Sign in with
Your question

Avast free + malwarebytes free + windows security essentials

Last response: in Windows 7
January 19, 2013 1:07:15 PM

Hey everyone,

Is a combination of Avast free, Malwarebytes free and windows security essentials a good all-around set up for protection against viruses, spyware and anything similarly dangerous?

If not can anyone suggest some other alternatives paid or free?

Thanks.
January 19, 2013 1:52:37 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is an Antivirus, and so is Avast, you really shouldn't use 2 at the same time. But any combination of those 3 should be fine. Though you might want to consider one with a firewall included, as Windows Firewall isn't that great.

I hear good and bad things about Zone Alarm's free firewall. So you could try it and see how it works. Or you could try Avast Internet Security for 30 days and see how you like it. http://www.avast.com/download-trial

m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 3:57:44 PM

MSE + Malwarebytes = GOOD

3 OF THEM = BAD

Norton Internet Security 2013 = PERFECT
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 4:09:11 PM

Just use Avast free + Malwarebytes free and a personal firewall you be fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 4:13:34 PM

cliffro said:
Microsoft Security Essentials is an Antivirus, and so is Avast, you really shouldn't use 2 at the same time. But any combination of those 3 should be fine. Though you might want to consider one with a firewall included, as Windows Firewall isn't that great.

I hear good and bad things about Zone Alarm's free firewall. So you could try it and see how it works. Or you could try Avast Internet Security for 30 days and see how you like it. http://www.avast.com/download-trial

ZoneAlarm has recently became a resource hog like Norton used to be. I have to agree with Brett on this one and use MSE + MalwareBytes or splurge and wait for NIS 2013 to go on sale (which I know where I work it happens quite often) and get that and run NIS and MalwareBytes together.
m
l
January 24, 2013 5:13:56 AM

Windows Security Essentials and Avast are bot the antivirus softwares, so i would advice you not to use 2 antivirus at the same time, you can use any one antivirus or else some other good antivirus like comodo, AVG etc too.
m
l
January 31, 2013 7:36:48 PM

Idiot that says norton is perfect has no idea what he is talking about.
Stick to either Avast OR MSI, then add malwarebytes.
Good combination.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 31, 2013 11:22:59 PM

Norton does outclass the others.
m
l
June 12, 2013 7:01:14 AM

Norton sucks, go with Avast and Malwarebytes, but definitely install a personal firewall such as Comodo Firewall for ultimate protection.
m
l
June 25, 2013 10:38:50 AM

Avast and Malwarebytes is a pretty good combination. And you do not need WSE.
m
l
July 16, 2013 6:49:12 PM

I've been using Avast free, Malwarebytes free, & PrivateFirewall 7 free since I installed windows 7 in march of 2012. PrivateFirewall is the most comprehensive, least bloated free firewall I've found. That combination has kept everything working smooth. I also run manual scans on every file I download with Superantispyware free, Avast, and Malwarebytes before running it. I do routine system scans with TDDSKiller, HitmanPro and HijackThis as well, just for added measure. I use the free versions of all the software I mentioned. If I was to pay for anything, it would likely be to upgrade Malwarebytes or possibly SuperAntiSpyware (which, for both products, gives you a version that runs actively in the background, rather than just the on demand file or system scan you can do with the free version). Having an actively running dedicated malware detection in the background would help to close a very real security hole for me, because Avast doesn't catch many malware threats. As a side note, I'm not aware of any independent testing which has shown MSE to be a very thorough anti-virus or anti-malware solution. It just isn't a mature product yet, and people shouldn't be relying on it. MSE has comparatively poor detection rate for zero-day malware, which is making up an ever increasingly larger percentage of malware attacks. Until Microsoft improves the behavioral process detection in MSE, I can't believe anyone would recommend it. I'm guessing that MSE is such a low drain on system resources because its heuristical analysis (which uses more system resources) is not very thorough....meaning, it's speedy because it isn't very thorough.
m
l
June 10, 2014 10:21:48 AM

Brett928S2 said:
MSE + Malwarebytes = GOOD

3 OF THEM = BAD

Norton Internet Security 2013 = PERFECT

Norton internet security 2013/2014 = Bad Im have malwarebytes is finding much more
m
l
!