MN500 used as router

I have a satellite internet modem that has to be plugged
dir into the server not into the MN500, so I have 2 nics
on the server, one lan nic and one for the satellite
modem. I have to manually assign the ip addresses for
everything, but I have a problem getting the ICS check
box to take without an error message on the modem nic
advanced properties window?

Also, I get poor wireless range - 50' max with a poor
rated reception even with free line of sight. Is there a
way to boost the signal strength of the MN500?
Anythoughts?
thanks

No, there is no way to modify Microsoft's base stations to increase the
signal strength. You might try different channels, but a lot of wireless
strength is determined by environment of the home, including other
electrical appliances in the area. Make sure the base station is away from
any walls, and try different channels.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Mark A" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a satellite internet modem that has to be plugged
> dir into the server not into the MN500, so I have 2 nics
> on the server, one lan nic and one for the satellite
> modem. I have to manually assign the ip addresses for
> everything, but I have a problem getting the ICS check
> box to take without an error message on the modem nic
> advanced properties window?
>
> Also, I get poor wireless range - 50' max with a poor
> rated reception even with free line of sight. Is there a
> way to boost the signal strength of the MN500?
> Anythoughts?
> thanks

"Mark A" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a satellite internet modem that has to be plugged
> dir into the server not into the MN500, so I have 2 nics
> on the server, one lan nic and one for the satellite
> modem. I have to manually assign the ip addresses for
> everything, but I have a problem getting the ICS check
> box to take without an error message on the modem nic
> advanced properties window?
>
> Also, I get poor wireless range - 50' max with a poor
> rated reception even with free line of sight. Is there a
> way to boost the signal strength of the MN500?
> Anythoughts?
> thanks

Regarding the range of the MN-500, keep in mind that the problem may be
compounded by the client WLAN adaptor. In particular, PC Cards have
relatively poor antennas unless an external antenna is added. The clients
also tend to have a horizontally polarized internal antenna and the vertical
antenna on the MN-500 radiates a vertically polarized signal. Here's a link
to a BYTE magazine article that goes into more detail
http://www.trevormarshall.com/byte_articles/byte1.htm , perhaps you might
try rotating the MN-500 antenna 90 degrees and experimenting with the
orientation of the client adaptor for a better signal/data level. It's
generally believed that horizontally polarized signals work better in
buildings.

Sorry, I can't comment on your issues with ICS, it's not in my area of
expertise.

TRENDING THREADS