Skill points and humans

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Skill points per level are given by class and Int mod, and humans get
an extra point, but if the Int mod is negative, can it cancel the
extra point due to being human?

Considor Igor the Ignorant, a Human Fighter with an INT of 6 (-2
modifier).

Are his Skill Points (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] +1 [human]) =1
or MAX (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] (=0), 1 [min SP/level]) +1 [human] =2

Another way of looking at it: do humans always get a minimum of 2
Skill Points per level?

"Quentin Stephens" <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid> wrote in message
> Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

That depends on which of the two ways you describe below you've been going
at it.

> Skill points per level are given by class and Int mod, and humans get
> an extra point, but if the Int mod is negative, can it cancel the
> extra point due to being human?

No. Take a close look at items #1 under "Aquiring Skills at 1st Level" and
"Skills at Higher Levels" on page 62 of the PH. Unlike some rules in the
game that leave me scratching my head, the "order of operations" (like in
high school maths) for awarding skill point are very clear.

> Considor Igor the Ignorant, a Human Fighter with an INT of 6 (-2
> modifier).
>
> Are his Skill Points (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] +1 [human]) =1

No. You've messed up the position of your right bracket ")", and thus the
order of operations.

> or MAX (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] (=0), 1 [min SP/level]) +1 [human] =2

Yes. Here your right bracket is in the correct place.

> Another way of looking at it: do humans always get a minimum of 2
> Skill Points per level?

Yes. That extra SP/level is the only racial advantage that humans have. It
is meant to balance them against the special abilities granted the other
races.

--

Argentium Helm

"Argentium Helm" <argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> "Quentin Stephens" <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid> wrote in message
>> Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
>
> That depends on which of the two ways you describe below you've
> been going at it.

<g>

I deliberately didn't say.

>> Another way of looking at it: do humans always get a minimum of
>> 2 Skill Points per level?
>
> Yes. That extra SP/level is the only racial advantage that
> humans have. It is meant to balance them against the special
> abilities granted the other races.

Then I've been doing it right after all. Thank you.

Quentin Stephens wrote:
> Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
>
> Skill points per level are given by class and Int mod, and humans get
> an extra point, but if the Int mod is negative, can it cancel the
> extra point due to being human?
>
> Considor Igor the Ignorant, a Human Fighter with an INT of 6 (-2
> modifier).
>
> Are his Skill Points (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] +1 [human]) =1
> or MAX (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] (=0), 1 [min SP/level]) +1 [human] =2
>
> Another way of looking at it: do humans always get a minimum of 2
> Skill Points per level?

It works as any other bonus thing you get.

For isntance, say that you're an elf and your WIS is 5 (-3) and you have
(among other things) a racial bonus to your Listen skill. You have no
ranks in that skill. Your final score is -1, not +2.

In the case you present, the character gets 2-2+1 or 1 skill points per
level and [(2-2)*4+4] skill points on first level.

--
TP

Taneli Pirinen wrote:

> Quentin Stephens wrote:
> > Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
> >
> > Skill points per level are given by class and Int mod, and humans get
> > an extra point, but if the Int mod is negative, can it cancel the
> > extra point due to being human?
> >
> > Considor Igor the Ignorant, a Human Fighter with an INT of 6 (-2
> > modifier).
> >
> > Are his Skill Points (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] +1 [human]) =1
> > or MAX (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] (=0), 1 [min SP/level]) +1 [human] =2
> >
> > Another way of looking at it: do humans always get a minimum of 2
> > Skill Points per level?
>
> It works as any other bonus thing you get.
>
> For isntance, say that you're an elf and your WIS is 5 (-3) and you have
> (among other things) a racial bonus to your Listen skill. You have no
> ranks in that skill. Your final score is -1, not +2.
>
> In the case you present, the character gets 2-2+1 or 1 skill points per
> level and [(2-2)*4+4] skill points on first level.

Wrong.
Wrong.
WRONG.

A human always gets a minimum of 2 skill points per
level.

-Bluto

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:01:38 GMT, "Argentium Helm"
<argentiumhelm@yahoo.co.uk> scribed into the ether:

>"Quentin Stephens" <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid> wrote in message
>> Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

>> Another way of looking at it: do humans always get a minimum of 2
>> Skill Points per level?
>
>Yes. That extra SP/level is the only racial advantage that humans have. It
>is meant to balance them against the special abilities granted the other
>races.

Err, I suppose if you leave out their ability to multiclass considerably
more freely than other races...

And that pesky bonus feat...

Humans don't get many racial bonuses, but the ones they do get are quite
potent.

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message

<snip!>

> Err, I suppose if you leave out their ability to multiclass considerably
> more freely than other races...
>
> And that pesky bonus feat...
>
> Humans don't get many racial bonuses, but the ones they do get are quite
> potent.

D'oh! Quite right. Completely slipped my aging brain. Thanks.

--

Argentium Helm

"Senator Blutarsky" <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in message

<snip!>

> A human always gets a minimum of 2 skill points per
> level.

And a minimum of 8 skill points at first level.

--

Argentium Helm

Senator Blutarsky wrote:
> Taneli Pirinen wrote:
>
>>Quentin Stephens wrote:
>>
>>>Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
>>>
>>>Skill points per level are given by class and Int mod, and humans get
>>>an extra point, but if the Int mod is negative, can it cancel the
>>>extra point due to being human?
>>>
>>>Considor Igor the Ignorant, a Human Fighter with an INT of 6 (-2
>>>modifier).
>>>
>>>Are his Skill Points (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] +1 [human]) =1
>>>or MAX (2 [Ftr] -2 [INT] (=0), 1 [min SP/level]) +1 [human] =2
>>>
>>>Another way of looking at it: do humans always get a minimum of 2
>>>Skill Points per level?
>>
>>It works as any other bonus thing you get.
>>
>>For isntance, say that you're an elf and your WIS is 5 (-3) and you have
>>(among other things) a racial bonus to your Listen skill. You have no
>>ranks in that skill. Your final score is -1, not +2.
>>
>>In the case you present, the character gets 2-2+1 or 1 skill points per
>>level and [(2-2)*4+4] skill points on first level.
>

> Wrong.
> Wrong.
> WRONG.
>
> A human always gets a minimum of 2 skill points per
> level.

Is that something from the Races of Destiny book or something?

--
TP

"Taneli Pirinen"
<REMOVETHIStaneli.pirinenREMOVETHIS@REMOVETHIShelsinki.fi.invalid>

<snip!>

> Is that something from the Races of Destiny book or something?

Nope. See my reply to Quentin Stephens at the top of this thread and
consult page 62 of your PH.

--

Argentium Helm

TRENDING THREADS