do the new dell 2400's come with cds of XP?

I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?

I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.

CaptainKrunch
14 answers Last reply
More about dell 2400

    All the new Dell 2400's I've seen in the last few months include a CD marked
    "Restore CD", which is simply a Windows XP Home CD with Service Pack 1
    slip-streamed in. If recent history is an accurate guide, you'll also get a
    driver & diagnostic CD, a WordPerfect Office CD, an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)
    and a couple of others.

    As pre-loaded with software at the factory, the 2400 is not loaded down with a
    lot of junk and demo-ware. If you don't intend to use AOL, remove all traces of
    it from the system. I forget now, but I think there are a couple of other
    relatively useless tidbits which can be removed... Ben Myers

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412f235c.2441644@news.charter.net>...
    > All the new Dell 2400's I've seen in the last few months include a CD marked
    > "Restore CD", which is simply a Windows XP Home CD with Service Pack 1
    > slip-streamed in. If recent history is an accurate guide, you'll also get a
    > driver & diagnostic CD, a WordPerfect Office CD, an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)
    > and a couple of others.
    >
    > As pre-loaded with software at the factory, the 2400 is not loaded down with a
    > lot of junk and demo-ware. If you don't intend to use AOL, remove all traces of
    > it from the system. I forget now, but I think there are a couple of other
    > relatively useless tidbits which can be removed... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:35:18 -0700, "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
    > >software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
    > >partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?

    read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
    ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
    I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
    in the BIOS!!

    LOL!!!

    > >I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.
    > >
    > >CaptainKrunch

    Are you talking LEGALLY or PHYSICALLY.

    LEGALLY, you're right, the license is tied to that machine and only that
    machine.

    PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and ANY
    machine requiring activation.

    Tom
    "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>>>>>>When I
    bought my 2400 in February, I actually got a CD that
    > read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
    > ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
    > I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
    > in the BIOS!!
    >
    > LOL!!!

    I guess that is what I was asking originally...I wasn't sure what to ask
    until I got all the information from everyone off of here. I didn't realize
    the cd that came with it was a proprietary Dell type of thing for the most
    part.

    I just figured if I got the XP pro on my dell with a cd then I could use
    that cd to upgrade my 98se on the other computer. It looks as if I can do
    that but it will require activation. But if I have a problem with the new
    computer running xp pro and have to contact microsoft for some reason then I
    could be screwed with the new machine.

    I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If you
    buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
    your home. I was hoping it was the same.

    CaptainKrunch

    > Are you talking LEGALLY or PHYSICALLY.
    >
    > LEGALLY, you're right, the license is tied to that machine and only that
    > machine.
    >
    > PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and
    ANY
    > machine requiring activation.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>>>>>>When I
    > bought my 2400 in February, I actually got a CD that
    > > read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
    > > ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
    > > I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
    > > in the BIOS!!
    > >
    > > LOL!!!

    > an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)

    <splutter>

    Any reason why this is "special" or was that sarcasm and I missed it ?

    The AOL 9.0 CD is so special that you can pick up one or two or ten at any USPS
    post office. They also make good windshield ice scrapers in a pinch, as I found
    out last winter when my youngest son borrowed the real ice scraper from my car.
    Be careful though! Too much downward pressure on the CD when scraping ice can
    cause the CD to shatter and there is nothing worse than shrapnel from a
    shattered CD. If that happens, I doubt that you could sue AOL successfully,
    altho I'm sure you can find a lawyer who would want to try, because this country
    has more lawyers per capita than any other in the world. Ever wonder why US
    laws are so damned complex? ... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:39:33 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >> an AOL 9.0 CD (VERY special!)
    >
    ><splutter>
    >
    >Any reason why this is "special" or was that sarcasm and I missed it ?
    >
    >--
    >Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
    >--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

    "PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and ANY
    machine requiring activation." Really, that's not proprietary at all! That's
    about as good as it gets.

    Other name-brands put the operating system CD image in a hidden partition to be
    used to restore the system. Sounds nice and all. No CD to worry about for
    anyone. But if the hard drive goes south, the owner is screwed because there is
    no way to restore or install Windows on a replacement hard drive.

    If you want proprietary, try some of the older "restore" CDs cobbled together to
    work only with a specific name-brand BIOS.

    Regardless of the medium used to install XP Home, Microsoft is very clear about
    the rules: One unique Certificate of Authentication for each computer on which
    XP Home (or Pro) is installed. And Microsoft's product activation procedure,
    either on line or forever via phone, enforces the rules... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:54:47 -0700, "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:

    >I guess that is what I was asking originally...I wasn't sure what to ask
    >until I got all the information from everyone off of here. I didn't realize
    >the cd that came with it was a proprietary Dell type of thing for the most
    >part.
    >
    >I just figured if I got the XP pro on my dell with a cd then I could use
    >that cd to upgrade my 98se on the other computer. It looks as if I can do
    >that but it will require activation. But if I have a problem with the new
    >computer running xp pro and have to contact microsoft for some reason then I
    >could be screwed with the new machine.
    >
    >I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If you
    >buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
    >your home. I was hoping it was the same.
    >
    >CaptainKrunch
    >

    >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> Are you talking LEGALLY or PHYSICALLY.
    >>
    >> LEGALLY, you're right, the license is tied to that machine and only that
    >> machine.
    >>
    >> PHYSICALLY, it will install on ANY Dell without requiring activation and
    >ANY
    >> machine requiring activation.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message >>>>>>>When I
    >> bought my 2400 in February, I actually got a CD that
    >> > read, "Windows XP Home Edition". what it didn't read was that it can
    >> > ONLY be used on THAT Dell. It won't work on any other PC...period. And
    >> > I question whether any other XP Cd would work on that Dell. It's all
    >> > in the BIOS!!
    >> >
    >> > LOL!!!

    Office no longer says that.

    Tom
    <snip

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:54:47 -0700, CaptainKrunch wrote:

    > I guess that is what I was asking originally...I wasn't sure what to ask
    > until I got all the information from everyone off of here. I didn't realize
    > the cd that came with it was a proprietary Dell type of thing for the most
    > part.
    >
    > I just figured if I got the XP pro on my dell with a cd then I could use
    > that cd to upgrade my 98se on the other computer. It looks as if I can do
    > that but it will require activation. But if I have a problem with the new
    > computer running xp pro and have to contact microsoft for some reason then I
    > could be screwed with the new machine.
    >
    > I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If you
    > buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
    > your home. I was hoping it was the same.

    The way it was explained to me (by someone at Microsoft) was you pay for
    the license or CD-key. The medium you use to install the software doesn't
    matter.

    For example, if I lost my Dell Windows XP Pro CD I could simply install
    from a copy of Windows XP Pro I bought for my other desktop so long as I
    used the CD-key on the side of my Dell.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    I guess I was looking at the student/educator version of office....that one
    is allowed on up to 3 computers..

    > Office no longer says that.
    >
    > Tom
    > "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > <snip
    > > I wasn't sure I needed a separate cd (legally) for each computer. If
    you
    > > buy the MS office it clearly states you can use for up to 3 computers in
    > > your home. I was hoping it was the same.
    > >
    > > CaptainKrunch

    I believe it did with Office XP. Does it still with Office 2003?

    >I believe it did with Office XP. Does it still with Office 2003?
    >
    > Tom

    <snip>

    Yes, Tom Office Standard 2003 does (academic). I was reading up on it over
    at newegg.com just last week.

    Stew

    > CaptainKrunchwrote:
    I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
    > software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
    > partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?
    >
    > I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.
    >
    > CaptainKrunch

    My Dell 4600 came with a hidden partition that is a recovery that will
    make the computer like it was out of the factory and a diagnostic
    partition. I have the Windows XP and Driver/Software Discs too.

    the "hidden partition" trick on the '98 and some ME and 2000 systems wasn't
    a hidden partition: it was a hidden file written directly to the hard
    drive. If you filled the drive over 95% or ran a defrag, you'd obliterate
    the hidden file, however, regular partitioning, formatting, and disk usage
    would not harm the file as it was at the very "end" of the drive.

    I don't think there is such a file on the XP systems, but if there is, it's
    news to me.

    Depending upon how you bought your Dell system, there would either be an
    option to obtain backup software (on CD) or not.

    Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
    for rates and online chat

    - Are dog biscuits made from collie flour?

    "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> CaptainKrunchwrote:
    > I am curios as to whether or not the new computers come with all the
    >> software on disks or simply on a partition? If they only come on a
    >> partition of the hard drive can the CD's be obtained easily?
    >>
    >> I guess I will find out in a week when my new computer arrives.
    >>
    >> CaptainKrunch
    >
    > My Dell 4600 came with a hidden partition that is a recovery that will
    > make the computer like it was out of the factory and a diagnostic
    > partition. I have the Windows XP and Driver/Software Discs too.

Dell Partition Windows XP Computers