SP 2 is available at the Microsoft Update site.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Frank K." <fkozerski@comcast.net> wrote in message news:mfGdnX71vM3UybPcRVn-uA@comcast.com...
>I just updated and all looks good so far.

I updated an XP Pro box, ran into three minor problems...

1) The OE read font was changed to Arial, previously mine was
set to Times New Roman (not sure if that was the old default or
I changed it). I just set it back.

2) After install couldn't dialup. Not sure if it was a driver issue
or my modem selection was changed (I have two). I simply
uninstalled the desired modem, restarted to allow the system to
reinstall it, made sure the dialup was set to use that modem,
and it worked again.

3) A local webpage that uses javascript triggered an alert, as
expected due to local machine lockdown. Edited the html
file, added a mark of the web comment, problem solved.

This article is interesting:

IE Flaw Affects Windows XP SP2 Systems
August 26, 2004
By Gregg Keizer, TechWeb News

Microsoft on Thursday flatly denied reports that one of Windows XP Service
Pack 2's most touted features leaves users open to possible attacks. In
effect, hackers have better things to do, Microsoft said.

According to one outside analysis, SP2's Windows Security Center, the
dashboard-like console that monitors and reports on the status of various
security defenses -- from firewalls to anti-virus software -- can be spoofed
by hackers into displaying false information, such as an enabled firewall or
a even a totally bogus anti-virus package supposedly protecting the PC.

Security status could be faked, said the researchers, by a number of
possible exploit avenues, including the drag-and-drop vulnerability in
Internet Explorer that was made public last week. The possible goal by
hackers: disable defenses but at the same time remain under the radar.

Many in-the-wild worms intentionally disable long lists of firewalls and
anti-virus products. Recent variations of the Bagle worm, for instance,
target almost 300 different pieces of protective software for termination.
By combining that trait with this spoof, worms could infect a PC and yet
remain undetected by the user.
Microsoft denied that Windows Security Center has a vulnerability. "In order
for an attacker to spoof the Windows Security Center, he or she would have
to have local administrator rights on the computer," Microsoft said in an
e-mailed statement.

True, but that may not be much of a defense, since home users in particular
often run Windows in Administrator Mode. Enterprises, wary of the total
control that mode gives end users, typically sets up PCs to run in Limited
Mode.

The Redmond, Wash.-based developer also claimed that even if a system was
compromised -- perhaps by other malicious code that gave attackers
administrator rights -- any exploit of the console was the least of users'
worries.

"Criminal actions the attacker could pursue include many that are far more
interesting than spoofing the Windows Security Center," Microsoft said.

This defense -- that the bigger security holes in Windows are the real
honeypots for hackers, and thus smaller flaws can be safely ignored -- is a
new one from Microsoft.

I updates a Dell 4100 with XP Home and all went smooth. No glitches so far.

bac

"Frank K." <fkozerski@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just updated and all looks good so far.
>
> Frank

Tim

"Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

> And even if it were, would you like everyone at Microsoft to drop whatever
> they're doing and fix your problem *today*?
> --

Did I hear someone yell "bingo!"?

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Corse" <EsroCT@pobox.com> wrote in message news:ZlHXc.12893$eY5.7211@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...
> Actually, the point is that Microsoft hasn't been fixing all these problems.

The first question is, is the Security Center/WMI database issue really
a problem that needs fixing, or is it merely something that people should
be aware of? I don't know much about WMI, but based on what
little I've read it seems pretty logical that the database be accessible
to applications/scripts running as administrator.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:15:56 GMT, Corse wrote:

> That was a rather silly response. Don't you ever read the newspapers or
> computer magazines. Microsoft has had a long long history of problems with
> security in Windows/IE. Are you so blinded by your loyalties that you are
> ignoring what is squarely in front of you?

I don't see why this is so surprising. When you have an OS which is being
used by the majority of machines, of course folks are going to spend a lot
of time finding a way to break the security of the software.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:10:08 -0400, "Bernie Clark"
<bac2bac@comcast2004.net> wrote:

>I updates a Dell 4100 with XP Home and all went smooth. No glitches so far.
>
>bac
>
>"Frank K." <fkozerski@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I just updated and all looks good so far.
>>
>> Frank

Updated my 4100 under WinXP Pro without a hitch.. Actually a VERY
simple procedure although it can take a bit of time to complete due to
the size of the upgrade.

pixie

TRENDING THREADS