AXIA, Blue Copper, AVIA.. What is the scoop?

G

AXIA, Blue Copper Unlocked, AVIA.. What is the scoop on the AMD T-Bird dies?

Here is what I'm looking at:

AMD THUNDERBIRD 1333 MHZ/FSB@266 OEM SOCKET A (30 DAY WARR) $196.95

AMD TBIRD 1333 MHZ@266 OEM- BLUE COPPER DIE(30 DAYS WARR)AXIA-UNLOCK $216.95

AMD TBIRD 1333 MHZ@266 OEM(30 DAYS WARR)AXIA-SERIAL NO FROM Yxxxxx $231.95

AMD TBIRD 1333 MHZ@266 OEM(1 YEAR WARR)AXIA -SERIAL NO FROM Yxxxxx - $251.95

Excluding FSB, what is the low down on the serial #s and types? What do they have to do with overclocking? Not much? A lot?

Thanks!

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, from the gossip on the forum and other forums and sites, I am being lead to believe that that the AXIA and AVIA steppings are the newest, and most able to take overclocking. Now, to insure that you get those steppings, if overclocking is your thing, is to get the retail/boxed version of the CPU you want. That way, you get a nice long warrenty (3-year) and a HSF that, from the accounts of some people, will allow the cooling of a 1.2GHz AXIA/AVIA to 1.5+GHz, with only a few upticks in the temp... ~2-3C. I myself have never tried that, but I suppose that if the new AXIA and AVIA cores are that refined, maybe the raising of the clock speed doesn't raise temp as much as it used to, or the HSF that AMD supplies with their CPUs are meant to be used for 1.2-1.7GHz (the end of the line for T-Bird, by most accounts). Either way, AXIA and AVIA are good overclockers... some say that the Yxxxxx is different from ones with Axxxxx, but I'm not sure how much of a difference is present. Also, all 1GHz+ processors that are a 266FSB will have the copper core, as they are made in Dresden. But getting a retail/boxed CPU will insure that for any speed and FSB. Color, apparently, no longer means anything, as some Al cores have been seen with blue tints. Just get retail/boxed, and you'll be in heaven.

-SammyBoy

Without Evil, there can be no Good. Therefore, without an Intel, there can be no AMD.