Avast free + malwarebytes free + windows security essentials

Hey everyone,

Is a combination of Avast free, Malwarebytes free and windows security essentials a good all-around set up for protection against viruses, spyware and anything similarly dangerous?

If not can anyone suggest some other alternatives paid or free?

Thanks.
14 answers Last reply
More about avast free malwarebytes free windows security essentials
  1. Microsoft Security Essentials is an Antivirus, and so is Avast, you really shouldn't use 2 at the same time. But any combination of those 3 should be fine. Though you might want to consider one with a firewall included, as Windows Firewall isn't that great.

I hear good and bad things about Zone Alarm's free firewall. So you could try it and see how it works. Or you could try Avast Internet Security for 30 days and see how you like it. http://www.avast.com/download-trial
  2. MSE + Malwarebytes = GOOD

3 OF THEM = BAD

Norton Internet Security 2013 = PERFECT
  3. Just use Avast free + Malwarebytes free and a personal firewall you be fine.
  4. cliffro said:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is an Antivirus, and so is Avast, you really shouldn't use 2 at the same time. But any combination of those 3 should be fine. Though you might want to consider one with a firewall included, as Windows Firewall isn't that great.

I hear good and bad things about Zone Alarm's free firewall. So you could try it and see how it works. Or you could try Avast Internet Security for 30 days and see how you like it. http://www.avast.com/download-trial

ZoneAlarm has recently became a resource hog like Norton used to be. I have to agree with Brett on this one and use MSE + MalwareBytes or splurge and wait for NIS 2013 to go on sale (which I know where I work it happens quite often) and get that and run NIS and MalwareBytes together.
  5. Windows Security Essentials and Avast are bot the antivirus softwares, so i would advice you not to use 2 antivirus at the same time, you can use any one antivirus or else some other good antivirus like comodo, AVG etc too.
  6. Idiot that says norton is perfect has no idea what he is talking about.
    Stick to either Avast OR MSI, then add malwarebytes.
    Good combination.
  7. Norton does outclass the others.
  8. Norton sucks, go with Avast and Malwarebytes, but definitely install a personal firewall such as Comodo Firewall for ultimate protection.
  9. Avast and Malwarebytes is a pretty good combination. And you do not need WSE.
  10. I've been using Avast free, Malwarebytes free, & PrivateFirewall 7 free since I installed windows 7 in march of 2012. PrivateFirewall is the most comprehensive, least bloated free firewall I've found. That combination has kept everything working smooth. I also run manual scans on every file I download with Superantispyware free, Avast, and Malwarebytes before running it. I do routine system scans with TDDSKiller, HitmanPro and HijackThis as well, just for added measure. I use the free versions of all the software I mentioned. If I was to pay for anything, it would likely be to upgrade Malwarebytes or possibly SuperAntiSpyware (which, for both products, gives you a version that runs actively in the background, rather than just the on demand file or system scan you can do with the free version). Having an actively running dedicated malware detection in the background would help to close a very real security hole for me, because Avast doesn't catch many malware threats. As a side note, I'm not aware of any independent testing which has shown MSE to be a very thorough anti-virus or anti-malware solution. It just isn't a mature product yet, and people shouldn't be relying on it. MSE has comparatively poor detection rate for zero-day malware, which is making up an ever increasingly larger percentage of malware attacks. Until Microsoft improves the behavioral process detection in MSE, I can't believe anyone would recommend it. I'm guessing that MSE is such a low drain on system resources because its heuristical analysis (which uses more system resources) is not very thorough....meaning, it's speedy because it isn't very thorough.
  11. Brett928S2 said:
    MSE + Malwarebytes = GOOD

3 OF THEM = BAD

Norton internet security 2013/2014 = Bad Im have malwarebytes is finding much more
  12. I'm sorry, but anyone who recommends Norton or McAfee has no clue what real world decent antivirus is. Avast with the Paid Malwarebytes is pretty much as bullit proof as you can get for such low cost. Kaspersky is pretty decent also but I don't have a large enough sampling of customers using it to make a real "THIS IS 100% TRUE" statement. With low test numbers it could be safe surfing.

Norton is a horrible antivirus and has been since 2004'ish. While it's not as bloated as previous years (2005 to 2011) it still blows for an overall solution. Norton won't find certain infections giving you a false sense of security. Running any free antivirus will usually find more stuff than the paid Norton. Norton USED to be great. Until 2004'ish... after that it was a very steep hill down and a slow one coming up.

Not sure if I can post a link but here's proof Norton failing years ago. I havn't redone this test with newer ones but I still see it from time to time (not many customers use Norton anymore).

http://www.perrycomputerservices.com/Articles/2005/norton_product_review.htm

Also, MSSE isn't that great. And for those people suggesting better firewalls.... in the real world, better firewalls do not help novices. The outgoing "Are you sure you want to allow this program to access the internet?" will ALWAYS be met with a YES. After all... when a decent firewall is used how many of you would allow "ccapp" or whatever the heck it's called now to access the internet? It's a piece of Norton that needs online access. Novices will never say NO to something. Verbal firewalls are bad for novices. Us experts... don't get infected anyways. I have hooked up thousands of machines to my network here and only once had a problem since 1997.

Brett928S2 said:
    MSE + Malwarebytes = GOOD

3 OF THEM = BAD

13. Malwarebytes free is not resident and won't offer any protection at all "on the fly". Once some heavy duty rootkits get in it's almost impossible to remove them. Stopping them before they get in is WAY better. And Malwarebytes is $24.99 for 3 PC's for a year. Well worth it.

bigcyco1 said:
    Just use Avast free + Malwarebytes free and a personal firewall you be fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Windows Security Spyware Windows 7