What determines if a missile dissapears after thrown or not.

I'm playing a monk. The only projectile weapon I'm not restricted in is
shurikens. The problem is that they are rare. There are some monsters I
don't like to all anywhere near me, Disenchanters, Mind Flayers, Ls. When
I throw what few shurikens I have a good number disappear. I don't know
if it is when I hit or miss. Does enchantment have anything to do with it?

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

    Mark Healey <die@spammer.die> writes:
    > I'm playing a monk. The only projectile weapon I'm not restricted in is
    > shurikens. The problem is that they are rare. There are some monsters I
    > don't like to all anywhere near me, Disenchanters, Mind Flayers, Ls. When
    > I throw what few shurikens I have a good number disappear. I don't know
    > if it is when I hit or miss. Does enchantment have anything to do with it?

    The base chance of projectile survival is 1/(3 - enchantment +
    erosion), capped at 75%. However, for blessed projectiles there's a
    further saving throw dependent on your luck; with maxed luck, you'll
    almost never lose anything blessed.

    : "Peek-a-boo, I can't see you, everything must be grand; :
    : Boo-ka-pee, you can't see me, as long as I've got me head in t'sand..." :
    : -- Michael Flanders, "The Ostrich" :

    Big J. wrote:

    > "Dylan O'Donnell" <psmithnews@spod-central.org> wrote:
    >>
    >> The base chance of projectile survival is 1/(3 - enchantment +
    >> erosion), capped at 75%. However, for blessed projectiles there's a
    >> further saving throw dependent on your luck; with maxed luck, you'll
    >> almost never lose anything blessed.
    >
    > do you mean 1/(3 + enchantment - erosion)?

    I hope not; that would mean projectiles with higher enchantment would have
    a lower chance of survival.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
    significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
    resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

    "Big J" <ej@wext.org> writes:
    > "Dylan O'Donnell" <psmithnews@spod-central.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > > The base chance of projectile survival is 1/(3 - enchantment +
    > > erosion), capped at 75%. However, for blessed projectiles there's a
    > > further saving throw dependent on your luck; with maxed luck, you'll
    > > almost never lose anything blessed.
    >
    > do you mean 1/(3 + enchantment - erosion)?

    No, I don't. Why do you think that the chance of survival would go
    down at higher enchantments and lesser erosion?

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > I'm playing a monk. The only projectile weapon I'm not restricted in
    is
    > shurikens. The problem is that they are rare. There are some
    monsters I
    > don't like to all anywhere near me, Disenchanters, Mind Flayers, Ls.
    When
    > I throw what few shurikens I have a good number disappear. I don't
    know
    > if it is when I hit or miss. Does enchantment have anything to do
    with it?

    See : 6744cbc1.0310292031.17f57575@posting.google.com

    In short, I did a simulation and got:

    For 10000000 arrows shot: (enchanted at +2 or more and blessed)

    Luck %lost
    -5: 24.88
    -3: 24.89
    0: 18.77
    1: 18.72
    2: 18.74
    3: 12.64
    4: 12.65
    5: 12.64
    6: 6.53
    7: 6.55
    8: 6.55
    9: 0.45
    10: 0.47
    11: 0.47
    12: 0.49
    13: 0.5

    So, the best rate came at 9 luck, but anything above gives you one
    arrow lost per every 200 shot, or so.

    Now, IDHTSIFOM so I don't know if the same formulas apply to shurikens.

    But it sounds like you want to use them in the late game, so blessing
    and enchanting them is a good idea anyway. It's kind of annoying how
    they don't stack once they hit a disenchanter, but other than that, it
    should be useful. Remember that the damage bonus is per-shuriken, and
    you can bless/enchant the stack all in one shot.

    As mentioned before, erosion counts against enchantment. But you
    probably want to proof them anyway if you want to use them on rust
    monsters

Games Video Games