Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mac Book Pro 13 inch

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 28, 2011 1:52:21 AM

Hello I am a new member here.Name is Gerald.I have one question to ask you.I recently bought a new MBP 13 inch 3 weeks ago with the Core 2 Duo and 2.4 gig.Now the new MBP comes out last week.If you were me would you sell what I just bought and buy the new MBP with the i5 processor or keep what I own now? I am a average computer user not a gamer just retired. thanks GF

More about : mac book pro inch

a c 244 D Laptop
February 28, 2011 5:21:33 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Although the new MBP 13 is much faster than the previous one, for basic tasks, your current laptop suffices.
What's your usage ?
m
0
l
March 1, 2011 1:34:13 AM

Hi I am retired and an average computer user.I am on the MBP for about 4 hours in the am and 4 hours at night. Watching news, political shows, some creative writing,uploading photos,downloading music, hearing music on the internet and some email.That is it.Thanks GF
m
0
l
Related resources
March 1, 2011 1:58:46 AM

dear friend i have used mac since 10 years ago altho im 17th i still use thoose i got a mac mini since 6 years ago and the only thing i have updated is the memory and the OS that MBP will serve for 7 or more years since the things u do are pretty basic u dont need anything more than a dual-core prossesor altho if u want more quickness on application just go to a mac store and tell them u want more memory
m
0
l
a c 244 D Laptop
March 1, 2011 5:18:41 AM

musical marv said:
Hi I am retired and an average computer user.I am on the MBP for about 4 hours in the am and 4 hours at night. Watching news, political shows, some creative writing,uploading photos,downloading music, hearing music on the internet and some email.That is it.Thanks GF

For your tasks,there is absolutely no need to upgrade to MBP 2011.So stick with what you have
m
0
l
March 2, 2011 1:35:31 AM

mgb94 said:
dear friend i have used mac since 10 years ago altho im 17th i still use thoose i got a mac mini since 6 years ago and the only thing i have updated is the memory and the OS that MBP will serve for 7 or more years since the things u do are pretty basic u dont need anything more than a dual-core prossesor altho if u want more quickness on application just go to a mac store and tell them u want more memory
You are telling me if I sell this mbp 13 inch and buy the newest one I am wasting my money.I thought the core 2 duo was slower than the i5 procesor? Would 4 more gigs of ram really help me? What about Thunderbolt? thanks GF
m
0
l
March 2, 2011 1:45:17 AM

musical marv said:
You are telling me if I sell this mbp 13 inch and buy the newest one I am wasting my money.I thought the core 2 duo was slower than the i5 procesor? Would 4 more gigs of ram really help me? What about Thunderbolt? thanks GF



well the core 2 duo is slower then the i5 but u dont need that more power its overkill since u dont game or video editting or run multiple higih demmanding applications if u feeling ur MBP a little slower like in 2 years or 1 u can upgrade to 3 gigs or 4 but yea i hae right now a laptop that i use for working and lesser gaming that has a single core procesor and only 1 gig of ram i can run internet chat and watch vids perfectly well im going to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram but not buying a new laptop since i dont need
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
March 2, 2011 2:25:51 AM

mgb94 said:
dear friend i have used mac since 10 years ago altho im 17th i still use thoose i got a mac mini since 6 years ago and the only thing i have updated is the memory and the OS that MBP will serve for 7 or more years since the things u do are pretty basic u dont need anything more than a dual-core prossesor altho if u want more quickness on application just go to a mac store and tell them u want more memory

mgb94 said:
well the core 2 duo is slower then the i5 but u dont need that more power its overkill since u dont game or video editting or run multiple higih demmanding applications if u feeling ur MBP a little slower like in 2 years or 1 u can upgrade to 3 gigs or 4 but yea i hae right now a laptop that i use for working and lesser gaming that has a single core procesor and only 1 gig of ram i can run internet chat and watch vids perfectly well im going to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram but not buying a new laptop since i dont need



Marv: Basically what they are both saying is that the current MBP you have should be plenty for your fairly basic needs. Thunderbolt is kinda irrelevant since next to no peripherals uses the interface yet. You will only need it if you need a high speed connection from the laptop to say an external hard drive.
m
0
l
March 3, 2011 1:22:13 AM

You mean i am wasting my money to get this new MBP 13 inch and not sell mine. The i5 is much more faster than this core 2 duo you have to admit right? thunderbolt is another joke you are saying now.I am confused really.Thanks :o 
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
March 3, 2011 1:39:23 AM

musical marv said:
You mean i am wasting my money to get this new MBP 13 inch and not sell mine. The i5 is much more faster than this core 2 duo you have to admit right? thunderbolt is another joke you are saying now.I am confused really.Thanks :o 


1) The i5 is faster
2) Your needs don't really require the speed
3) Thunderbolt only matters when there are a) peripherals that use it b) You personally have a need for it. It is a brand new technology that no one other than Apple has adopted yet. I wouldn't call it a joke, though.

How much did you pay for your MAcBook? How much is the new one that you want (with the bells and whistles you want)?
m
0
l
March 7, 2011 1:13:29 AM

I paid about $1100 dollars for it and the new one is $1200 dollars.You mean the i5 i might buy I would be wasting my time with this lousy connection I have here? thanks
m
0
l
a c 244 D Laptop
March 7, 2011 5:14:26 AM

For what you do,even your current MBP is more than enough and there's absolutely no reasons to upgrade it.Save your money for something else.
m
0
l
March 8, 2011 12:53:54 AM

Thanks for your honesty sir.I guess when you get old you get more foolish in life.maybe I should have purchased the new MBA 13 inch instead of the MBP 2010 model?
m
0
l
a c 244 D Laptop
March 8, 2011 7:30:02 AM

MBP has a faster CPU,DVD drive,backlit keyboard whereas MBA has a better screen and SSD.
You can always add SSD to your current MBP.
m
0
l
March 10, 2011 1:11:33 AM

mgb94 said:
well the core 2 duo is slower then the i5 but u dont need that more power its overkill since u dont game or video editting or run multiple higih demmanding applications if u feeling ur MBP a little slower like in 2 years or 1 u can upgrade to 3 gigs or 4 but yea i hae right now a laptop that i use for working and lesser gaming that has a single core procesor and only 1 gig of ram i can run internet chat and watch vids perfectly well im going to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram but not buying a new laptop since i dont need
You are a conservative person I see that you do not buy the latest and greatest concept that Mac comes out with every 6 months or more.thanks
m
0
l
March 10, 2011 1:13:51 AM

Maziar said:
MBP has a faster CPU,DVD drive,backlit keyboard whereas MBA has a better screen and SSD.
You can always add SSD to your current MBP.
How much would a 128 SSD cost me? What are the most decent brands to buy?Why did not Apple come out with SSD in their new MBP I wonder? thanks mf
m
0
l
a c 244 D Laptop
March 10, 2011 1:33:16 PM

They didn't put SSD in the new MBP's because of their cost.
I've heard good things about OWC SSDs
m
0
l
!