Excalibur question

Do Excalibur's effects still work if it is in the alternate hand, or
does it need to be wielded as a primary weapon?

Thanks!
Kiroh

kiroh wrote:

> Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
>> Kiroh wrote:
>>
>>> Do Excalibur's effects still work if it is in the alternate hand, or
>>> does it need to be wielded as a primary weapon?
>> You have to wield it; that means as a primary weapon, because you can't
>> wield an artifact as a secondary weapon. (Or are you playing a variant?
>> If so, please say so)
>> Raisse, killed by touching Grayswandir
>
> Thanks!
>
> I was hoping to avoid level-drain with my monk, seeing as he's lawful
> and there's this longsword just going to waste. Guess I'll have to find
> another way around it...

I've found that with a magic cancellation of 3, such as your robe or cloak
of MR provide, level drain is uncommon enough not to worry about.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

Kiroh wrote:

> Do Excalibur's effects still work if it is in the alternate hand, or
> does it need to be wielded as a primary weapon?

You have to wield it; that means as a primary weapon, because you can't
wield an artifact as a secondary weapon. (Or are you playing a variant?
If so, please say so)

Raisse, killed by touching Grayswandir

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> Kiroh wrote:
>

>>Do Excalibur's effects still work if it is in the alternate hand, or
>>does it need to be wielded as a primary weapon?
>

> You have to wield it; that means as a primary weapon, because you can't
> wield an artifact as a secondary weapon. (Or are you playing a variant?
> If so, please say so)
>
> Raisse, killed by touching Grayswandir

Thanks!

I was hoping to avoid level-drain with my monk, seeing as he's lawful
and there's this longsword just going to waste. Guess I'll have to find
another way around it...

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
<snip>
> I've found that with a magic cancellation of 3, such as your robe or
cloak
> of MR provide, level drain is uncommon enough not to worry about.

Well, I suppose OP *could* be playing Slash'em. But yeah, in Vanilla
Nethack, I never find level drain to be much of a problem, even with
Magic Cancellation of 2.

-K

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Kremti wrote:
> Well, I suppose OP *could* be playing Slash'em. But yeah, in Vanilla
> Nethack, I never find level drain to be much of a problem, even with
> Magic Cancellation of 2.

My opinion is the same. I cleared the Valley of the Dead with MC:2,
and only lost one level. Usually, if you are level-drained, you gain
that level again by just killing that annoying monster that drained
you. Level drain is only a problem when you get drained *again* before
you manage to kill that monster.

Plus, you almost always get enough wraith corpses to get your levels
back.

Manuel wrote:

> My opinion is the same. I cleared the Valley of the Dead [...]
>
> Plus, you almost always get enough wraith corpses to get your levels
> back.

For specific values of "almost always enough"; for me that's almost
always zero■. :-(

So don't count on getting the levels back by wraiths. (A waste, BTW,
to *restore* levels since you'd otherwise even increase your level.)

■ I don't lure them to other levels.

Janis