do the new dell 2400's come with cds of XP?

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 27, 2004 4:35:18 AM

I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?

I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.

CaptainKrunch

More about : dell 2400 cds

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:09:25 PM

All the new Dell 2400's I've seen in the last few months include a CD marked
"Restore CD", which is simply a Windows XP Home CD with Service Pack 1
slip-streamed in. If recent history is an accurate guide, you'll also get a
driver & diagnostic CD, a WordPerfect Office CD, an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)
and a couple of others.

As pre-loaded with software at the factory, the 2400 is not loaded down with a
lot of junk and demo-ware. If you don't intend to use AOL, remove all traces of
it from the system. I forget now, but I think there are a couple of other
relatively useless tidbits which can be removed... Ben Myers

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:35:18 -0700, "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:

>I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
>software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
>partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?
>
>I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.
>
>CaptainKrunch

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:05:01 PM

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412f235c.2441644@news.charter.net>...
> All the new Dell 2400's I've seen in the last few months include a CD marked
> "Restore CD", which is simply a Windows XP Home CD with Service Pack 1
> slip-streamed in. If recent history is an accurate guide, you'll also get a
> driver & diagnostic CD, a WordPerfect Office CD, an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)
> and a couple of others.
>
> As pre-loaded with software at the factory, the 2400 is not loaded down with a
> lot of junk and demo-ware. If you don't intend to use AOL, remove all traces of
> it from the system. I forget now, but I think there are a couple of other
> relatively useless tidbits which can be removed... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:35:18 -0700, "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:
>
> >I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
> >software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
> >partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?

read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
in the BIOS!!

LOL!!!

> >I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.
> >
> >CaptainKrunch

August 28, 2004 1:00:12 AM

Are you talking LEGALLY or PHYSICALLY.

LEGALLY, you're right, the license is tied to that machine and only that
machine.

PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and ANY
machine requiring activation.

Tom
"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>>>>>>When I
bought my 2400 in February, I actually got a CD that
> read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
> ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
> I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
> in the BIOS!!
>
> LOL!!!

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:00:13 AM

I guess that is what I was asking originally...I wasn't sure what to ask
until I got all the information from everyone off of here. I didn't realize
the cd that came with it was a proprietary Dell type of thing for the most
part.

I just figured if I got the XP pro on my dell with a cd then I could use
that cd to upgrade my 98se on the other computer. It looks as if I can do
that but it will require activation. But if I have a problem with the new
computer running xp pro and have to contact microsoft for some reason then I
could be screwed with the new machine.

I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If you
buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
your home. I was hoping it was the same.

CaptainKrunch

> Are you talking LEGALLY or PHYSICALLY.
>
> LEGALLY, you're right, the license is tied to that machine and only that
> machine.
>
> PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and
ANY
> machine requiring activation.
>
> Tom
> "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>>>>>>When I
> bought my 2400 in February, I actually got a CD that
> > read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
> > ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
> > I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
> > in the BIOS!!
> >
> > LOL!!!

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:39:33 AM

> an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)

<splutter>

Any reason why this is "special" or was that sarcasm and I missed it ?

August 28, 2004 2:39:34 AM

The AOL 9.0 CD is so special that you can pick up one or two or ten at any USPS
post office. They also make good windshield ice scrapers in a pinch, as I found
out last winter when my youngest son borrowed the real ice scraper from my car.
Be careful though! Too much downward pressure on the CD when scraping ice can
cause the CD to shatter and there is nothing worse than shrapnel from a
shattered CD. If that happens, I doubt that you could sue AOL successfully,
altho I'm sure you can find a lawyer who would want to try, because this country
has more lawyers per capita than any other in the world. Ever wonder why US
laws are so damned complex? ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:39:33 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)
>
><splutter>
>
>Any reason why this is "special" or was that sarcasm and I missed it ?
>
>--
>Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
>--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:33:13 AM

"PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and ANY
machine requiring activation." Really, that's not proprietary at all! That's
about as good as it gets.

Other name-brands put the operating system CD image in a hidden partition to be
used to restore the system. Sounds nice and all. No CD to worry about for
anyone. But if the hard drive goes south, the owner is screwed because there is
no way to restore or install Windows on a replacement hard drive.

If you want proprietary, try some of the older "restore" CDs cobbled together to
work only with a specific name-brand BIOS.

Regardless of the medium used to install XP Home, Microsoft is very clear about
the rules: One unique Certificate of Authentication for each computer on which
XP Home (or Pro) is installed. And Microsoft's product activation procedure,
either on line or forever via phone, enforces the rules... Ben Myers

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:54:47 -0700, "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:

>I guess that is what I was asking originally...I wasn't sure what to ask
>until I got all the information from everyone off of here. I didn't realize
>the cd that came with it was a proprietary Dell type of thing for the most
>part.
>
>I just figured if I got the XP pro on my dell with a cd then I could use
>that cd to upgrade my 98se on the other computer. It looks as if I can do
>that but it will require activation. But if I have a problem with the new
>computer running xp pro and have to contact microsoft for some reason then I
>could be screwed with the new machine.
>
>I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If you
>buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
>your home. I was hoping it was the same.
>
>CaptainKrunch
>

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> Are you talking LEGALLY or PHYSICALLY.
>>
>> LEGALLY, you're right, the license is tied to that machine and only that
>> machine.
>>
>> PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and
>ANY
>> machine requiring activation.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>>>>>>When I
>> bought my 2400 in February, I actually got a CD that
>> > read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
>> > ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
>> > I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
>> > in the BIOS!!
>> >
>> > LOL!!!

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 10:47:19 AM

Office no longer says that.

Tom
"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
<snip
> I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If you
> buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
> your home. I was hoping it was the same.
>
> CaptainKrunch

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 11:32:39 AM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:54:47 -0700, CaptainKrunch wrote:

> I guess that is what I was asking originally...I wasn't sure what to ask
> until I got all the information from everyone off of here. I didn't realize
> the cd that came with it was a proprietary Dell type of thing for the most
> part.
>
> I just figured if I got the XP pro on my dell with a cd then I could use
> that cd to upgrade my 98se on the other computer. It looks as if I can do
> that but it will require activation. But if I have a problem with the new
> computer running xp pro and have to contact microsoft for some reason then I
> could be screwed with the new machine.
>
> I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If you
> buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
> your home. I was hoping it was the same.

The way it was explained to me (by someone at Microsoft) was you pay for
the license or CD-key. The medium you use to install the software doesn't
matter.

For example, if I lost my Dell Windows XP Pro CD I could simply install
from a copy of Windows XP Pro I bought for my other desktop so long as I
used the CD-key on the side of my Dell.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:10:49 PM

I guess I was looking at the student/educator version of office....that one
is allowed on up to 3 computers..

> Office no longer says that.
>
> Tom
> "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> <snip
> > I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If
you
> > buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
> > your home. I was hoping it was the same.
> >
> > CaptainKrunch

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 5:06:21 PM

I believe it did with Office XP. Does it still with Office 2003?

>I guess I was looking at the student/educator version of office....that one
> is allowed on up to 3 computers..

>> Office no longer says that.
>>
>> Tom
>> "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
>> <snip
>> > I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If
> you
>> > buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers
>> > in
>> > your home. I was hoping it was the same.
>> >
>> > CaptainKrunch

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 12:16:01 AM

>I believe it did with Office XP. Does it still with Office 2003?
>
> Tom

<snip>

Yes, Tom Office Standard 2003 does (academic). I was reading up on it over
at newegg.com just last week.

Stew
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:09:50 PM

> CaptainKrunchwrote:
I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
> software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
> partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?
>
> I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.
>
> CaptainKrunch

My Dell 4600 came with a hidden partition that is a recovery that will
make the computer like it was out of the factory and a diagnostic
partition. I have the Windows XP and Driver/Software Discs too.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:14:12 PM

the "hidden partition" trick on the '98 and some ME and 2000 systems wasn't
a hidden partition: it was a hidden file written directly to the hard
drive. If you filled the drive over 95% or ran a defrag, you'd obliterate
the hidden file, however, regular partitioning, formatting, and disk usage
would not harm the file as it was at the very "end" of the drive.

I don't think there is such a file on the XP systems, but if there is, it's
news to me.

Depending upon how you bought your Dell system, there would either be an
option to obtain backup software (on CD) or not.

Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
for rates and online chat

- Are dog biscuits made from collie flour?

!