Dell inspiron 8200 70 watt warning

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 26, 2004 5:57:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi all,

I've read so many things on this, i dont even know where to look
anymore. It's the same problem that many of us had experienced. I
have a inspiron 8200 for reasons that i still dont know, it recognizes
my 90 watt ac adaptor as a 70 watt adaptor. It runs on batter just
fine. However, with the computer thinks that it only gets 70 watt
power supply, the battery wont charge. i've heard that it can be
fixed by replacing the motherboard, but $600 is just not in my budget
right now. I've also read something about replacing the power source.
Here's something else i've found a while ago

"If the laptop works on battery, my guess is that the inline ceramic
DC
fuse is open. This is a small oblong block be 1/4 inch long, 1/8
inch high and wide, surface mounted very near the AC adapter jack.
This
can be bypassed with a suitable Picofuse, be 8 amps, soldered across
the conductive ends of the existing fuse case. I would only look into
this if the warranty is expired. It is an easy fix, be $2 for the
replacement fuse, be $10 for silver epoxy if it risky to solder in
the area. I've done this on three laptops which are still functioning
-
only one with the epoxy. I wish I knew the mechanism for the DC
overload, one of the laptops had a water spill, the other two are
mysteries to me."

1. I would attempt this if there was some sort of more "cookbook"
instruction.
2. If someone can point out where i actually came across this
posting, that would be helpful.
3. Or if any of you had good experience with any reliable shop that
could fix this for cheap, please let me know.

Thanks
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:44:09 PM

"e" <liang.ihsun@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've read so many things on this, i dont even know where to look
> anymore. It's the same problem that many of us had experienced. I
> have a inspiron 8200 for reasons that i still dont know, it recognizes
> my 90 watt ac adaptor as a 70 watt adaptor. It runs on batter just
> fine. However, with the computer thinks that it only gets 70 watt
> power supply, the battery wont charge. i've heard that it can be
> fixed by replacing the motherboard, but $600 is just not in my budget
> right now. I've also read something about replacing the power source.
> Here's something else i've found a while ago
>
> "If the laptop works on battery, my guess is that the inline ceramic
> DC
> fuse is open. This is a small oblong block be 1/4 inch long, 1/8
> inch high and wide, surface mounted very near the AC adapter jack.
> This
> can be bypassed with a suitable Picofuse, be 8 amps, soldered across
> the conductive ends of the existing fuse case. I would only look into
> this if the warranty is expired. It is an easy fix, be $2 for the
> replacement fuse, be $10 for silver epoxy if it risky to solder in
> the area. I've done this on three laptops which are still functioning
> -
> only one with the epoxy. I wish I knew the mechanism for the DC
> overload, one of the laptops had a water spill, the other two are
> mysteries to me."
>
> 1. I would attempt this if there was some sort of more "cookbook"
> instruction.
> 2. If someone can point out where i actually came across this
> posting, that would be helpful.
> 3. Or if any of you had good experience with any reliable shop that
> could fix this for cheap, please let me know.
>
> Thanks

That was my posting from several months ago. It was in response, AIRC,
to a loptop that would run on battery but not on AC power. An opened
fuse can be the source of that problem. I am not familiar with the 70
vs 90 watt adapter problem you mention, except that it is alleged that
the problem was fixed with a BIOS update in the 8200.