Task Host problem on shutdown.

Siegfriedm

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
Hello. From a couple of days, I've the problem that SOMETIMES (not always), when I shutdown the system, appear the message concerning the system is waiting the closing of Task Host process, but I'm forced to close manually from there, because the waiting is useless.
The message should be this: "1 program still needs to close: (Waiting for) Task Host Window".

It happen only from 7-10 days, and Revo Uninstaller report that in last days I only install some games and these programs:
DivX Pro 6.8.0 VFW
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Microsft XNA Framework

Probably, all programs installed with some game.

How can I do? I tried the exact version of hotfix here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975777/en-us but it doesn't install because it's probably already installed (I have SP1).

I want to avoid to restore an old statut with System Restore. I have Windows 7 x64 with SP1 and latest updates for everything.

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

Usually if its a Task Host Window causing the computer to not shutoff its a result of something thats recently been installed or added to the computer. What kind of external devices are you using with the computer? It could be one of these items causing it to not shut down appropriately.

Siegfriedm

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012

Thanks for the answer. Anyway, I haven't anything in particular as external device. Mouse, keyboard, wireless receiver for pad, router and a printer that is almost always switched off.

Try unplugging all unnecessary devices; except for keyboard, mouse, monitor, power, and see if the issue continues. Surprisingly it could still be the printer causing it to hang unless it's unplugged from the computer completely.

Siegfriedm

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012

I give it a try when happen.

TRENDING THREADS