How would I go about formatting the hard drive running windows?

nickprovs

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I feel like my situation is a bit unique. I built my computer without enough left over for windows 7, so I installed it using an old re-installation disk. However, because the Product ID and key was ingenuine, I had to buy a new copy. So I bought a system builder's oem.

How would I go about formatting the current hard drive with windows installed?

Can I boot up from the OEM disk and format the hard drive from there? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Solution

You can either go into the BIOS of the computer (normally done by pressing F2 or DEL) and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD comes first and then reboot with the disk in; or you can press the button that will bring up the...

You can either go into the BIOS of the computer (normally done by pressing F2 or DEL) and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD comes first and then reboot with the disk in; or you can press the button that will bring up the boot menu for your computer (it will usually be on the BIOS Splash screen and is typically F12) and then just choose the CD/DVD drive from the list and you're off.
The rest is self-explanatory.

There is information . HERE about doing the reinstall and what steps to take if you get stuck.

Solution

nickprovs

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
This was the case however, to anyone with the same issue, before you can reformat,

Make sure you have the UEFI boot option disabled in your motherboard bios.

Because for me, when it was booting off that, and not straight off the disc drive, it wouldn't let me format anything.

That is indeed the case with UEFI. I didn't know what type of systemboard you had exactly so I took the generalized approach. Glad you got it working :)