Leaving 1 side of case Open

G

I notice my CPU's temp normall drops about 4-5 C when I leave one side of the case open. I have been doing this consistently now for a week, specifically during hard gaming and processing. Is there anything bad about this? Anything bad for the system?

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nothing bad will happen, but the increased sound from the fans would drive me up a wall. Try adding an exhaust fan on the back of your case, if you don't already have one.

If you are happy with the case open, then don't worry. None of us filter the air that goes into the case, so keeping a cover off will not hurt.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I've been doing that until I get a new AMD approved power supply. It still runs well within specs with the case closed, but I like to be safe. Yuo will have to watch out for noise though. I can't sleep with the rig on anymore.

No man stands so tall, as when he stoops to tweak his rig.

G

I'm not sure. But I would be a bit concerned about two things with an open case: (1) the lack of electro-magnetic isolation, and (2) dust accumulation.

Leo

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
my primary concern in this is where is your computer located?
can you spill a drink or something on it?
mine is under a desk, with a small shelf above it, nearly nothing can fall on it, so I'm not worried about it.
as far as dust, it accumilates no more than usual, if nothing else the dust won't stop up the entrance for the air flow.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If you have pets or children, forget it.

If you have a tendency to spill drinks or drop paper clips, not a good idea.

You'll need to do a very thorough clean every now and again based on dust accumulation. The dust will now be over the inside of the case, open slots, motherboard, HDD, internal fans, etc. Much harder than washing an air filter on a fan.

Dust build up will retain heat and degrade fan performance, so over time your CPU may get warmer. In extreme hair or fluff may get wrapped into the fan and prevent operation or shorten life.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unless you have filters on the intake fans on your case, you will have the same dust buildup with or without the cover. The advantage of having the cover off is that you can see the dust buildup before it has an effect.

Definetely keep the kids, pets, and coffee away from the open case!

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I was doing the same thing because I didn't like the temp my CPU was running at. I finally bought a new case with better airflow and that solved my problem.

alph

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I have no case for my old 100mhz. Instead i put mobo on a static bag with the psu beside it. Works just fine.

<font color=purple> djadja</font color=purple>

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
That's the funniest thing I've ever read. Guess you don't have any pets. Can anyone say B-B-Q'd Rover?

No man stands so tall, as when he stoops to tweak his rig.

G

I have two intake fans, nice good size case (aluminun) 160$ case.......i have back exhaust fan as well.....and I took two server fans and I have them on a side blowing to the CPU and the Graphic card......but still get better temperature with half case off...No one goes in my room, and case is under closed desk..so no risk..i even lean the side of case agsint it, just dont fully close....i guess helps those side fans grab cool air in.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You'd do better to use something other than a static bag. Static bags are designed to keep the inside contents free from static by collecting static charges on the outside. It's best not to lay a motherboard on a static magnet.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

TRENDING THREADS