Can't see files on removed SATA drive attached to desktop.

RemyKaz

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
My laptop recently crapped out, so I removed the HDD and connected it to my desktop. It says that all my files are there based on size, but I can't see/ access all of them. It is a SATA drive, directly connected, everything seems to be working fine, except I cannot find the files it says are there. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It may depend on how it's connected to the computer. Take a look HERE and see if any of these methods help. If not, reply back and we will go from there :)

RemyKaz

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Looks like everything except a few items was set as hidden. Being a windows 8 noob and the seeming lack of a control panel on this OS stumped me for a sec. Found the folder options after a bit of hunting and corrected the problem. Now if I could only repair the laptop the drive came from. :/ I plugged the third party charger into it and there was an audible pop. Local repair store ordered a new jack, two new motherboards, and it still wouldn't power on. It stayed on until the battery ran out though. They seemed to think the next solution would be to replace some or all internal cables. Not sure how much this would run me DIY. Any ideas?

The real question is are you comfortable taking the laptop apart? I wasn't sure if you did the other repairs yourself or not (you didn't say) but if you did then replacing a system board on a laptop is about as invasive as one can get. In all actuality there are fewer cables in a laptop than there are in a desktop depending on the model.

Hi :)

They didnt change the motherboard if it is still running.... its the charging socket on the corner of the motherboard...

Take it to a GOOD laptop repair company, like the ones I own in the UK and they will replace the socket...not cheap though...around 2 hours labour, plus the socket...we charge £109.80...

All the best Brett :)