Why are toms temps better then mine??

G

I have an athlon 1ghz axia c-type in an A7V133 mb. Running everything at stock how come toms hsf tests show my Fop 32 to get max load temps of 38degrees?? my load temps are around 45 with the same ambient temp.

The only thing i can think of is that im using standard white themal grease. WOuld it make that much of a difference with arctic silver??

What do you guys think of this?

G

Its called buttering up. Tom in the past especially with ASUS and Nvidia has butter up their products pretty good.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
THG's test was done using a 100 mhz FSB. Are you running your Athlon-C at 100 mhz or 133 mhz?

Also, heatsink testing is usually done with the motherboard not enclosed by a case. Though, I am not sure THG did it this way.

G

ya im running at 133 fsb but my temp is still greater than his by 5 degrees. Should i get artic silver??

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You should use a thermal compound and Artic Silver is the best.

As I mentioned, THG's test was probably done out of the case so you won't be able to reproduce the same results. If you want to get similar results open your case and use a room fan to blow in extra air. It's not very realistic unless you like using your computer that way but it will give you a good baseline for how cool your CPU can run. After that you can try additional case fans for extra cooling to get closer to that baseline. That's about all you can do unless you want to use more extreme cooling methods.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
There are lots of factors: Air circulation in the case, room temperature, heat from other components in the case. etc.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

Artic Silver isn't going to drop your temps by 5 degrees. As other people pointed out, there are a lot of factors that effect your temps.

How are you monitoring your temps? Are you using the same MoBo, if not there could be a big reason there for the difference.

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think ambient temps are the biggest factor.

If your case is not constant at 24 degrees, you'll get different temps.

The thermal pad MAY perform 1 or 2 degrees worse than ASII or similar compound. It may make no difference. I personally now like ASII over pads as ASII is much easier to redo if you remove and reapply your sink frequently...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thermal paste...
case on/of...
fans on case...
power unit fan...
heat from graphics card...
too many factors...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

G

if your getting these temps of your motherboard monitor you should know its always wrong by how much i cant say but its not accurite at all.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.

G

What you report is nothing new. Very possiblly they are fudging their data to obtain a favorable result.

But then again, maybe not...

Up above the reasons given are quite valid, such as Tom's tests running at 100 FSB, and at a CPU speed of 1GHz. Also consider the ambient temp, a very critical factor. I believe the original tests were conducted at 23C.

Therefore, it stands to reason that anything higher than that would also help boost the HSF temps.

One factor that is also very significant is the vcore voltage. 1GHz CPU's can be run as low as 1.20, and perhaps less. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that the folks at Tom's took full advantage of such an engineering tweak to obtain the lowest possible HSF temp.

Personally, I've lowered my 1.33 AXIA "C" to that exact vcore rating, and have witnessed at least a 5 degree drop in HSF temps. Of course, having an A7V133 BIOS ver. 1004 FXD effectively lowers the temps that much more by placing the CPU into idle mode. Would not be surprised if they had implemented a similar energy saving BIOS to get the lowest possible temps.

RJD

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rjd on 05/25/01 00:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>