Tags:
  • Multimedia
  • Audio
  • MP3
  • Sound Cards
  • Apps
Last response: in Apps General Discussion
December 29, 2002 5:11:39 AM

When I use VirtualDub, the best mp3 quality I can get is merely 56Kbits with 22050mghz. But I've seen videos encoded in higher quality. Is this a sound card issue? Or is there codec that needs to be downloaded?

More about : compress audio mp3 higher quality

June 3, 2012 11:39:05 PM

Or, for free (is it a coincidence that new newcomers seem to push commercial software?), you can use Audacity with the LAME MP3 encoder add-on. I can encode MP3 files at up to 320Kbps with Audacity/LAME.

VirtualDub uses the already provided MP3 support in Windows, and thus is limited to the commercial MP3 software you already have installed. This is from the VirtualDub website:

How come VirtualDub doesn't let me compress into MPEG layer III audio, or only up to 56Kbps?

Audio compression is handled by third-party Windows ACM drivers, not by VirtualDub itself. The MP3 compression driver comes from Fraunhofer-IIS and has a few incarnations, with the filenames L3CODECX.ACM, L3CODECA.ACM, and L3CODECP.ACM. If you don't have any MP3 options, you either don't have the L3 codec installed at all, or have the standard version (L3CODECX). A 56Kbps limit means you have the Advanced version; 128Kbps means you have Professional; 320Kbps means you're using the warez Radium hack.
June 4, 2012 4:27:00 AM

Yes Audacity is the way to go
Related resources
June 4, 2012 7:39:30 PM

My first comments look out of place now that the commercial post was deleted!
January 31, 2013 1:40:43 AM

I just find a step by step guide on how to compress audio WAV, MP3, FLAC, WMA, M4A, AIFF, PCM, OGG, etc. to smaller file size with high audio quality at http://audioconverters.blogspot.com/2012/08/easily-compress-mp3-wav-flac-wma-m4a.html

This guide applies to:

Compress MP3, FLAC, WAV, WMA, M4A, AIFF, MP2, OGG, AC3, RA, AU and etc to smaller file size as well as keep the same audio format.
Compress WAV to MP3, AC3, M4A or AU with almost no loss of audio quality.
Compress FLAC to MP3, M4A or AC3 with high audio quality.
Compress AIFF to M4A, MP3, AC3 and more audio format.
Compress M4A to MP3, WMA, AC3, RA and etc.
Compress WMA to MP3 with smaller file size.
Compress PCM, M4B, MPC, QCP, AMR, AWB, TTA, CUE, APE and etc to MP3.

Hope it helps more or less
September 20, 2014 6:35:43 AM

Based on compression attribute, we classify audio format into three categories: uncompressed, lossless compressed, and lossy compressed.

MP3 is the lossy compressed audio format. To compress it, you'd better to lower the bitrate or sample rate of MP3 file.

Here is a step by step guide on how to lower the bitrate or sample rate of MP3 file to reduce their size.

This guide also applies to compress WAV, AIFF, FLAC, AU, etc.
!