Poly questions

Hi,

Just a couple of questions on my current game (which I cant lose, Monk
with AC of close to -50, +7 Mojo and +7 Frost brand, all the
intrinsics, and quite a few good spells, and all this being vegan),
figured Id ask them before I wake the wizard up and get in some
trouble.

1- Ive just finished eating some rings to gain more intrinsics,
including a ring of poly and also poly control, what do you recommend I
poly into when asked (obviously something huminoid that can use my
armour)? Ive gone for a vamp lord at the moment, as they dont breath,
fly, drain level, are drain level resistant, and have a naked AC under
0(?), is there anything you'd recomend instead? Is it better to stay as
a human? If so, is there a way to stay human without getting the 'you
feel like a new woman' message and your stats getting thrown about?

2- As Ive said, Im in vamp lord form at the moment, and did some
enlightenment just to be sure everything was ok, and noticed my god is
very angry with me. Is this because Im in non-human form? I cant think
of anything Ive done to upset him, except maybe kill a few peacfulls,
but Im chaotic, so I didnt think that gave you a penalty. If it is
being non-human, will sacrificing help that? Id like to be able to pray
if need be (which I shouldnt need to, but still)

3- Now on my status line, instead of Exp Lv, I have HD, is this the
same thing? I was Exp lv 17 (which grants teleport control), now Im HD
12, but still have teleport control. What is this HD??

If anyone out there could answer these q's it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Marky Mark wrote:
> ...my current game (which I cant lose...

You know that's just asking for trouble, don't you?
My last character of that calibre choked to death on a tin of spinach...

dogsc...@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Marky Mark wrote:
> > ...my current game (which I cant lose...
>
> You know that's just asking for trouble, don't you?
> My last character of that calibre choked to death on a tin of
spinach...

I know it is, and I put that in deliberatly to get a reaction... but
dont worry, Im still playing very carefully, and I have had high level
character choke once (on, of all things, a wraith corpse), so Im wary
of that too.

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > 1- Ive just finished eating some rings to gain more intrinsics,
> > including a ring of poly and also poly control, what do you
recommend I
> > poly into when asked (obviously something huminoid that can use my
> > armour)? Ive gone for a vamp lord at the moment, as they dont
breath,
> > fly, drain level, are drain level resistant, and have a naked AC
under
> > 0(?), is there anything you'd recomend instead?
>
> I think they're quite good. Maybe Aleaxes are also good,
> since they have multiple attacks IIRC.

Ok, found just two anoying things about vamp lords, one, they have
surprisingly low max HP (Ive had b/w 40-60, compared to me Lv 19 Monk
with around 450), and two, their bite attack could get me into trouble
with trices (although I am constantly wearing an amulet of life saving,
and have backups in case I do something stupid). I'll try aleaxes and
see how I go with them

> > 2- As Ive said, Im in vamp lord form at the moment, and did some
> > enlightenment just to be sure everything was ok, and noticed my god
is
> > very angry with me. Is this because Im in non-human form?
>
> Well, all I know is that you can't safely pray when in undead
> or in demonic form -- if your god is non-chaotic.

Strange, my god is chaotic (Im playing chaotic monk, first chaotic
thats come close to ascending, and its so much easier getting out of
hell playing chaotic!)

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Just a couple of questions on my current game (which I cant lose,

It's time for a collection of famous last words in nethack.
This sounds like a good candidate for rank one ;-).

> 1- Ive just finished eating some rings to gain more intrinsics,
> including a ring of poly and also poly control, what do you recommend I
> poly into when asked (obviously something huminoid that can use my
> armour)? Ive gone for a vamp lord at the moment, as they dont breath,
> fly, drain level, are drain level resistant, and have a naked AC under
> 0(?), is there anything you'd recomend instead?

I think they're quite good. Maybe Aleaxes are also good,
since they have multiple attacks IIRC.

> Is it better to stay as
> a human? If so, is there a way to stay human without getting the 'you
> feel like a new woman' message and your stats getting thrown about?

No. You still have a flat 1/5 chance.

> 2- As Ive said, Im in vamp lord form at the moment, and did some
> enlightenment just to be sure everything was ok, and noticed my god is
> very angry with me. Is this because Im in non-human form?

Well, all I know is that you can't safely pray when in undead
or in demonic form -- if your god is non-chaotic.

> 3- Now on my status line, instead of Exp Lv, I have HD, is this the
> same thing?

No. You usually start with basic HD for the monster.

Best,
Jakob

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> writes:

[Vampire lords]
> > I think they're quite good. Maybe Aleaxes are also good,
> > since they have multiple attacks IIRC.
>
> Ok, found just two anoying things about vamp lords, one, they have
> surprisingly low max HP (Ive had b/w 40-60, compared to me Lv 19 Monk
> with around 450),

Ah, I forgot: If you are perm-polyed using an "oU, you can
build up HP by !ofH, but if you use poly control to poly
into a "new" vampire lord every now and then, HPs will
drop again.

> and two, their bite attack could get me into trouble
> with trices (although I am constantly wearing an amulet of life saving,
> and have backups in case I do something stupid).

Unless you're running genoless, you can just wipe *trices
out. Of course, this has other drawbacks.

[god angry]
> > Well, all I know is that you can't safely pray when in undead
> > or in demonic form -- if your god is non-chaotic.
>
> Strange, my god is chaotic (Im playing chaotic monk, first chaotic
> thats come close to ascending, and its so much easier getting out of
> hell playing chaotic!)

I assume you did something else. Maybe you prayed in Gehennom.
Godly anger won't vanish like bad luck; you'll have to
sacrifice it away.

Best,
Jakob

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Marky Mark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a couple of questions on my current game (which I cant lose, Monk
> with AC of close to -50, +7 Mojo and +7 Frost brand, all the
> intrinsics, and quite a few good spells, and all this being vegan),
> figured Id ask them before I wake the wizard up and get in some
> trouble.
>
> 1- Ive just finished eating some rings to gain more intrinsics,
> including a ring of poly and also poly control, what do you recommend I
> poly into when asked (obviously something huminoid that can use my
> armour)? Ive gone for a vamp lord at the moment, as they dont breath,
> fly, drain level, are drain level resistant, and have a naked AC under
> 0(?), is there anything you'd recomend instead? Is it better to stay as
> a human? If so, is there a way to stay human without getting the 'you
> feel like a new woman' message and your stats getting thrown about?

Xorns are nice to (lots of attack, don't eat, phase through walls (you
won't need to dig your way in Hell). (plus they can eat some rings and
amulets)
cockatrice can lay egg (pet (a bit low level) or hand grenades (luck
penalty)).
Dragon can lay eggs to (pet, but you'll need a lot of time to raise them
from baby to adult). In early to mid game, I usually like to have
something like 4 or 5 of my babies balck dragon (with magic whistle),
since there's still low level monsters (orcs and such) to make them become
adult (and lauching a bunch of adult black dragon in the castle is rather
fun). Plus disintegration breath is a good way to open a path through a
summoning storm...

In slash'em, crystal golem (300 HP, all the intrisincs you'll ever need
(maybe more), breath attack).

> 2- As Ive said, Im in vamp lord form at the moment, and did some
> enlightenment just to be sure everything was ok, and noticed my god is
> very angry with me. Is this because Im in non-human form? I cant think
> of anything Ive done to upset him, except maybe kill a few peacfulls,
> but Im chaotic, so I didnt think that gave you a penalty. If it is
> being non-human, will sacrificing help that? Id like to be able to pray
> if need be (which I shouldnt need to, but still)

Prayed in Hell ?
You'll need to sacrifice to your god to get this fixed.

> 3- Now on my status line, instead of Exp Lv, I have HD, is this the
> same thing? I was Exp lv 17 (which grants teleport control), now Im HD
> 12, but still have teleport control. What is this HD??

HD = Hit Dice. In D&D, monsters do not have levels but Hit Dice (I can't
really find out why, but that's it).
In nethack, I can't remeber how HD:levels interact. I think your real
level is still remembered (for intrisics/exp/...) and that changing level
in you polyed form will also change your real level (and so change your
level when you'll turn back to normal form). Wiztest it if you want to be
sure.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

TRENDING THREADS