What would I be happier with?

G

I currantly have a P3 500 with 256 megs of SDRAM and a voodoo3
What would I be happier with?
Athlon 1333 266 FSB with MSI MasterK7 and 256 megs of DDR SDRAM, keeping the voodoo3
OR
Athlon 1300 200 FSB with Asus A7V-133 and 128 megs of PC 133 SDRAM+Geforce2 GTS 64 meg DDR?
Thanks in advance

RCPilot

Champion
I think you'd be happier with the second choice if your a gamer. The Geforce is the GPU that makes you plenty fast on these boards. I wouldn't even touch a Voodoo. I would however put in a newer Geforce. At least a Ultra, but I'd get the Geforce3 myself. I'd also go with the 266FSB. Third, put in 256 megs of ram. It's so cheep, why not?

I built the same system for my son & it flat out rocks & is stable as well. Not overclocked at all.

Athlon T-bird C Chip 266 FSB
Asus A7V KT133a 266FSB
256 SD133 ram
Geforce Ultra 64 meg DDR

G

If you are a gamer, you'll be even happier with:
Athlon 1 ghz 266 fsb, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce2 Pro/ultra, decent sound system.

Gamers dont need anything beyond 1 ghz for now.. If you must, upgrade later, but currently the graphics cards is *the* bottleneck.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
AND, if you get a 1 gig axia- you have an instant upgrade to at least 1200-1300++ if you need it :)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you are a gamer and you will only play at 1024x768 then the second choice is better. If you want to play at higher resolution I recommend buying the best video card you can afford. As others have mentioned, if money is a concern, go with a slower processor and concentrate on the video card, disk drive and CD-ROM for best gaming. Don't neglect a good monitor to make your purchases look their best.

If your main concern is not gaming then your priorities might be different.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your looking on www.pricewatch.com you should be able to find the best prices for all those parts. I'd try and go with anything that has 133 MHz FSB x2. And if your going to get a geforce 2 get at least a Pro, or an Ultra. The regular geforce 2 gts with 64 megs of ram shows almost no difference between the 32 meg versions. My friend just switched his 32 meg with identical 32 meg and notices no difference. You'd be better off buying a 32 meg Geforce 2 pro. And with the DDR system you'll only notice a 10% performance gain over regular PC133 memory so I suggest going with DDR only if you absolutely must have that tiny increase.
If I were you I'd try to go with 1GHz with 266 MHz FSB, A7V133 with 256 megs of PC166 overclocking memory in case you ever decided to overclock a tad and still run you memory at CAS2. Geforce 2 pro, or ultra will go very nice with that combo.

G

If you get a SIS 735 mobo, you might get a 15% increase, or so they say at <A HREF="http://"http://www.socketa.com/reviews/chipsets/sis/735/5.shtml"" target="_new">socketa.com</A>A 15% increase might be worth it.

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

G

Another note: As people have said before, you will be happier with a faster graphics card. Get a 1000 if you have to, just to cut costs. You won't hardly notice 333 megahertz. Also, get a version with the 266 FSB, and an AXIA or AVIA. If you get an AXIA or AVIA, you'll be able to overclock a 1000 by a couple hundred megahertz without spending a dime.

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

TRENDING THREADS