Sign in with
Your question

xeon for gaming

Last response: in CPUs
May 21, 2001 3:15:37 PM

ive just read a review of the new xeon, with the chips having much more l2 cache (2mb rather than 256kb) they should have a much higher memry bandwidth, making similar improvements in games as having faster ram...

if im not mistaken this could make a significant change in games which are not totally reliant on graphics cards...

i was wondering this for a long time with the older xeon 3s but with the new chips performing better than the athlons in a fair number of tests its become more of an issue...

you do not strengthen teh weak by weakening the strong

More about : xeon gaming

May 21, 2001 3:41:12 PM

what review did you read?
P4 Xeon only has 256K L2, same as the P4. only upgrade here is dual processor, which anandtech.com showed only to be marginally faster than a single Tbird 1.2 in web database servers.
wtf?
I was thinking about dual Xeon 4 for our server until I got that far...

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2001 4:48:23 PM

Actually there are XEON processor with 2mb cache for the high end servers

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..
Related resources
May 21, 2001 5:01:45 PM

didn't see a thing about large L2 Xeon P4s @ 1.7ghz.
the old Xeon has huge amounts of L2, the new one doesn't yet.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 21, 2001 5:10:00 PM

Thats true

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..
May 21, 2001 5:17:44 PM

Imagine the die size of the P4 Xeon with 2MB cache. Yikes! If you want the ultimate gaming machine it'll be announced on June 4th, in the form dual Athlon 4's. I doubt the Xeons can evenly remotely compete with dual Paly's.
May 21, 2001 5:47:41 PM

You guys are a joke, xeon for games? VETO!

Dual pally LMAO, AMD has ZERO track record with SMP. let alone spend 1k for mobo for games. GG on that prediction miss cleo

You guys argue over the cache size =P.
May 21, 2001 7:05:57 PM

Quote:

if im not mistaken this could make a significant change in games which are not totally reliant on graphics cards...

The only games that aren't totally reliant (or at least half way ) on graphics cards is solitaire

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
May 21, 2001 7:09:01 PM

800mhz and over celeron, P3, P4, Athlon(k7 and tbird), Duron will run any game just fine with a Radeon or Geforce2 gts.

Nice Intel users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
May 21, 2001 7:43:05 PM

hey come on, i was just asking a question, dual athlons would be amazing, with that i agree...

i was jus wondering if more l2 cache would make a significant change to gaming performance...

you do not strengthen teh weak by weakening the strong
May 21, 2001 8:11:21 PM

FUGGER you are the biggest a$$hole I have ever seen, swear to God.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
May 22, 2001 2:12:21 AM

Thunderbird beat a Dual xeon pu

HAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!
or even a twin pal

I dont know wich bencmark you check but a dual xeon beat every benchmark maybe he have loose on Word 2000 or excel.

It's stupid to compare a multitread cpu to a desktop cpu
May 22, 2001 5:18:34 AM

yes, a $3000 P4 Xeon 1.7ghz dual processor machine beat a single $1300 1.2Ghz Tbird by 4 minutes. They made a bench that took 30 minutes to run on like an 866 dual processor server and ran it on each platform.
the dual P4 ran @ 18 minutes, the dual PIII Xeon 933 ran it at 22 minutes, the single P4 Xeon 1.7 ran it at 22 minutes(if I remember correctly) the single Tbird 1.2 ran it at 18 minutes.
for anyone on a budget, the choice isn't that hard.
I was considering a dual P4 Xeon with RDRAM for our server at work, simply because of the bandwidth it offers, should make our network run smoother.
well, apparently not much more than the AMD 1.2, although I'll probably go with dual 933s or something first.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
May 22, 2001 6:41:53 AM

6T SRAM cells take up a lot of area. So neither Intel nor AMD can put in much more L1/L2 cache at this point. Wait till the 0.13 micron technology ramps up. Then, it will be possible to get >1 MB L2 cache. Before that, the P4 Xeon is basically same as P4.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**
May 22, 2001 6:59:17 AM

1 XEON dont have the same L2 cache that P4.It have a 256 bitwide and NORTHWOOD will have 512 KB of L2 (and probably 256 bitwide) and xeon is not for gaming or office use.IT's a server or heavy multi-task.XEON cpu are use in Medicine R&D and others that really need a CPU.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 22, 2001 8:57:41 AM

Can you pleaes expalain what "bitwide" means? On my limited knowledge, I'd guess that it's meaning would be similar to that of "bandwidth".
May 22, 2001 8:59:51 AM

256 bit wide data pathway.
it is capable of sending 256 bits of information per clock cycle, if I remember correctly.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
May 22, 2001 7:01:05 PM

then you should get yourself a bigger mirror! lol! :smile:

just kidding dude!

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"
May 22, 2001 7:22:23 PM

normally this incessant flaming gets on my nerves...
but AMDmeltdown, that was pretty good... rotfl
no offense Griz... but you gotta admit, that was a good burn...

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
May 22, 2001 7:36:47 PM

i think someone have already answer what is bit wide.

Ok not sure of this part but anyway

Does actual software use 32bit and not 64 bit.XEON = 4x64 right.Still XEON is not for gaming in server mode they use novell or unix
!