highest scoring nethack game

I remember there was a post about some atheist, foodless, pacifist,
extinctionist with an insanely high score. Does anyone have a link to that
YAAP post or any pointers where to find it?

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> I remember there was a post about some atheist, foodless, pacifist,
> extinctionist with an insanely high score. Does anyone have a link to
that
> YAAP post or any pointers where to find it?

As this topic relates to 'highest score' I must ask if your score is
increase for having vairous conducts. I was always under the impression
that it didnt effect the score (though I think it should).

I'd also like to know if anyone has ever done a foodless ascencion, I
just find that crazy (let alone foodless athiest pacifist... hang on
foodless athiest would be impossibe wouldnt it?)

Mark

Ah, ok, those posts (which were very interesting) explain how to get a
foodless athiest, didnt know that polymorphing into your self reset
your hunger level. Once I complete the illiterate athiest ascension Ive
been working on for quite a while (and gone through a few characters),
I'll try tackling one of these monsters (though not highest score, that
isnt what I play nethack for, to use macro programs)

Mark

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/5b82bf2b9aafa806

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/5f1032bb2bb678e6

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/ce027402edf203d5

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/beddbbf83d4a369d

> so foodless pacifist is still free.
>
> Lars

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <Xns963EDBE2AB290heptapodyahoocom@216.196.97.131>,
Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> wrote:

>I remember there was a post about some atheist, foodless, pacifist,
>extinctionist with an insanely high score. Does anyone have a link to that
>YAAP post or any pointers where to find it?

I don't know about the conducts, but score is broken. There have been
several games that ended at precisely 2^31-1, the maximum score possible
before it goes negative (twos-complement signed value, a phenomenon that
probably seems really strange if you don't understand the computer
science behind it.)

So the challenge is to keep your score below half that value (because
ascending will double it), and the real challenge is setting up your end
game so that in the score file, you have *exactly* 2147483647 points.

I think I'd like to go for a zero point ascension instead. The
challenge has equal difficulty. It appears to be "easier" to hit a
specific score by dying than by ascending, since the score calculation
is fairly complicated, and that's risky when you must precisely hit a
certain score.

I think Zadir's score will stand at #1 for a really long time (on the
nethack.alt.org server), but I hope he gets bumped from #1 by someone
who gets the same score, but ascends.

It won't be me. I've been playing an extinctionist, for a loooong game,
and my score is only up to 8 million...

Marky Mark wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>
>>I remember there was a post about some atheist, foodless, pacifist,
>>extinctionist with an insanely high score. Does anyone have a link to
>
> that
>
>>YAAP post or any pointers where to find it?
>

> As this topic relates to 'highest score' I must ask if your score is
> increase for having vairous conducts. I was always under the impression
> that it didnt effect the score (though I think it should).
You are right, the score is in no way affected by your conducts ( though
I also think it should)

> I'd also like to know if anyone has ever done a foodless ascencion, I
> just find that crazy (let alone foodless athiest pacifist... hang on
> foodless athiest would be impossibe wouldnt it?)
>
> Mark
There really are people who manage to do that, and no - foodless atheist
is not impossible, just hard - I think someone will come and tell you
every possible detail about it that you may want to know or not.
For the very impropable event that nobody else does, I will get back to
you.

Chris

Marky Mark wrote:

> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>> I remember there was a post about some atheist, foodless, pacifist,
>> extinctionist with an insanely high score. Does anyone have a link
> that
>> YAAP post or any pointers where to find it?
>
> As this topic relates to 'highest score' I must ask if your score is
> increase for having vairous conducts. I was always under the
> impression that it didnt effect the score (though I think it
> should).
>
> I'd also like to know if anyone has ever done a foodless ascencion,
> I just find that crazy (let alone foodless athiest pacifist... hang
> on foodless athiest would be impossibe wouldnt it?)

No, foodless atheist has been done before. Right now on NAO i have a
foodless, illit, genoless, polyless, polypileless , wishless monk
which has mapped the vibrating sqaure and is ready for the final run.
(except i am not ready since i have 3 potions that i have to identify
somehow and don't have an amulet of unchanging or a ring of poly
control.)

And yes, i broke weaponless with a stupid pick axe accident as usual.

Marky Mark writes:
> Ah, ok, those posts (which were very interesting) explain how to get
> foodless athiest, didnt know that polymorphing into your self reset
> your hunger level. Once I complete the illiterate athiest ascension
Ive
> been working on for quite a while (and gone through a few
characters),
> I'll try tackling one of these monsters (though not highest score,
that
> isnt what I play nethack for, to use macro programs)

Someone was working on a foodless polyselfless atheist for a while. He
eventually planned to get (and succeeded in getting) a horn of plenty
and the PYEC. Then he was going to live on potions. I don't know if
he ever ascended or not though.

P.S. I'm jealous that you got to be married to Liz Stauber in a movie.
I always had a crush on her.

"Igor D. WonderLlama" <WonderLlama_@hotmail.com> writes:

> Someone was working on a foodless polyselfless atheist for a while. He
> eventually planned to get (and succeeded in getting) a horn of plenty
> and the PYEC. Then he was going to live on potions. I don't know if
> he ever ascended or not though.

Yes, there was an `Yet Another Foodless Atheist Polyselfless Survivor
Ascension Post ...without using "You feel like a new man!"' last year:
<s0b_b.226$FF5.43975@petpeeve.ziplink.net>.

-- Johan

james wrote:
> In article <Xns963EDBE2AB290heptapodyahoocom@216.196.97.131>,
> Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I remember there was a post about some atheist, foodless, pacifist,
>>extinctionist with an insanely high score. Does anyone have a link to that
>>YAAP post or any pointers where to find it?
>

> I don't know about the conducts, but score is broken. There have been
> several games that ended at precisely 2^31-1, the maximum score possible
> before it goes negative (twos-complement signed value, a phenomenon that
> probably seems really strange if you don't understand the computer
> science behind it.)
>
> So the challenge is to keep your score below half that value (because
> ascending will double it), and the real challenge is setting up your end
> game so that in the score file, you have *exactly* 2147483647 points.
>
> I think I'd like to go for a zero point ascension instead. The
> challenge has equal difficulty. It appears to be "easier" to hit a
> specific score by dying than by ascending, since the score calculation
> is fairly complicated, and that's risky when you must precisely hit a
> certain score.
>
> I think Zadir's score will stand at #1 for a really long time (on the
> nethack.alt.org server), but I hope he gets bumped from #1 by someone
> who gets the same score, but ascends.
>
> It won't be me. I've been playing an extinctionist, for a loooong game,
> and my score is only up to 8 million...

According to previous posts, the best way to get a really, really,
really, really, really, REALLY high score is not to play extinctionist,
but instead to repeatedly kill one of the Riders on Astral.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/

Lars Kecke wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> > I remember there was a post about some atheist, foodless, pacifist,

> > extinctionist with an insanely high score.
>
> since pacifists usually have a fairly low score, we better split it
up:
> pacifist extinctionist:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/5b82bf2b9aafa806
> foodless atheist:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/5f1032bb2bb678e6

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/ce027402edf203d5
> insanely high score (2^31-1):

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/beddbbf83d4a369d

> so foodless pacifist is still free.
>
> Lars

Thanks for those links... Ive been looking for a link to an illiterate
aithiest ascension (as thats what Im trying for... you dont appreciate
the value of a wand of enlightenment until you try illiterate), and
wouldnt mind reading one to see where Im going wrong.

Thanks,

Mark