Friday afternoon YANI: Enhanced booze effects

Enhanced booze YANI

As I understand it, drinking a !oBooze will make the player somewhat
confused. Drinking multiple potions in quick succession has little
extra effect. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I've tried that in real
life, and it doesn't seem to work like that. I propose a more familiar
implementation:

-Drinking 1 potion of booze causes confusion. This is the current
implementation.
-Drinking Constitution/3 !oBooze within 100 turns should cause
vomitting (which, according to slashem, can sometimes be a good thing.
Check out the toilet spoilers.) 90% of all maps/spells/identifications
learned between this point and the player finally sobering up (ie, no
longer confused) will be forgotten as soon as the player is sober.
-Drinking Constitution/2 !oBooze in 100 turns should have equal chances
of (a) no further effect until the next potion, when the dice are
rolled again (b) sending the player to sleep until they sober up, or
(c) poisoning.
-Drinking as many potions of booze as one has constitution points
within 100 turns should cause fatal poisoning. This wouldn't happen
often though, because most characters would fall asleep or get killed
by a passing monster long before drinking this much.

Additionally, I imagine some monsters (orcs and dwarves, for instance)
as being particularly partial to a pint, and they should be strongly
tempted to pick up and swig any booze potion they come across. Let's
say, a 75% chance of doing so. A low-level monster would suffer
confusion on the first potion, vomiting on the second (if they drink it
before sobering up from the first), then randomly chosen
poisoning/sleeping/nothing on the third potion and each potion
thereafter.
You could effectively neutralize a hill-orc raiding party simply by
dropping a load of potions and standing well back. =-)
Tougher monsters who drink (Some demons? Giants?) would follow the same
pattern, but would have higher drinking thresholds.

Now come on, this one must be worth somebody's coding time...

dogsc...@eudoramail.com wrote:
<snip>
> You could effectively neutralize a hill-orc raiding party simply by
> dropping a load of potions and standing well back. =-)
<snip>

Made me LOL IRL.

-K

"jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com" <jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com> writes:
> > [ cumulative effects for multiple !oBooze ]
> IMO, best idea in a while.

I don't think this will get merged, so it needs to go in a new
branch of the code.

You can call it Slosh'Em.

Douglas Henke wrote:
> "jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com" <jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com> writes:
> > > [ cumulative effects for multiple !oBooze ]
> > IMO, best idea in a while.
>
> I don't think this will get merged, so it needs to go in a new
> branch of the code.
>
> You can call it Slosh'Em.

Thank you. That's going up on my wall.