stuck on level 41

I've made it all the way down to DL41 and I can't find the stairs to level
42. I've tried using one of my wands of digging to burn through the floor
but I can only make pits since the ground is too hard.

Here's what's standing in my way. I don't have a pickaxe because of my bag
of holding accident. I don't have a way to navigate the moat or the holes
at the Castle because my boots of levitation were lost as well. If I could
get up from the Castle to Medusa then I could easily scavenge the various
piles of dwarven booty in the Gnomish Mines then proceed through Gehennom.
Orcus town didn't have anything that I needed to proceed with the game.

The only thing of note is the fact that I'm hearing the sounds for
beehives, David's treasure zoo and graveyards on the levels between 39 and
41.

Advice please.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
> > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> >
> > > I've made it all the way down to DL41 and I can't find the stairs
to level
> > > 42. I've tried using one of my wands of digging to burn through
the floor
> > > but I can only make pits since the ground is too hard.
>
> > > The only thing of note is the fact that I'm hearing the sounds
for
> > > beehives, David's treasure zoo and graveyards on the levels
between 39 and
> > > 41.
> >
> > How heavily spoiled do you want to be ?
> >
> > Level 1:
> > There is a level in Gehennom with *no* stairs down. You're near the
end
> > (of Gehennom at least).
>
> This won't be it, though; a) not deep enough, and b) that won't
> coincide with the sounds he's hearing. The stairs will be somewhere
> around, possibly under a boulder; simpler might be to
> controlled-levelport to DL42 and find the upstair from there.

Ya, and if he doesn't have the controlled level teleport option, he
should start picking up all the junks on the floor, move the boulders
(if in a corner, use the wand of digging to remove the wall behind),
etcs. The beehive sound makes this level definitely *not* the bottom.

-K

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> I've made it all the way down to DL41 and I can't find the stairs to level
> 42. I've tried using one of my wands of digging to burn through the floor
> but I can only make pits since the ground is too hard.
>
> Here's what's standing in my way. I don't have a pickaxe because of my bag
> of holding accident. I don't have a way to navigate the moat or the holes
> at the Castle because my boots of levitation were lost as well. If I could
> get up from the Castle to Medusa then I could easily scavenge the various
> piles of dwarven booty in the Gnomish Mines then proceed through Gehennom.
> Orcus town didn't have anything that I needed to proceed with the game.
>
> The only thing of note is the fact that I'm hearing the sounds for
> beehives, David's treasure zoo and graveyards on the levels between 39 and
> 41.

How heavily spoiled do you want to be ?

Level 1:
There is a level in Gehennom with *no* stairs down. You're near the end
(of Gehennom at least).

And you can't dig down through this level but there is a way to create a
stair down and reach the deepest level of the game (yes, really, the
deepest).

Level 2:
To open the stairs, you need to perform a specific ritual, involving three
major artefacts in the game, at a specific place in the level.

Level 3:
The specific place is called "vibrating square". It's a non-wall square of
the last level and you'll get a special message (can't remember which)
when walking on it (drop something to remember its position). There is no
other way to find it than test (almost) every square.

The three artefacts are those you got from your quest nemesis, Vlad and
the Wizard.

The ritual consist of making some light (you still have 7 candles at hand,
don't you ?), ring to wake up the audience and then read your part (with
my luck, I'm probably wrong in the order, well just go with a few tries if
needed).

Keep going, you're close to the ascencion run (and next to the ascencion,
hopefully) !

Level 4:
Once you'll clean the last level (Moloch's sanctum), you'll have to go all
the way up (and more) to bring the amulet to your god. Once you've killed
the Wizard, he'll show up from time to time and be a real pain.
So, if you still haven't killed Rodney, you may wish to shorten the run.
In order to do so, dig straight paths from stairs to stairs in every
single level of the dungeon before going up.

Level 5:
In the endgame part (5 special levels outside of the dungeon), you'll need
a safe and quick way to find magic portal (traps). Be sure to carry either
a crystal ball with enough charges or cursed gold detection scrolls or
gold detection and a quick way to get confused/unconfused.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

> The ritual consist of making some light (you still have 7 candles at hand,
> don't you ?), ring to wake up the audience and then read your part (with
> my luck, I'm probably wrong in the order, well just go with a few tries if
> needed).

I think the order is correct. Ascended my first tourist about 12 hours
ago, so I should remember ;-)

-Heikki
Four classes done... (SBPT)

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
<snip>
> Here's what's standing in my way. I don't have a pickaxe because of
my bag
> of holding accident. I don't have a way to navigate the moat or the
holes
> at the Castle because my boots of levitation were lost as well. If I
could
> get up from the Castle to Medusa then I could easily scavenge the
various
> piles of dwarven booty in the Gnomish Mines then proceed through
Gehennom.
> Orcus town didn't have anything that I needed to proceed with the
game.
<snip>

Another suggestion on this point. If you can control-teleport level,
you can get back to upper levels to retrieve some other stuff (If you
so choose...maybe you have some stuff in the stash or something).

Also, to get past Castle/Medusa, you could use jumping. Knights
jumping skill won't work, but jumping spells/boots *probably* works. I
know highly skilled jump spells work great, but I'm not 100% sure if
lower skill jump spell/boots let you get past the Medusa's level,
depends on which version of medusa's.

There are also magical breathing and water walking. I assume you don't
have them available but I figure I mention that just in case you've
forgotten.

You could also consider wand/horn/cone of cold to freeze the water
squares. You'll probably need fair numbers of charges on the wand/horn
to make it work.

Got a saddle + Dragon/Jabberwok/ki-rin pet? Ride'em.

Controlled Polymorph Self? Lots of possibility there.

Cursed potions of gain level? You might need 2. One for the castle
and one for medusa.

Am just brainstorming here. But it might help you to come up with
something ingenious :D

-K

In article <1113485269.647074.280100@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,

>>> There is a level in Gehennom with *no* stairs down. You're near the end

>> This won't be it, though; a) not deep enough, and b) that won't
>> coincide with the sounds he's hearing. The stairs will be somewhere
>> around, possibly under a boulder; simpler might be to
>> controlled-levelport to DL42 and find the upstair from there.

I tested this in wizmode. I didn't realize that those levels were not
diggable.

>Ya, and if he doesn't have the controlled level teleport option, he
>should start picking up all the junks on the floor, move the boulders
>(if in a corner, use the wand of digging to remove the wall behind),

Or if really in a crunch, you can get naked and squeeze behind boulder to
search for the downstairs.

BAJ

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>
> > I've made it all the way down to DL41 and I can't find the stairs to level
> > 42. I've tried using one of my wands of digging to burn through the floor
> > but I can only make pits since the ground is too hard.

> > The only thing of note is the fact that I'm hearing the sounds for
> > beehives, David's treasure zoo and graveyards on the levels between 39 and
> > 41.
>
> How heavily spoiled do you want to be ?
>
> Level 1:
> There is a level in Gehennom with *no* stairs down. You're near the end
> (of Gehennom at least).

This won't be it, though; a) not deep enough, and b) that won't
coincide with the sounds he's hearing. The stairs will be somewhere
around, possibly under a boulder; simpler might be to
controlled-levelport to DL42 and find the upstair from there.

: "Peek-a-boo, I can't see you, everything must be grand; :
: Boo-ka-pee, you can't see me, as long as I've got me head in t'sand..." :
: -- Michael Flanders, "The Ostrich" :

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Byron A Jeff wrote:

> In article <1113485269.647074.280100@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,

> >> This won't be it, though; a) not deep enough, and b) that won't
> >> coincide with the sounds he's hearing. The stairs will be somewhere
> >> around, possibly under a boulder; simpler might be to
> >> controlled-levelport to DL42 and find the upstair from there.
>

> I tested this in wizmode. I didn't realize that those levels were not
> diggable.

Me too. Thanks for wiztesting, I won't have to :)
(I finally decide against wiztesting this afternoon in front of my
students...)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> byron@cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff) wrote in
>

>> Or if really in a crunch, you can get naked and squeeze behind boulder
>> to search for the downstairs.
>
> Now that's a YASD waiting to happen after all my work and luck getting
> this far in Nethack.

You could also use a wand of striking to smash the boulders. I usually
have these coming out my ears at this point.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

I froze the moat, walked around to the front and got a dwarvish mattock
from a pile in front of the holes. I end up digging out half a level in
Gehennom enabling me to find the downwards stairway.

I got deeper and deeper, found these little rooms surrounded by moats that
wouldn't burn away or freeze and got caught by a kraken. I didn't know
krakens grab and drag people into the water.

Poor Kuresu, drowned on level 45 by a kraken.