Sign in with
Your question

Intel's Itanium speeds encryption

Last response: in CPUs
May 22, 2001 4:10:54 PM

<A HREF="http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/stories/0,1199,NAV47-6..." target="_new">http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/stories/0,1199,NAV47-6...;/A>

IA64 looks good. Maybe microsoft servers wont get hacked.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 4:17:51 PM

Does Intel still do that CPU ID thing?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
May 22, 2001 5:32:09 PM

Ouch! spanked the ultra Sparc.

You mean processor serial number for web tracking?
Its been removed for awhile now.
Related resources
May 22, 2001 6:48:42 PM

That was removed due to public outcry. Funny that Sun's chips all have it though. Noone's crying about that.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2001 7:46:12 PM

Its pretty impressive, I admit.. However, when you read the actual report, you'll see they compare the Itanium 800 with the "old" UltraSparc II 450 Mhz. I think it would have been more interesting to compare to the UltraSparc III 750 Mhz, since that cpu is already out for over 6 months. Kind of comparing a Atlhon with a Pentium II.. (

not that I suspect Sun would win the comparison with a Ultra III vs Itanium, but then SSL decoding is just *one* thing to measure.. A very specific one, and obviously one that is well suited to VLIW. Im curious what Itanium will bring in the future..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip
May 22, 2001 11:52:29 PM

well, keep in mind Sun's chips are rarely sold to people for general use.
you're not gonna surf the web, check your email and such on an server like that regularly.
I don't mind it on my servers, but I don't want it on my personal computer.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
!