Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Weak Psionics

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:08:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

I dislike psionics. I've hardly ever played psionics, and I've never
run a game (in any system) that had psi. (In one science fiction game
I ran, the "rule zero" list included "NO PSIONICS. NO MAGIC. NO
EXCEPTIONS." in large friendly letters.)

But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me thinking.
What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with various powers
represented by feats, rather than requiring levels in a psionic class?

The powers would have to be weak enough to be worth only a feat or
feat chain, even though usable "at will" without any "times per day"
or "psi points" limitations. TK-type powers should probably be left
out, (too powerful for this system, not to mention too much like magic
IMO - but then I'm the anti-Sea Wasp WRT this sort of thing.)

That would leave telepathy and various mental powers, and maybe some
weak "bio-psi" powers. (E.g. "Empathic Healing: You may heal 1d4
pointd of damage, by touch, as a full-round action, but you take an
amount of damage equal to the amount healed.")

Being able to read an *unwilling* mind by touch should be the second
or third feat in a chain, or the 3rd-5th feat to read the unwilling
mind at a distance.

And of course there would be a "mind block" feat, with no
prerequisites, that also maybe gave a +1 to Will saves vs
mind-affecting magic.

In general, I'd want the feats to be weak enough that a "mind block -
immune to all psi" feat would not become an "everyone would take
this."

Thoughts? Ideas? Flames?


--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com

More about : weak psionics

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:30:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Erol K. Bayburt wrote:

> I dislike psionics. I've hardly ever played psionics, and I've never
> run a game (in any system) that had psi. (In one science fiction game
> I ran, the "rule zero" list included "NO PSIONICS. NO MAGIC. NO
> EXCEPTIONS." in large friendly letters.)
>
> But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me thinking.
> What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with various powers
> represented by feats, rather than requiring levels in a psionic class?

Star Wars d20 RPG Force rules.

> The powers would have to be weak enough to be worth only a feat or
> feat chain, even though usable "at will" without any "times per day"
> or "psi points" limitations. TK-type powers should probably be left
> out, (too powerful for this system, not to mention too much like magic
> IMO - but then I'm the anti-Sea Wasp WRT this sort of thing.)

Leave out the Force feats and skills you find "overpowered".
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 6:20:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

> But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me thinking.
> What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with various powers
> represented by feats, rather than requiring levels in a psionic class?

What would be the point? Besides penalising the players who acutally like
psionics I mean.

Surely a delibratly *balanced* system would be better.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 6:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

elfbard wrote:

>>But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me thinking.
>>What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with various powers
>>represented by feats, rather than requiring levels in a psionic class?
>
> What would be the point? Besides penalising the players who acutally like
> psionics I mean.
>
> Surely a delibratly *balanced* system would be better.

Well, as feats (and/or skills) it would restore the old D+D "option"
of playing a "core" class with a touch of psionics.
Of course you can argue that multiclassing already covers that...
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:16:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Erol K. Bayburt <ErolB1@comcast.net> wrote in
news:cvnj21da02r119anu9l2cahn1sh78mqs62@4ax.com:

> But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me
> thinking. What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with
> various powers represented by feats, rather than requiring
> levels in a psionic class?

How about looking at the Divine Feats from Defenders of the Faith?

Consider Psionics to be be the equivalent of Turn Undead. Spend a
Feat to get it, then spend further Feats to get powers. Take Extra
Psionics to get another 4 uses per day.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:17:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Quentin Stephens wrote:

>Erol K. Bayburt <ErolB1@comcast.net> wrote in
>news:cvnj21da02r119anu9l2cahn1sh78mqs62@4ax.com:
>
>
>
>>But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me
>>thinking. What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with
>>various powers represented by feats, rather than requiring
>>levels in a psionic class?
>>
>>
>
>How about looking at the Divine Feats from Defenders of the Faith?
>
>Consider Psionics to be be the equivalent of Turn Undead. Spend a
>Feat to get it, then spend further Feats to get powers. Take Extra
>Psionics to get another 4 uses per day.
>
>
May I suggest The Psychic's Handbook? It has a Feat and Skilled
based psionic system. Usable in either D&D or D20 Modern.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:02:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <cvnj21da02r119anu9l2cahn1sh78mqs62@4ax.com>,
Erol K. Bayburt <ErolB1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me thinking.
>What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with various powers
>represented by feats, rather than requiring levels in a psionic class?

Maybe use the mechanics for Dragon Marks in Eberron?

seann
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:02:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Seann M. Ives wrote:

> In article <cvnj21da02r119anu9l2cahn1sh78mqs62@4ax.com>,
> Erol K. Bayburt <ErolB1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>But the recent thread "are psionics overpowered?" got me thinking.
>>What about a deliberately *weak* psi system, with various powers
>>represented by feats, rather than requiring levels in a psionic class?
>
> Maybe use the mechanics for Dragon Marks in Eberron?

I'm seeing a combo, now!
Dragon Marks, Divine Feats, and Force Powers!
Representing different schools.
And redefine the monks powers as psionic and psi-like.
!