiS have, or will have, chipsets out soon, and the SiS chipset is supposed to be faster than AMD's own 761. But you are right, if you are either not technically savvy or have the time/energy to deal with issues, Intel is probably the way to go. But I disagree with the P4 statement. I think that the current P4 will never be able to take full advantage of the SSE2 instruction set, due to the castration that happened to the die to make the P4 work in a .18 enviroment. Wait until the .13 P4 is out (aka Northwood). I personally would suggest a P3 to people who don't want trouble... but even Intel has made mistakes, and so have Intel's third-party chipset makers. Any way you go, you'll end up with one hell of a system.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.
May 21, 2001 5:48:46 PM

i work part time in a large national computer store, ocasionally i will recomend they build one themselves(components to suit need and budget) sometimes i'll recomend them the stores "loss leader" if (as it often is)good value or if i need the commision, the most expensive piece of junk i can talk them into even P4's.

Another week, same "signature of the week"
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2001 5:56:50 PM

Yes, I know that when it comes to problems it's mainly the motherboard manufacturers at fault. I didn't stake the blame on anything in particular because I stated an "AMD SYSTEM has more problem..." When the manufacturers are building these motherboards that are for AMD and have problems it's also a problem for AMD and consumers out there that are building AMD computer systems in general.

"you're killing yourself to stay alive"
May 21, 2001 6:46:54 PM

Quote:

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
....George W. Bush, Jr.

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother
and child."

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it."

I saw him make all these comments on a TV program showing 100 worst famous quotes. He was in there quite a few times. Way more than anyone else. He really needs a good speech writer, and needs to stick with the script. He is one of the stupidest person I've seen stand in front of an audience.

Heres one you missed:

<b>"More and more of our imports are starting to come from foreign countries."</b>

May 21, 2001 7:13:25 PM

AMD currently. May change however.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
May 21, 2001 7:29:49 PM

it depends on who will be using the computer. i have a friend that has a celly 500 and is looking to upgrade, suggested to him since he doesn't have a lot of money but still wants performance to get a duron 800+. for my girlfriends roomate who knows nothing about computers i recommended an intel OEM, like a Dell since i can get her one cheap.

like a few others ahve said it depends on what the user wants, needs and the size of thier budget.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.
May 21, 2001 7:53:59 PM

as with others depends on which friends... ones that are idiots or just want to burn money then intel, if my friends want a good computer that wont burn a hole in their pocket then id advise athlons, especially the durons for lower end systems...

you do not strengthen teh weak by weakening the strong
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 3:44:25 AM

I usually recommend the fastest computer I have in stock-since I'm a rebuilder, that usually tops out around 850MHz after upgrades. And since I actually SUPPORT the machines I sell, I only put AMD processors on INTEL chipsets, which means that the fastest AMD's I sell are K6-2 500's. NO faith in the VIA or SiS chipsets, I use the 6x trick on TX motherboards and set them at their highest available bus speeds (whethter 66, 75, or 83 MHz). If they want faster, they get PIII's. Sorry , there is no such thing as a good chipset for the Athlon (yet!), I can't afford to sell anything that will cost me more than I earned from it in SUPPORT TIME! When the ALi chipset becomes cheap enough for standard (read; inexpensive) upgrades, MAYBE I'll start using that one, as it should be a very solid solution by then (VIA will ALWAYS be questionable!).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
May 22, 2001 5:10:15 AM

Quote:
He is one of the stupidest person I've seen stand in front of an audience.

when you're calling someone stupid, make sure your grammar is correct... :D 

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
May 22, 2001 7:09:39 AM

For me INTEL for low-end user and super high-end user.

Under 800$ a old P3 who really work and the good old win 98.Is reliable and work, you can have one for not much.
800$ to 2500$ thunderbird with a good geforce card.
over 2500$ THE BEAST P4 who really kill everyone in his way and he just like a kid he grow up fast really fast.
May 22, 2001 9:44:47 AM

me doing bad grammar? thats unpossible! :wink:

Hey man! I cant keep all this c++ grammar and english grammar in my head simultaneously.

OK,

<font color=green>From what I have witnessed in the duration of my life, he appears to be one of the stupidest people to address an audience.</font color=green>

Hows that?

Besides, I fail to see the relavance between stupidity and the proper/improper usage of grammar in an informal post. But, well spotted.

You do have to admit, he is kinda dim! If you left him alone in a city, he'd probably die from starvation. You, have to wonder if he can find his way around the whitehouse, or if he has to wait for one of those white house tours.

May 22, 2001 11:11:00 AM

I don't know enough about him to come to a reasonable conclusion as to whether he's dumb or not. I've heard several quotes of his that were incredibly stupid.
I've heard alot of people do much worse, I'm just glad noone hangs on my every word waiting on me to [-peep-] up. one of the reasons I don't despise him so far is he doesn't sound all polished and bs'ed like most politicians. he may be the same(probably is) but at least he sounds like a normal guy, grammaticle errors and all.
anyway, simple point, if you're gonna call someone stupid, at least sound like you aren't.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
May 22, 2001 1:10:41 PM

C'mon, quit defending the guy. He only got into yale because of the familiy wealth and their link with the university. Even then his dad probably got someone else to do his work.

Then there are his stupid policies on the environment. The thing is he hasn't got the first clue on how to run a country. This is almost like George Bush snr getting another term in presedency for free, cos his son aint doing anything.

And again, the use of loose grammar in an informal post describes nothing about a person's intelligence or intellect, unlike the comments he regularly makes.

May 22, 2001 2:31:42 PM

While I prefer AMD over Intel for a lot of reasons (some technical, some not), I might recommend an Intel system for someone who doesn't really know anything about computers. But I'd probably still recommend an OEM AMD system instead, since they'll get more for their money in most cases. I haven't been too impressed with the P4 thus far. We'll see how well it performs with future apps that are optimized for it.

As far as Dubya goes, I don't find him to be particularly intelligent or to have an inquiring mind. He seems to just say what his advisors tell him to or what he thinks most people want to hear, without really taking the time to understand the issues. But he's smart enough to surround himself with smart people, which apparently is good enough to get elected president.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 2:40:39 PM

"More and more of our imports are starting to come from foreign countries."

He didnt say that, did he ? You HAVE to be kidding ? LMAO !

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 3:15:27 PM

thanks ! a great laugh.. and I feel much better about my king now ;-)

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip
!