[S] Question about metal & jeweled rings and digging up gr..

OK so I have lost to count 2 rings of levitation (iron), 1 ring of
protection (emerald) and 2 rings of slow digestion (engagement). They have
been lost as near as I can figure to either a lightning attack, or some
sort of acid/pudding/ooze thing. If there was a message when the rings
were destroyed, I did not see it. I am 85% certain that at least one of
the losses were due to a black pudding (now genocided with all the other P
type creatures).

Is there any way to proof metal and/or jeweled rings from these attacks
short of genociding the offending creatures? I am assuming a greased ring
would not be much use...

Also what is the whole luck/alignment theory thing on digging up graves? I
am currently a neutral doppleganger Valkryie.

TIA

In news:<Xns963ABAA7A6510icubeddeathtospamrem@216.196.97.142>, Phlimm
<icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> says...
[snip ring stuff]
> Also what is the whole luck/alignment theory thing on digging up graves? I
> am currently a neutral doppleganger Valkryie.

I don't know any Slashem specifics, but in Vanilla these things should
be true:

alignment adjustment - cause
-3 - As a lawful Archaeologist, digging up a grave
-1 - As any other lawful, digging up a grave
ref: http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/pray.html#app

actions that abuse your wisdom
* Digging into a grave
* Engraving on a gravestone
ref: http://www.geocities.com/dcorbett42/nethack/exercise.htm#WISAB

AFAIK, luck and god's anger is not affected by anything that has to do
specifically with graves.

So it seems, unless Slashem does it some other way, that wisdom abuse is
the only penalty that you would get for gravedigging with your current
character.

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Gurl fnl gung veba tbyrz cyngr znvy vfa'g jbegu jvfuvat sbe.

Phlimm wrote:

> I am 85% certain that at least one of the losses were due to a black
> pudding (now genocided with all the other P type creatures).

Count me in for the remaining 15%. Black puddings don't destroy items,
they only damage them (and then, not rings).

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 17 Apr 2005:

> Phlimm wrote:
>
>> I am 85% certain that at least one of the losses were due to a black
>> pudding (now genocided with all the other P type creatures).
>
> Count me in for the remaining 15%. Black puddings don't destroy items,
> they only damage them (and then, not rings).

OK then if not a black pudding, any ideas as to how I lost them? I
specifically used them at one point (Lev. Ring at the Medusa Level, the
other two worn almost all the time), then kicked a sink and killed the
black pudding. Not long afterwards (< 20 turns) I noticed they were gone.
It is possible that I had a lightning attack that did it, but I am not
positive. All I know is that the iron, emerald and engagement rings were
all gone and this is not the first time it has happened in this, or other
games.

Each time I noticed this phenomenon, it has been a surpise. I must admit
however, that I tend to not read _every _ message that flies by when I rip
through the mobs with the +6 Mojo or +1 Magicbane.

I am leaning towards an electrical effect that is taking them out. I have
decided to try to get Magicbane to cancel any electrical creature, or go
after anything with a Wand of Lightning with extreme prejudice...but as for
now I am hoarding those types of rings as much as possible.

Phlimm wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 17 Apr 2005:
>
> > Phlimm wrote:
> >
> >> I am 85% certain that at least one of the losses were due to a
black
> >> pudding (now genocided with all the other P type creatures).
> >
> > Count me in for the remaining 15%. Black puddings don't destroy
items,
> > they only damage them (and then, not rings).
> >

> OK then if not a black pudding, any ideas as to how I lost them?

My guess is that you were dropping/ picking up your entire inventory
for some reason (polymorph?) and you happened to be standing on a sink
(Probably the sink you got your black pudding from). Rings dropped on
sinks disappear down the plughole. I've had rings mysteriously
"disappear" like that before now.

Klaus Kassner wrote:

> With shock resistance, I believe (but am not sure) that your equipment
> will not be protected from electric shocks.

This is true in vanilla, anyway.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

Phlimm wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 17 Apr 2005:
>

>>Phlimm wrote:
>>

>>>I am 85% certain that at least one of the losses were due to a black
>>>pudding (now genocided with all the other P type creatures).
>>
>>Count me in for the remaining 15%. Black puddings don't destroy items,
>>they only damage them (and then, not rings).
>>

> OK then if not a black pudding, any ideas as to how I lost them? I
> specifically used them at one point (Lev. Ring at the Medusa Level, the
> other two worn almost all the time), then kicked a sink and killed the
> black pudding. Not long afterwards (< 20 turns) I noticed they were gone.

If you don't have reflection, wands of lightning can do this do you.

> Each time I noticed this phenomenon, it has been a surpise. I must admit
> however, that I tend to not read _every _ message that flies by when I rip
> through the mobs with the +6 Mojo or +1 Magicbane.

> I am leaning towards an electrical effect that is taking them out. I have
> decided to try to get Magicbane to cancel any electrical creature, or go
> after anything with a Wand of Lightning with extreme prejudice...but as for
> now I am hoarding those types of rings as much as possible.

Reflection will protect you against wands of lightning but not against
being zapped by an electric eel - just take them out from a distance
(obviously *not* using Mojo).

Finally, if you are throwing Mjollnir, you will get hit by it in the
rare event when it fails returning to your hand. That may also destroy
rings and wands, and reflection does not help here. I am not even sure
that shock resistance will help in that case (logically speaking it
would protect you but not necessarily your equipment, on the other hand
disintegration resistance protects you *and* your equipment).

Klaus Kassner babbled on for HOURS on 18 Apr 2005:

> Phlimm wrote:
>> Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 17 Apr 2005:

>>>Count me in for the remaining 15%. Black puddings don't destroy
>>>items, they only damage them (and then, not rings).

>> OK then if not a black pudding, any ideas as to how I lost them? I
>> specifically used them at one point (Lev. Ring at the Medusa Level,
>> the other two worn almost all the time), then kicked a sink and
>> killed the black pudding. Not long afterwards (< 20 turns) I noticed
>> they were gone.
>
> If you don't have reflection, wands of lightning can do this do you.
>
>> Each time I noticed this phenomenon, it has been a surpise. I must
>> admit however, that I tend to not read _every _ message that flies by
>> when I rip through the mobs with the +6 Mojo or +1 Magicbane.
>
>> I am leaning towards an electrical effect that is taking them out. I
>> have decided to try to get Magicbane to cancel any electrical
>> creature, or go after anything with a Wand of Lightning with extreme
>> prejudice...but as for now I am hoarding those types of rings as much
>> as possible.
>
> Reflection will protect you against wands of lightning but not against
> being zapped by an electric eel - just take them out from a distance
> (obviously *not* using Mojo).
>
> Finally, if you are throwing Mjollnir, you will get hit by it in the
> rare event when it fails returning to your hand. That may also
> destroy rings and wands, and reflection does not help here. I am not
> even sure that shock resistance will help in that case (logically
> speaking it would protect you but not necessarily your equipment, on
> the other hand disintegration resistance protects you *and* your
> equipment).

Hmm well I do have Mirrorbright, all ";" types have been genocided, and I
only had a 24 Str at the time so throwing Mojo was not an option. Plus I
have Disinitegration Resistance as well.

Also in response to the reply:

> My guess is that you were dropping/ picking up your entire inventory
> for some reason (polymorph?) and you happened to be standing on a sink
> (Probably the sink you got your black pudding from). Rings dropped on
> sinks disappear down the plughole. I've had rings mysteriously
> "disappear" like that before now.

I have not needed to drop all inventory in a LONG time, so that is not
the answer either.

Phlimm wrote:
> Klaus Kassner babbled on for HOURS on 18 Apr 2005:
>

>>Phlimm wrote:
>>
>>>Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 17 Apr 2005:

>>>Each time I noticed this phenomenon, it has been a surpise. I must
>>>admit however, that I tend to not read _every _ message that flies by
>>>when I rip through the mobs with the +6 Mojo or +1 Magicbane.
>>
>>>I am leaning towards an electrical effect that is taking them out. I
>>>have decided to try to get Magicbane to cancel any electrical
>>>creature, or go after anything with a Wand of Lightning with extreme
>>>prejudice...but as for now I am hoarding those types of rings as much
>>>as possible.
>>
>>Reflection will protect you against wands of lightning but not against
>>being zapped by an electric eel - just take them out from a distance
>>(obviously *not* using Mojo).
>>
>>Finally, if you are throwing Mjollnir, you will get hit by it in the
>>rare event when it fails returning to your hand. That may also
>>destroy rings and wands, and reflection does not help here. I am not
>>even sure that shock resistance will help in that case (logically
>>speaking it would protect you but not necessarily your equipment, on
>>the other hand disintegration resistance protects you *and* your
>>equipment).

> Hmm well I do have Mirrorbright, all ";" types have been genocided, and I
> only had a 24 Str at the time so throwing Mojo was not an option. Plus I
> have Disinitegration Resistance as well.

I mentioned disintegration resistance only as an example for a
resistance that will protect your equipment from the effect, not as an
explanation for the disappearing rings. Rings will not get disintegrated.

With shock resistance, I believe (but am not sure) that your equipment
will not be protected from electric shocks. By the way, were you shock
resistant?

So we have ruled out now: wand of lightning (you had reflection)
electric eels (they were genocided)
Mjollnir (you could not throw it)

There are a few other electric creatures in slashem: arc bugs and, more
dangerously, lightning bugs; one of the latter once made half my wand
inventory explode (fortunately the wand of polymorph survived), so I
always try to take them out from a distance. Did you meet one of these?

Phlimm wrote:
> Klaus Kassner babbled on for HOURS on 18 Apr 2005:

>>With shock resistance, I believe (but am not sure) that your equipment
>>will not be protected from electric shocks. By the way, were you
>>shock resistant?
>>
>>So we have ruled out now: wand of lightning (you had reflection)
>> electric eels (they were genocided)
>> Mjollnir (you could not throw it)
>>
>>There are a few other electric creatures in slashem: arc bugs and,
>>more dangerously, lightning bugs; one of the latter once made half my
>>wand inventory explode (fortunately the wand of polymorph survived),
>>so I always try to take them out from a distance. Did you meet one of
>>these?
>

> I have all resistances.

Which would not protect your equipment in the case of an electric shock
by one of the aforementioned bugs.