• Graphics Cards
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
January 19, 2013 4:53:46 PM

hi lately been maxing out my old hp dx2000 mt had two questions
first i tell you my specs i got 1gig ram + 3 256mb of ram
got 3.0ghz celeron pentium 4 250g harddrive just got new pci video card yesterday its a geforce 8400 gs direct x 10.1 512mb got windows 7 32 bit on my computer ok so first question when i installed video card runs great by the way i called tech support he told me im not getting full advantage if my video card he said first replace VGA cord to mointor and video card with i think
hdvi cord and then said i should buy or get 4gig of 3200 i think of ddr3 ram or something and was wondering if i did that what could i expect as far as computer running more smooth and what ever difference in graphics pretty much is there any truth behind what he said

ok 2nd question looked at 4 gig ram on a dx2000 mt found like to threads on google of guys putting in 3200 4 gig ram in there computer but on bios and windows only shows like 3256mb of ram only being available but for some reason this happens on vista and said to fix their problem upgrade to vista 64 bit my question is i got win 7 32bit runs real fast and smooth im wondering will i have that problem and then have to upgrade to win 7 64 bit
to get full 4 gigs of ram didnt find anything about that propblem for win 7 so i dunno maybe one of you guys knows Thanks

More about : bang buck computer

a c 206 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 5:22:33 PM

First of all, I am going to assume that your native language is not English. Pardon me if I misunderstood the main point of what you are saying.
By today's standards, you have a very weak system for modern games (it probably cannot even load some of the newest ones).
Based on the title of your thread, I will also assume that you are not interested, or currently are not able, to completely rebuild your system. If you are, please post your budget, and there is a "sticky" in the New Build forum with a series of questions that will help us choose new parts for you.
The biggest problem is that any money you spent on your current system will be wasted, because nothing you buy will be movable to a new machine. You have only PCI slots, not even AGP, but the modern standard for graphics cards is PCIe. It looks like your RAM is DDR, and modern systems use DDR3. Your system has an IDE connector for hard drives, and everything now is SATA.
Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... might let you play some newer games on their lowest settings, but that money would be better saved and put toward a complete replacement.
m
l
January 19, 2013 5:43:36 PM

well im from massachusetts lol i been playing fallout new vegas and call of duty modern warfare 2 lately on my computer both games run smooth and wonderful they both on xbox 360 too just to give ya an idea of what games im running i ask my two questions again in simplyfied form based on what the video card tech said to me any truth behind getting faster smooth maybe better graphics with doing what he said as buying new hdvi cable to replace my current VGA cable and adding 4 gig of ram???
m
l
Related resources
a c 206 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 6:00:20 PM

A DVI cable may make your video a little sharper, but will not affect performance.
Getting 4GB of RAM will probably make some programs run a little better, but it won't improve FPS. You have 1.75GB now? I really can't recommend spending more money on that system, knowing it is essentially money down the drain.
m
l
January 19, 2013 6:04:45 PM

well for 20 bucks for 4 gigs of ram and hdvi cable on craigslist im really not worried but thanks for the answer :) 
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 6:09:13 PM

For only $20 I'd agree it's probably worthwhile; new prices are much higher.
m
l
January 19, 2013 6:14:16 PM

Well thanks for responding to me and info
Take it easy buddy and goodluck
:) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 6:34:26 PM

If it will accept 4GB, I say go for it. I would check first though. Yes, DVI is a better way to connect your monitor. Onus is right though, you should consider saving for a new build rather than putting much into what you have.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2013 7:10:13 PM

First of all your computer may not have support for 4GB of RAM... certainly not of DDR3 RAM.. Pentium 4 systems had support for up to 2GB of DDR RAM... but to know for sure browse to the http://www.crucial.com/ RAM configurator,

Your video card has three ports... VGA. DVI-I and HDMI.... so it depends on what port your monitor has... if it's only VGA, if it has VGA and DVI or HDMI and if it's VGA and DVI there are different DVI calbes: DVI-A, DVI-I, DVI-D, [both I & D with variations in single and dual link].. so it depends on what type of ports your monitor has, to get the appropriate video cable, even with different DVI conectors or with a conector adapter.

About the 32bit systems not recognizing 4GB of RAM, that's the partial truth... what they don't say is that the difference from 3250MB to 4000MB (3.25GB to 4.00GB) goes to video so nothing is wasted. In any case your system may not support more than 2GB nor can it support 64bit OS... so all this is besides the point... go to the RAM configurator and take it from there.
m
l
!