Athlon 266 on KT133a

G

YES ! 266 is actually 133, but x2.. hmm.. well, anyway its 133 Mhz, but gives you 266 Mhz performance (DDR).

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

G

YES then you can only use 100mhz DDR fsb.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jenspetersen on 05/22/01 11:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's exactly what he is saying.
It is in part a marketing thing. They say 200 and 266 but it's still run on a 100 and 133 board respectively.

Old systems could only access RAM on either the rise or the fall of system clock. If it had a FSB speed of 100Mhz then that was the speed that RAM was accessed. If it was 133Mhz then it was at that.

Athlon accesses RAM on both the rise and fall in the system clock thus doubling the amount of accesses. Giving a virtual RAM speed of 200 and 266Mhz on FSB speeds of 100 and 133.

Comprende.

T

<font color=blue>Elephants are the only animals that can't jump. Just as well!</font color=blue>

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Woo!

Don't confuse the issue. Marketers also refer to this technology in Athlon where it accesses twice per as DDR. Don't confuse this with DDR-RAM, because that's a different story.

<font color=blue>Elephants are the only animals that can't jump. Just as well!</font color=blue>

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pronounced "bab-ay-ans" right?

Where have I heard that before?

T

G

your memory will still run at 133mhz but your CPU bus will be at 100mhz DDR, the system will still be faster if you go for the 266 CPU, as a piont on the side, Are you getting the KT133a chipset for any paticular reason , cos if you are buying new memory you may as well go for PC2100 DDR cos from Crucial.com it is about the same price as PC133, if you are not buying RAM then consider the A7A with the ALI chipset cos that can handle SDR or DDR ram giving you the option to replace you PC133 ram with PC2100 later....

M

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...

chris_cope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
What I am asking is what speed the SDRAM will run, not DDR. If I put an Athlon 200 on, can I only run the FSB of the KT133a at 100, not 133? In otherwords, to take advantage of the KT133a and PC133 SDRAM, must I have an Athlon 266?

The other question, why not DDR? Now that the prices is the same, I may change my mind. But the KT133a is rock solid and I've heard that the a7v isn't. And I'd rather have Asus than MSI. But I'm not super firm on that. Since I'm only getting a 5% performance gain with DDR, I just want to be sure not to spend more than 5% more.

G

The answer too your first Question is Yes the 266 Athlon will be better than a 200 opn that setup,

The answer too the second is not as simple
I run 3 Athlon box's 800 on a KT7R , 1000 on A7V(KT133),and 1.2(266) on a A7M(AMD 761) all of which are as solid as a rock, BUT one person I know has an A7V and has had a few problems with it. The Fastest DDR Chipset is the AMD761 the most flexible is the ALI Magik and I am not sure about the VIA one .... in short I would reccomend the A7M MB with DDR ram but it is up too you where your money is best spent as for games any CPU >900 is limited greatly by your graphics card.....
Hope this makes sense and helps

M

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...

Makaveli

Splendid
You guys missed the second question, On a Kt133a
when the Fsb is run at 133/266 the memory also has to be run @ 133. only if u drop the processor fsb down to 100 will u have the choice between 100 or 133 for the memory.

G

"Pronounced "bab-ay-ans" right?
Where have I heard that before?"

I dont think you have.. Its actually my real name..Bob Baeyens. I dont like having 159 different logins, so I chose one I can actually remember ;-)

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip