YANI: making pools of water

A little YANI I've thought of during my current tourist:

- Dig a hole
- Put 10 potions of water in it
- zap a wand of striking at them
- get a pool of water ("The water fills the hole.")

Or, with unholy water, a pool of lava ("The unholy water melts the stone.")

Greetings,
Benjamin

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote:
>A little YANI I've thought of during my current tourist:
>
>- Dig a hole
>- Put 10 potions of water in it

Putting any significant number of items into a square containing a hole
takes a great deal of patience.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.

>>- Dig a hole
>>- Put 10 potions of water in it
> Putting any significant number of items into a square containing a hole
> takes a great deal of patience.

Well, obviously you can't throw them in :)

Your Inventory:

Potions
a - 15 potions of holy water
Tools
b - a +0 pick-axe

What do you want to apply [b or ?*] ? b
Where do you want to dig [h>] ? >
You dig a pit into the floor.
What do you want to drop [ab or ?*] ? 10a
You drop 10 potions of holy water.

Where's the patience?

Greetings,
Benjamin

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote:
>What do you want to apply [b or ?*] ? b
>Where do you want to dig [h>] ? >
>You dig a pit into the floor.
>What do you want to drop [ab or ?*] ? 10a
>You drop 10 potions of holy water.
>
>Where's the patience?

That's a pit, not a hole :)

Benjamin Schieder wrote:
> A little YANI I've thought of during my current tourist:
>
> - Dig a hole
> - Put 10 potions of water in it
> - zap a wand of striking at them
> - get a pool of water ("The water fills the hole.")

I love the idea, but the problem is that we know the pool only contains
10 potions' worth of water, but you could fill as many potions from it
as you wanted. OK, nh isn't always logical, but how about some other
way of filling your pit with water? digging the floor out of a pool on
the level above? A rain dance/ spell? Killing a water elemental in the
pit? A magic towel that soaks up water from another source and can then
be wrung out into the new pool?

>>What do you want to apply [b or ?*] ? b
>>Where do you want to dig [h>] ? >
>>You dig a pit into the floor.
>>What do you want to drop [ab or ?*] ? 10a
>>You drop 10 potions of holy water.
>>
>>Where's the patience?
>
> That's a pit, not a hole :)

Oh, yes. Sorry, I meant a pit, obviously :/

dogscoff@eudoramail.com <dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote:

> Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>> A little YANI I've thought of during my current tourist:
>>
>> - Dig a hole
>> - Put 10 potions of water in it
>> - zap a wand of striking at them
>> - get a pool of water ("The water fills the hole.")
>
> I love the idea, but the problem is that we know the pool only
> contains 10 potions' worth of water, but you could fill as many
> potions from it as you wanted. OK, nh isn't always logical, but how
> about some other way of filling your pit with water? digging the floor
> out of a pool on the level above? A rain dance/ spell? Killing a water
> elemental in the pit? A magic towel that soaks up water from another
> source and can then be wrung out into the new pool?

Killing a water elemental in the pit sounds like the best option... if
you can herd the elemental *into* the pit, at least.

Actually, I suppose a case could be made for water elementals *liking*
pits -- water flows downhill, after all.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com <dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote:

> > [suggeste dmethods of filling a pit with water, to make a pool]

> Killing a water elemental in the pit sounds like the best option...
if
> you can herd the elemental *into* the pit, at least.

Yeah, I liked that one best as well.

Now my boy scouting years are a long time behind me, but I seem to
remember from those camping/survival lessons something about making a
still out of a bit of plastic/ tarpaulin and a pit- you use rocks to
stretch the tarp across your pit, then put another rock in the middle
so that the condensation that collects on the underside of the tarp
overnight will collect in the middle and drip into your waiting
container.

I imagine it would take a prohibitively long time to fill a pool in
such a fashion IRL, but perhaps with an oilskin cloak, a handful of
rocks and a few thousand turns, a pit could be filled that way in
nethack.

> I imagine it would take a prohibitively long time to fill a pool in
> such a fashion IRL, but perhaps with an oilskin cloak, a handful of
> rocks and a few thousand turns, a pit could be filled that way in
> nethack.

Well, I've never been a boy scout (not even been in the army, they didn't want
me) but I know the theory and even did it once in my parents' backyard :)

With the high humidity one can expect in a dungeon, I think a few hundred turns
would be fair, though.

But I also like the idea with the water elemental. Same could go for fire
elementals and lava pools.
Hmm... I'm waiting for the weekend :)

Greetings,
blindy

Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>>[dead water elemental in pit=pool]
> But I also like the idea with the water elemental. Same could go for
fire
> elementals and lava pools.

By that logic, earth elementals would fill pits like boulders. (Which
is fine by me.)

carldotcox@gtri.gatech.edu wrote:

> Raisse wrote:
>> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> By that logic, earth elementals would fill pits like boulders. (Which
>>> is fine by me.)
>
>> Or leave a boulder as corpse, like a stone golem leaves a statue and a
>> clay golem a pile of rocks.
>
> mightn't that be bad for sokoban?

Yes, but so are giants, and I've encountered the latter in Sokoban much
more often than E's.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> carefully considered, then mistyped:
> But I also like the idea with the water elemental. Same could go for fire
> elementals and lava pools.

or fire elementals and fire traps. depends on how they die, i suppose.

carl
--
carl cox , reseach scientist , carl{dot}cox@gtri.gatech.edu
GTRI : Georgia Tech Research Institute

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>>>[dead water elemental in pit=pool]
>> But I also like the idea with the water elemental. Same could go for
> fire
>> elementals and lava pools.
>
> By that logic, earth elementals would fill pits like boulders. (Which
> is fine by me.)

Or leave a boulder as corpse, like a stone golem leaves a statue and a
clay golem a pile of rocks.

Of course, fire and air are insubstantial, so they won't leave anything.

Raisse, killed by an air elemental

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> carefully considered, then mistyped:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

>>> But I also like the idea with the water elemental. Same could go for
>> fire
>>> elementals and lava pools.
>>
>> By that logic, earth elementals would fill pits like boulders. (Which
>> is fine by me.)

> Or leave a boulder as corpse, like a stone golem leaves a statue and a
> clay golem a pile of rocks.

mightn't that be bad for sokoban?

carl
--
carl cox , reseach scientist , carl{dot}cox@gtri.gatech.edu
GTRI : Georgia Tech Research Institute
ITTL : Information Technology and Telecommunications Laboratory
CSITD : Computer Science and Information Technology Division

carldotcox@gtri.gatech.edu wrote:

> Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> carefully considered, then
> mistyped:

[earth elemental]

>> Or leave a boulder as corpse, like a stone golem leaves a statue and a
>> clay golem a pile of rocks.
>
> mightn't that be bad for sokoban?

I've never seen an earth elemental in Sokoban; probably because they don't
usually occur that early. If someone puts Sokoban off until high enough
level to encounter earth elementals on so shallow a dungeon level, it's
on their own head, I'd say!

Raisse, killed by an earth elemental

TRENDING THREADS