[YAAD] Am I out of luck ?

After the incident with Yeenoghu a week ago on DL 8,this time
I was killed by a Arch Lich on DL12,XL9.
Monster manual says only occures in Gehennon!?
This level was very well explored by me,I was on the way back
from buying protection in Minetown to continue exploring,so
I am absolutely sure there was no polymorph trap.
Any explanations or is it just normal to get killed by a level 25
mob with Death Touch on DL12?

Meldur

Meldur wrote:
> After the incident with Yeenoghu a week ago on DL 8,this time
> I was killed by a Arch Lich on DL12,XL9.

Sounds to me like the RNG didn't like you and threw a shape-changing
creature in there that happened to take a very deadly form. There may
be other explanations, of course. Did your tombstone pronounce you
killed by an arch lich?

The ones who want to remain unspoiled should probably stop reading now.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

> Monster manual says only occures in Gehennon!?

This sounds spoily to me. Next time you post a question where you have
consulted spoilers, consider that there may be some readers in the
newsgroup that don't want things like this revealed without warning.

> This level was very well explored by me,I was on the way back
> from buying protection in Minetown to continue exploring,so
> I am absolutely sure there was no polymorph trap.

My current monk (just reached XL 11) has encountered and killed at least
one chameleon, just recently having reached Mine's End, so no polymorph
trap would be needed for your misfortune.

> Any explanations or is it just normal to get killed by a level 25
> mob with Death Touch on DL12?

Sounds pretty normal for Nethack to me, if there can be anything
considered normal about this quirky, wonderful, annoying, sometimes
impossible game.

-Ken

Ken Cuvelier wrote:

> It's actually sort of humorous that you are telling me how to behave
> here, because my reply was based on my understanding of the FAQ.
> Perhaps I should have stated my position differently. If it sounded
> like a command, then I apologize.

> [...]
> -Ken

Thanks for explaining your train of thought.

There really was no need to apologise, by the way. I guess we both agree
that the OP might have warned, but that while it would have been
considerate, it wasn't strictly necessary.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Quoting Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de>:
>After the incident with Yeenoghu a week ago on DL 8,this time
>I was killed by a Arch Lich on DL12,XL9.
>Monster manual says only occures in Gehennon!?

Chameleon, probably. Bad luck.

>Any explanations or is it just normal to get killed by a level 25
>mob with Death Touch on DL12?

It's extremely rare, but it does happen, alas.

[Can we avoid the MUDdie use of "mob" for "monster" - as far as I'm
concerned a "mob" is what you get with a summoning storm...]
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Gloucesterday, April.