another samurai

Kuresu's son, Kuresu, has made it to the Valley of the Dead.

His current outfit is +4 Excalibur, a rustproof katana, +3 rustproof
gauntlets of power, +3 fireproof hawaiian shirt, +4 black dragon scale
mail, +3 rustproof orcish helm, +3 fireproof cloak of magic resistance, +2
speed boots and an amulet of reflection.

On one finger is a ring of slow digestion and upon the other is a +4 ring
of protection. Total AC is -25.

The worst thing to happen to Kuresu was putting a wand of cancellation into
his bag of holding which had his markers, boots of levitation, stuff from a
huge polypile, a pickaxe and gold.

Right now he's xl15 with 151 hitpoints. Any recommendations? Avoid Gehennom
and beef up some more? All of h and minotaurs are genocided too. Kuresu is
also disintegration, shock, cold, fire, poison and sleep resistant.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Kuresu's son, Kuresu, has made it to the Valley of the Dead.
>
> His current outfit is +4 Excalibur, a rustproof katana, +3 rustproof
> gauntlets of power, +3 fireproof hawaiian shirt, +4 black dragon
scale
> mail, +3 rustproof orcish helm, +3 fireproof cloak of magic
resistance, +2
> speed boots and an amulet of reflection.

Looks pretty complete. I see you are wearing Black DSM. Have you
aquired the disintegration resistance from the dragon corpses? If so,
you might think about swapping it out for silver DSM and open up the
amulet slot for something else (like life saving or magical breathing).
There are minor convenience items I'd like to have that's not listed
here, but you have all the important ones it seems.

> On one finger is a ring of slow digestion and upon the other is a +4
ring
> of protection. Total AC is -25.

BTW, I like + ring of more damage with two-wielders. AC in the -20's I
consider "good enough if careful, but not invincible".

> The worst thing to happen to Kuresu was putting a wand of
cancellation into
> his bag of holding which had his markers, boots of levitation, stuff
from a
> huge polypile, a pickaxe and gold.

Losing markers are bad. Oh well, live and learn.

> Right now he's xl15 with 151 hitpoints. Any recommendations? Avoid
Gehennom
> and beef up some more? All of h and minotaurs are genocided too.
Kuresu is
> also disintegration, shock, cold, fire, poison and sleep resistant.

Are you done with the quest? If you are done with that, I think you
can just go down and keep kicking some butts.

-K

Kremti wrote:

> Looks pretty complete. I see you are wearing Black DSM. Have you
> aquired the disintegration resistance from the dragon corpses? If so,
> you might think about swapping it out for silver DSM and open up the
> amulet slot for something else (like life saving or magical breathing).

It is interesting that ESP is seldom mentioned as choice for an amulet;
it warns you *before* you are in need of life saving. Magical breathing,
OTOH, mainly keeps you from the effects of unnecessary stupid behaviour
(the interesting thing with AoMB is that you can get all the resistances
and strength from a crowd of dragons and giants more efficiently; but
you just need to put it on on demand, then).

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Kremti wrote:
>

>> Looks pretty complete. I see you are wearing Black DSM. Have you
>> aquired the disintegration resistance from the dragon corpses? If so,
>> you might think about swapping it out for silver DSM and open up the
>> amulet slot for something else (like life saving or magical breathing).
>

> It is interesting that ESP is seldom mentioned as choice for an amulet;
> it warns you *before* you are in need of life saving. Magical breathing,
> OTOH, mainly keeps you from the effects of unnecessary stupid behaviour
> (the interesting thing with AoMB is that you can get all the resistances
> and strength from a crowd of dragons and giants more efficiently; but
> you just need to put it on on demand, then).

That's true, the amulet is a good alternative to a tinning kit then...

Well, I usually put on an AoMB on the Plane of Water and *only* there.
I don't genocide eels, because in principle the stay on water can be
long and you can't eat water elementals. The main reason I am using an
AoMB on that Plane is however that I have difficulties imagining how the
Plane is supposed to work. You arrive in a bubble of air which seems to
suggest that the Plane is entirely filled with water except for these
bubbles. Now that means you should drown when you leave the bubble even
when levitating, because the water would be around you nonetheless. On
the other hand, it appears that quite a number of players don't care to
put on an AoMB and still survive. I presume this is since they are
levitating *over* the water, should they temporarily leave their bubble
(which can happen accidentally). But then the concept of a bubble does
not make much sense, there would be air above the water anyway. So I
don't really understand the supposed "physics" behind that plane. I
should probably try out in wizard mode once. But till then, I'll keep
putting on the AoMB, just in case.

Klaus Kassner wrote:

> Well, I usually put on an AoMB on the Plane of Water and *only* there. I
> don't genocide eels, because in principle the stay on water can be long
> and you can't eat water elementals.

I never had problems with food on The Planes; not only because I carry far
too much of it with me - I am paranoid -, but mainly because I don't spend
much time there (even on the Plane of Water) after I've magic-detected the
portals. And occasionally even some water creature corpse is accessible
within the bubble.

> The main reason I am using an AoMB on that Plane is however that I have
> difficulties imagining how the Plane is supposed to work. You arrive in a
> bubble of air which seems to suggest that the Plane is entirely filled with
> water except for these bubbles.

Yes, that's how I think of it.

> Now that means you should drown when you leave the bubble even when
> levitating, because the water would be around you nonetheless.

Yes, indeed.

> On the other hand, it appears that quite a number of players don't care to
> put on an AoMB and still survive.

Well, I do, too; just travel within the bubbles, and not make a false step.

> I presume this is since they are levitating *over* the water, should they
> temporarily leave their bubble (which can happen accidentally). But then
> the concept of a bubble does not make much sense, there would be air above
> the water anyway. So I don't really understand the supposed "physics"
> behind that plane.

I don't know. I've heard from people that water walking(?) or levitation(?)
makes it save to leave the bubble. (I may likely as well be misremembering!)
Though - even if that's possible - I don't like that concept, so I don't do
that. And personally I wouldn't try the amulet of magical breathing either,
because I'd fear for the integrity of the contents of my bag.

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Klaus Kassner wrote:

>> I presume this is since they are levitating *over* the water, should they
>> temporarily leave their bubble (which can happen accidentally). But then
>> the concept of a bubble does not make much sense, there would be air
>> above
>> the water anyway. So I don't really understand the supposed "physics"
>> behind that plane.

> I don't know. I've heard from people that water walking(?) or levitation(?)
> makes it save to leave the bubble. (I may likely as well be
> misremembering!)
> Though - even if that's possible - I don't like that concept, so I don't do
> that. And personally I wouldn't try the amulet of magical breathing either,
> because I'd fear for the integrity of the contents of my bag.

Ah, good point. But nothing happens to the contents of your bag. I
have often left the bubble with an amulet of magical breathing but still
levitating. In fact, I think nothing in your inventory gets rusty
either. This seems to suggest that you are still *above* the water when
levitating and leaving your bubble. Or else the amulet would protect
your bag, which I don't believe.