YAFAP: Oh lord it feels good

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003

I am not going to bore you all with the details of what was (I
think) a relatively boring ascension. I was chipping away at the
dungeon with a neutral caveman for some time with little luck
(actually, I posted recently about another caveman getting worked
unexpectedly by the Chromatic Dragon- this was 2 cavemen later), when
the ice suddenly broke. I can't remember exactly what happened, but it
involved switching from a +1 club to mojo (didn't find an altar until
about DLVL20). Soon after i found awand of wishing in the VoD.
Suddenly I was sitting on a buttload of wishes. Even better, I found a
lot of my ascention kit just lying around before I even got around to
using the wishes.
By the time I was done I had used 10 wishes, genocided 37 species
and died three times. That being said, I must add that a lot of that
was done on the planes which I reached for the first time this game
(Rodney always got me before- stupid double trouble). I died not once,
not twice but thrice on the plane of air (Archons can be an
indescribable pain for those who have never been there before). On
both the plane of air and the plane of fire I ended up surrounded on
all sides (about 5 layers deep) by badasses. I am playing on a cpu
with a dying monitor so I couldnt even tell the difference between the
little number 3's (fire elementals warning number) and the waves of
lava. I cant really recall how I managed to survive and find the
portals, except that I know it involved very elegant and artful use of
my amulets of life saving- including wishing for new ones as needed- as
well as a desperation genocide of D when I thought there was absolutely
no escape. Only after reading this scroll did I realize that I was
confused (nearly cried when I thougt I lost my first near-ascension so
close to the end). Somehow, it did not send in dragons and the
genocide worked. Any idea why? I will, never, EVER try to go to the
planes wihtout being 100% sure I have a way of finding those portals
first. The astral plane was a comparative breeze, and thus I ascended
to demigod-hood for the first time along with my pet Mastodon (fitting
for a caveman) El Duderino (not into the whole brevity thing).

There you have it- I don't know why I posted, I guess just to let you
all know that there is one more in your ranks. There are many vices in
this world, I am glad Nethack is mine- er, one of mine.

It seems to me that the early game and Gehennom get far more attention
than the planes do- many spoilers and faqs give them just a few lines,
when they deserve pages (probably just my inexperience talking). There
is a demogorgon FAQ butnothing about dealing with Archons. Just
curious...

Eric the Caveman, Demigod

Congrats, how long have you been playing nethack? I had played for 2
years before that lucky game finally happened.

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003

I actually have been playing on and off for ten years- but that is
starting when I was about 12. WHen I began all I would do was drihnk
from every fountain hoping for a wish then run down to minetown to look
for magic lamps and a co-aligned altar. If things went poorly I would
often just quit. Kinda sad actually.

Nathan

Gherkin wrote:

> I cant really recall how I managed to survive and find the
> portals, except that I know it involved very elegant and artful use
> of my amulets of life saving- including wishing for new ones as
> needed- as well as a desperation genocide of D when I thought there
> was absolutely no escape. Only after reading this scroll did I
> realize that I was confused (nearly cried when I thougt I lost my
> first near-ascension so close to the end). Somehow, it did not send
> in dragons and the genocide worked. Any idea why?

You must not have been confused (in-game).

If you read an uncursed scroll of genocide while confused, you
genocide your own role (NEVER do this unless you're polymorphed).

If you read a cursed scroll of genocide while confused, you send in
some of your own role.

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003

I received the message "being confused you misread... yadayadayada."
Does it change anything that it was a blessed scroll?

"Gherkin" <gherkinz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I received the message "being confused you misread... yadayadayada."
>Does it change anything that it was a blessed scroll?

Yes. Blessed scrolls of genocide call do_class_genocide(), which
doesn't care whether you're confused or not; uncursed or cursed scrolls
of genocide call do_genocide() with an argument derived from the scroll's
cursing status and your confusion status.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.