Sign in with
Your question

Acer eRecovery won't complete

Last response: in Windows 7
January 19, 2013 2:33:14 PM

Hello Folks,

Please help me. I have an Acer Aspire 5742G laptop and have had on-going problems with the wifi connection (and searching for a solution on the internet, it seems like this is a very common problem with Acer laptops, but Acer doesn't acknowledge it and therefore does nothing about it). Some days it connects instantly, and other days not at all. I've done all the suggested uninstall / re-install options, of the drivers and the card, none of which helped. Acer then suggested that I use the eRecovery. After reading all about it (in the information supplied by Acer on the laptop), I went ahead, choosing the option to first backup my user files, and then restore the system. Unfortunately, though, this is not working.

eRecovery appears to be saving the user files in c:\backup, as stated, then it moves on to the "restore progress", then does the "restoring system", then goes on to "updating system", where it stops at 9%, then says "restore finished", moves on to rebooting the laptop, then "starting windows", then "setup is updating registry settings", then"setup is starting services", then a window pops up "windows could not start the installation process". The only available option is to click "OK". After that, it shows "setup will continue after restarting your computer", then it reboots again, starts windows, then again goes on to "setup is starting services", and then after a while of doing that, a window pops up "the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation". All that this does is to start and do the whole (exactly the same) thing again. It doesn't matter how many times I do it, the result is exactly the same.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to overcome this problem, without losing all my user files. It seems that it is backing up my files first, because I've started the eRecovery 4 times now and, each time it starts, it gives the backup file a name. It started with just c:\backup, then c:\backup1, c:\backup2 and c:\backup3. If I could even copy the backup file to a flash drive, or external HDD, that would be great, but it looks like that's impossible. I've tried all the listed options that come up after pressing F8 during the boot process, and none of those has given any different result. IThe laptop runs Win 7 Home Premium (pre-sinstalled, with no Win disk supplied). I have my desktop PC original Win 7 Ultimate disk. Would I be able to use this to achieve a result?

Hoping for a solution.

Best wishes
Ron
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 3:44:04 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 4:57:49 PM

did you made the rescue disc when you bought that laptop that wiil help to restore the win 7 files and acer app at factory settings .
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 5:13:08 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

Hi Brett,

Thanks very much for your reply and suggestion. One of the problems I have though, is that I can't get into DOS. Even Gwen I choose the option to load in safe mode with command prompt (I can't recall the exact way it's put), it doesn't give me the command prompt, it simply goes on and tries to load Windows.
m
l
January 19, 2013 5:17:25 PM

scout_03 said:
did you made the rescue disc when you bought that laptop that wiil help to restore the win 7 files and acer app at factory settings .

Hi Scout,

Thanks very much for your message. No, unfortunately I didn't do that, as I understood that the Acer eRecovery would do the same thing. Silly me :( 
m
l
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 5:19:47 PM

ronbevan said:
Hi Brett,

Thanks very much for your reply and suggestion. One of the problems I have though, is that I can't get into DOS. Even Gwen I choose the option to load in safe mode with command prompt (I can't recall the exact way it's put), it doesn't give me the command prompt, it simply goes on and tries to load Windows.

You DON'T go into Dos to BOOT FROM HIRENS CD.... you just BOOT from cd...

m
l
April 1, 2013 2:40:43 AM

ronbevan said:
scout_03 said:

Hi Scout,

Thanks very much for your message. No, unfortunately I didn't do that, as I understood that the Acer eRecovery would do the same thing. Silly me :( 

m
l
April 1, 2013 3:03:25 AM

Simple answer, get the windows repair disk off another Acer computer, start the computer up and
press F2 right away, check that the computer is enabled to read the DVD drive first and the F12
menu title is enabled, exit BIOS, press F12 when the choice appears, select the type of recovery and
be patient, installation will go on for hours! If this all doesn't work and you selected wipe disk clean,
then you probably have a hardware problem = not good!
m
l
April 1, 2013 4:20:30 AM

jesse1111 said:
Simple answer, get the windows repair disk off another Acer computer, start the computer up and
press F2 right away, check that the computer is enabled to read the DVD drive first and the F12
menu title is enabled, exit BIOS, press F12 when the choice appears, select the type of recovery and
be patient, installation will go on for hours! If this all doesn't work and you selected wipe disk clean,
then you probably have a hardware problem = not good!

Hi Jesse,
Thanks very much for your offered solution. The problem was eventually resolved, by backing up and reinstalling the software.

Thanks to all in the community for the assistance given.

Best wishes
Ron
m
l
!