killed my first dragon... but died anyway

Hi All,

I was down in the mines, playing a Valk (~8-9 level). I was two levels
below Minetown when I found a level with a poly trap close to the
stairs. I managed to fight (and run) enough to survive for a while, it
looked like I'd killed everything, so I went exploring.

Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).
Right behind it was a bracheawhatsit -- the big elephant thingy. *stomp
stomp stomp* and no more Valkyrie.

That was a shame. I had a +5 longsword, too.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:

> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
> and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
> actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
> which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).

A red dragon in the mines?! - Well done, Keith!

> Right behind it was a bracheawhatsit -- the big elephant thingy. *stomp
> stomp stomp* and no more Valkyrie.

No possibility to escape that beast?

> That was a shame. I had a +5 longsword, too.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:
>>
>> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed
>> back and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red
>> dragon'. I actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never
>> breathed fire on me, which was surprising, and did leave a dragon
>> corpse, not a chameleon).
>
> A red dragon in the mines?! - Well done, Keith!

It was a bit of a shock. First non-baby dragon I've seen.

>> Right behind it was a bracheawhatsit -- the big elephant thingy.
>> *stomp stomp stomp* and no more Valkyrie.
>
> No possibility to escape that beast?

I'm not sure. I think it would've been just a matter of time.

I know it didn't have to kill me right then -- I wasn't burdened (thank
you gauntlets of power), I could've run down the passage. I couldn't
take the stairs, they were both on the other side of it. I had a
mattock, I might have been able to dig down or around.

I didn't have any !o*Healing left. No tport. I had a couple of ?oEarth
but I'd left them in the chest upstairs (dumb, in retrospect -- could've
blocked the hall with them). It occurs to me I had an uncursed smoky
potion, but the odds on that one helping... not great.

It wasn't entirely greed (eating the dragon), I think unless I got
really lucky it was just a matter of time. I didn't leave anything
helpful (except the scrolls) upstairs.

Overall I think I could've put it off, but I was outmatched. I might've
gotten lucky, but I'm pretty sure it would've gotten me anyway.

Heh. It comes to me that running down the stairs might not have helped.
I've got Juiblex down in a bones file a little bit farther down. It got
another promising character -- +6 Mojo, etc.

Keith

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in

> Hi All,
>
> I was down in the mines, playing a Valk (~8-9 level). I was two levels
> below Minetown when I found a level with a poly trap close to the
> stairs. I managed to fight (and run) enough to survive for a while, it
> looked like I'd killed everything, so I went exploring.
>
> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
> and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
> actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
> which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).
> Right behind it was a bracheawhatsit -- the big elephant thingy. *stomp
> stomp stomp* and no more Valkyrie.
>
> That was a shame. I had a +5 longsword, too.
>

> Keith
down too far too quick. I don't go beyond mine town till after sokoban. After
sokoban I'm at least level 12.

chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
>
>> I was down in the mines, playing a Valk (~8-9 level). I was two levels
>> below Minetown when I found a level with a poly trap close to the
>> stairs. I managed to fight (and run) enough to survive for a while, it
>> looked like I'd killed everything, so I went exploring.
>>
>> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
>> and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
>> actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
>> which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).
>> Right behind it was a bracheawhatsit -- the big elephant thingy. *stomp
>> stomp stomp* and no more Valkyrie.
>>
>> That was a shame. I had a +5 longsword, too.
>
> down too far too quick. I don't go beyond mine town till after
> sokoban. After sokoban I'm at least level 12.

It depends how the game goes. I'll usually head to Soko first, maybe
making a run to Minetown if I don't find an altar.

The problem here wasn't my level, so much. I have *never* seen a mature
dragon or brachathingy before. Monsters were jumping on a polytrap;
without that, I wouldn't have had to deal with these monsters.

I'd already been to Soko but buggered up, pushed a boulder too far...
and didn't have a pickaxe or mattock, so went mining (with no particular
joy until after Minetown). I *couldn't* finish Soko without exploring
the mines.

Keith

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Keith Davies wrote:

> I was down in the mines, playing a Valk (~8-9 level). I was two levels
> below Minetown when I found a level with a poly trap close to the
> stairs. I managed to fight (and run) enough to survive for a while, it
> looked like I'd killed everything, so I went exploring.
>
> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
> and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
> actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
> which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).

I once killed a black dragon in the mines, just by applying the standard
Val tactic of hitting it hard until it stops moving, without thinking
about what I was doing. (This let to the uncommon situation that
disintegration-resistance was the first intrinsic I got from eating.) A
definite surprise when I realised /afterwards/ that I killed a totally
out-of-depth dragon.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Philipp Lucas <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Keith Davies wrote:
>
>> I was down in the mines, playing a Valk (~8-9 level). I was two levels
>> below Minetown when I found a level with a poly trap close to the
>> stairs. I managed to fight (and run) enough to survive for a while, it
>> looked like I'd killed everything, so I went exploring.
>>
>> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
>> and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
>> actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
>> which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).
>
> I once killed a black dragon in the mines, just by applying the
> standard Val tactic of hitting it hard until it stops moving, without
> thinking about what I was doing. (This let to the uncommon situation
> that disintegration-resistance was the first intrinsic I got from
> eating.) A definite surprise when I realised /afterwards/ that I
> killed a totally out-of-depth dragon.

That's how I took the red dragon.

With an unenchanted, unskilled mattock. If I'd used my +5 longsword and
expert it would've been better yet (and probably would've helped with
the brachathingy... I should've been able to drop the dragon a couple of
rounds of damage earlier).

Keith

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

> The problem here wasn't my level, so much. I have *never* seen a mature
> dragon or brachathingy before. Monsters were jumping on a polytrap;
> without that, I wouldn't have had to deal with these monsters.
fair enough, that is a hard one to anticipate...

> I'd already been to Soko but buggered up, pushed a boulder too far...
> and didn't have a pickaxe or mattock, so went mining (with no particular
maybe try teleporting rocks next time...

Keith Davies wrote:

> Now, that's not to say you can't teleport objects, but I'm not aware
> that you can do that, but not teleport yourself.

On every non-teleport level, *you* cannot teleport yourself, and
monsters cannot teleport themselves.

There's one exception to this: some monsters may still teleport to the
stairs to heal, and back to you to attack you.

Teleportation is not completely out of the question, though: on these
levels, you may still teleport objects and other creatures.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>On every non-teleport level, *you* cannot teleport yourself, and
>monsters cannot teleport themselves.
>
>There's one exception to this: some monsters may still teleport to the
>stairs to heal, and back to you to attack you.

Or, for that matter, elsewhere in order to seize that which they covet
from others or from the dungeon floor.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> On every non-teleport level, *you* cannot teleport yourself, and
> monsters cannot teleport themselves.

> Teleportation is not completely out of the question, though: on these
> levels, you may still teleport objects and other creatures.

It depresses me to think how many of my characters have died, including
one on Astral, because it never occurred to me that this would be the case.

Atillo

David Tillotson <dave@atillo.com.au> wrote:
>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> On every non-teleport level, *you* cannot teleport yourself, and
>> monsters cannot teleport themselves.
>
>> Teleportation is not completely out of the question, though: on these
>> levels, you may still teleport objects and other creatures.
>
>It depresses me to think how many of my characters have died, including
>one on Astral, because it never occurred to me that this would be the case.

It is important to note that it is (now; in the past it was not) actually
counterproductive to teleport certain particularly potent creatures
residing therein, as it will usually serve only to guarantee their
adjacency to you.

Martin Read wrote:
> David Tillotson <dave@atillo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>>
>>>On every non-teleport level, *you* cannot teleport yourself, and
>>>monsters cannot teleport themselves.
>>
>>>Teleportation is not completely out of the question, though: on these
>>>levels, you may still teleport objects and other creatures.
>>
>>It depresses me to think how many of my characters have died, including
>>one on Astral, because it never occurred to me that this would be the case.
>
> It is important to note that it is (now; in the past it was not) actually
> counterproductive to teleport certain particularly potent creatures
> residing therein, as it will usually serve only to guarantee their
> adjacency to you.

Yes, I am aware of that caveat. Once you've knocked down one of those
creatures, however, teleporting other creatures out of the way is a lot
quicker than killing them, allowing more movement before the ah heck gets
back up again.

Atillo

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:00:19 GMT, Keith Davies
<keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

>Philipp Lucas <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Keith Davies wrote:
>>
>>> I was down in the mines, playing a Valk (~8-9 level). I was two levels
>>> below Minetown when I found a level with a poly trap close to the
>>> stairs. I managed to fight (and run) enough to survive for a while, it
>>> looked like I'd killed everything, so I went exploring.
>>>
>>> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
>>> and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
>>> actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
>>> which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).
>>
>> I once killed a black dragon in the mines, just by applying the
>> standard Val tactic of hitting it hard until it stops moving, without
>> thinking about what I was doing. (This let to the uncommon situation
>> that disintegration-resistance was the first intrinsic I got from
>> eating.) A definite surprise when I realised /afterwards/ that I
>> killed a totally out-of-depth dragon.
>
>That's how I took the red dragon.
>
>With an unenchanted, unskilled mattock. If I'd used my +5 longsword and
>expert it would've been better yet (and probably would've helped with
>the brachathingy... I should've been able to drop the dragon a couple of
>rounds of damage earlier).

If no one's already mentioned it.. dragons don't breath on you if
you're standing right next to them.
--
Geoduck
Want a WinHack tile set that fits the screen?

Geoduck <geoduck42@CUTTHISgmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:00:19 GMT, Keith Davies
><keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>
>>Philipp Lucas <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote:

>>> I once killed a black dragon in the mines, just by applying the
>>> standard Val tactic of hitting it hard until it stops moving, without
>>> thinking about what I was doing. (This let to the uncommon situation
>>> that disintegration-resistance was the first intrinsic I got from
>>> eating.) A definite surprise when I realised /afterwards/ that I
>>> killed a totally out-of-depth dragon.
>>
>>That's how I took the red dragon.
>>
>>With an unenchanted, unskilled mattock. If I'd used my +5 longsword and
>>expert it would've been better yet (and probably would've helped with
>>the brachathingy... I should've been able to drop the dragon a couple of
>>rounds of damage earlier).
>
> If no one's already mentioned it.. dragons don't breath on you if
> you're standing right next to them.

Really? That's interesting. I wonder why that is.

Perhaps because reflection is too likely by then, and if you're right
there there's too great a chance it'll bounce? Or because it does more
damage with normal attacks?

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:
> Geoduck <geoduck42@CUTTHISgmail.com> wrote:

>> If no one's already mentioned it.. dragons don't breath on you if
>> you're standing right next to them.

> Really? That's interesting. I wonder why that is.

> Perhaps because reflection is too likely by then, and if you're right
> there there's too great a chance it'll bounce? Or because it does
> more damage with normal attacks?

They couldn't care less about reflection. All dragons are immune to
their own breath weapon.

--

Keith Davies wrote:
> Geoduck <geoduck42@CUTTHISgmail.com> wrote:

>> If no one's already mentioned it.. dragons don't breath on you if
>> you're standing right next to them.

> Really? That's interesting. I wonder why that is.

> Perhaps because reflection is too likely by then, and if you're right
> there there's too great a chance it'll bounce? Or because it does
> more damage with normal attacks?

They couldn't care less about reflection. All dragons are immune to
their own breath weapon.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:
>>
>> Some ways away from the stairs (down a twisty passage) I was headed back
>> and ran into a red D. Not a baby dragon, it just said 'red dragon'. I
>> actually managed to kill it (*whew*... and it never breathed fire on me,
>> which was surprising, and did leave a dragon corpse, not a chameleon).
>
> A red dragon in the mines?! - Well done, Keith!

I see that red dragon, and top it with - a Silver Dragon and friends.
At about Xp7.
Just below minetown. I was playing with it, getting into the right
position to slowly beat it to death with force bolt/healing/quarterstaff,
(I'd started with the right ring), when a Master Lich turned up.
Now, that was fun.

Of course, I safely made it to the stairs, and was congratulating myself
for that feat when I got confused which "@" I was in minetown, and shot
the priest.
The priest summoned lots of insects, and I battled my way through most of
the level only to die a couple of squares away from the upstairs to a soldier
ant.