dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I asked this on the overclocking board but I'll ask here too. Do I still need a cpu cooler if I don't plan on overclocking? Just curious. Thanks!

G

yes you need a cpu fan for any cpu

yes yes and more yes

make sure its certified for the company etc.. and for the clock speed

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
that all depends.. im assuming you are going for quietness.
if you have a modern process that runs at a low clock rate, you may be able to get away with one of those fancy "fin" heatsinks as shown on toms cooler roundup.
of course if your using a top of the line processor at high Mhz forget it.

but you could use a big heatsink with a small slow fan, or go for one of those nifty silveraado's. nice and quiet
thats assuming you want a quiet computer....

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In short, basically what you need is the basic heatsink and fan, even if it's the one provided by the processor manufacturer at minimum.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
actually it doesn't really have to be certified. Any heatsink with good performance will do. In fact many cpu coolers are not certified by cpu manufacturers but are better than the certified ones

Press any key to continue...
I can't find the any key!!!

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
yes you need a cpu fan for any cpu

Tbirdside i have to disagree with you

Ive seen tons of processers with just a plan old cheep heat sink my P 1 has a tiny heat sink and even my friends P 3 has a heat sink only so i think your statment isnt that totly true <b>All CPUs need at least a Heat Sink</b>

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

G

hay check it out rd382 is right. however i dont understand why anyone would run a fast cpu with out a fan it seems realy stupid to me to kill the spus power and life and risk frying it every day. if ya need it get a heat sink fan combo or hope for the best. and noone give me the well mine didnt ver blow. like i say to every one else that gives me that awnser SO WHAT! so ya got lucky dose that meen anything?

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.