Am I stuck? Is it hopeless?

Last response: in Video Games
April 26, 2005 4:28:52 PM

I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not been
kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of stuff
had to be left behind. I was exploring ahead of my base camp in the
low 20's, and was just about to go back, do some consolidation and
donation and pick up some items (such as a pickaxe). Instead I fell
through multiple levels and found myself face to face with the Titan on
the Medusa level (did I mention I have no MR?). Oops. He promptly
summoned a cloud of monsters, many of whom could've posed a threat to
me alone. I had no choice but zap my wand of digging and go down.
That was the castle level. Fortunately I had a ring of conflict so was
able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master lich
strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying
once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
discover that I am really STUCK.

I see no way I can cross the water except (possibly) a wand of cold
with an unknown number of charges (probably too few). I have no
potions of gain level and no water walking boots. I even seem to have
no way to break Perseus! My one \ of striking was empty. (Oh, and
even if I could cross the water, the other side still has a Titan, a
MMF, a green slime, and now about 100 gremlins.)

So I don't see how I can go back up. Tackling the castle at this point
I'd have very low chances of survival, but in any case, I may not be
able to get in. Of the many options, all I have is a musical instrument
of sorts (a fire horn) and no idea of the tune.

Here is my equipment list, in the hope that you RGRN gods can find me a
miracle:

"oR
12 daggers, a silver saber, and Cleaver
+2 dwarvish iron help, +0 elven mithril-coast, polished silver shield,
+0 speed boots, +3 iron shoes, +0 elven cloak
food rations, tripe rations, lizards

2 !oH, 1 water, 2 ! of sickness, ! of Speed, 2 un-id'd potions (but not
levitation, EH, FH, or GL)

=oC (now cursed), searching, increase damage, +1 protection, and a
bunch of un id'd ones (but not levitation)

Wands of slow monster, fire, magic missile, cold, speed monster, sleep,
two that make an engraving vanish (I think make invisible and
cancellation), and one that is probably either opening or locking

a fire horn, and a unihorn, magic whistle, key and blindfold

a few gems, an uncursed luckstone

Any brilliant ideas?

Even if I break illiterate conduct to write Elbereth I don't think
it'll save me.

More about : stuck hopeless

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:49:22 PM

anat wrote:

> I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian
> So I don't see how I can go back up. Tackling the castle at this point
> I'd have very low chances of survival, but in any case, I may not be
> able to get in. Of the many options, all I have is a musical instrument
> of sorts (a fire horn) and no idea of the tune.

That's simple enough to figure out by MasterMinding, giving you a nice
insta-kill weapon for all the creatures in the castle foyer (are there any
arch liches in there?), if you don't think you can take them by
conventional means. If you're skilled enough to pull of illiterate, I
don't really see why there's a problem.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:58:06 PM

anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
<snip>
> able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master lich
> strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying

Did you kill the master lich?

> once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
> discover that I am really STUCK.

<snip>
> So I don't see how I can go back up. Tackling the castle at this
point
> I'd have very low chances of survival, but in any case, I may not be
> able to get in. Of the many options, all I have is a musical
instrument
> of sorts (a fire horn) and no idea of the tune.

I don't think you have much option other than to try to get to the
castle wand at this point. You can get in since you have an
instrument. The question is if you can survive. I actually think you
have a pretty good chance, since you have the conflict on.

> Here is my equipment list, in the hope that you RGRN gods can find me
> miracle:
>
> "oR
> 12 daggers, a silver saber, and Cleaver
> +2 dwarvish iron help, +0 elven mithril-coast, polished silver
shield,
> +0 speed boots, +3 iron shoes, +0 elven cloak
> food rations, tripe rations, lizards
>
> 2 !oH, 1 water, 2 ! of sickness, ! of Speed, 2 un-id'd potions (but
not
> levitation, EH, FH, or GL)
>
> =oC (now cursed), searching, increase damage, +1 protection, and a
> bunch of un id'd ones (but not levitation)

Didn't price ID? Your very last hope is to find a polymorph ring, I
think. Prefarably with a poly conrol ring to go with.

> Wands of slow monster, fire, magic missile, cold, speed monster,
sleep,
> two that make an engraving vanish (I think make invisible and
> cancellation), and one that is probably either opening or locking

Vanishing wand could be teleportation. Not that that helps right now
between castle and medusa. Wand of opening can also lower the
drawbridge, I think. In any case, if you decide to go into the castle,
be liberal with all of those charges (maybe except cold). Your goal
here is to get to the castle wand. Everything else pretty much is
disposable.

> a fire horn, and a unihorn, magic whistle, key and blindfold

Again, don't be stingy on the charge on the fire horn if you decide to
assault the castle.

HTH

-K
April 26, 2005 5:00:52 PM

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> anat wrote:
>
> > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian
<snip>

> That's simple enough to figure out by MasterMinding, giving you a
nice
> insta-kill weapon for all the creatures in the castle foyer (are
there any
> arch liches in there?), if you don't think you can take them by
> conventional means. If you're skilled enough to pull of illiterate,
> don't really see why there's a problem.

Well, he does sound pretty skilled (given he's that deep into with
illiterate conduct on), but you never know...illiterate could be the
'role-playing' thing. But yeah, if he can get to the castle with the
conduct, especially with the conflict on, I think the castle is pretty
doable.

-K
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:26:29 PM

Thanks. I've never done the MasterMinding before (except IRL), always
having had something easier at my disposal. Do the attempts use up
instrument charges? Nor have I ever used a drawbridge as a weapon. I
guess this makes the game more exciting. So far I'm only skilled
enough to TRY illiterate, whether I'm skilled enough to pull it off
remains to be seen. The vast majority of my literate characters die.
I've ascended three so far, and I just wanted to shake things up a bit.

Only a bit into the game did it hit me that one of the ramifications
was an inability to recharge the castle wand. And there is SO much
that I'm missing in this game (and I haven't gotten any wishes yet).
Usually I have almost everything I want by the time I reach the castle.
I should've played a neutral character, then I could've wished for the
PYEC, I suppose.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:35:05 PM

anat wrote:

> Thanks. I've never done the MasterMinding before (except IRL), always
> having had something easier at my disposal. Do the attempts use up
> instrument charges?

No. Just say 'n' when it asks if you want to improvise. With even a
simple algorithm you should be able to do it in 16 turns or less.

> Nor have I ever used a drawbridge as a weapon. I guess this makes the
> game more exciting.

It's certainly fun!
"You hear smashing and crushing".

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:45:49 PM

Kremti wrote:
> anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
> <snip>
> > able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master
lich
> > strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying
>
> Did you kill the master lich?

Yes. Or just helped the other monsters to kill it.

> I don't think you have much option other than to try to get to the
> castle wand at this point. You can get in since you have an
> instrument. The question is if you can survive. I actually think
you
> have a pretty good chance, since you have the conflict on.

Really? My HP is only around 100 and my AC is abysmal (I think -5 with
the speed boots or -8 with the iron shoes). But you're right, I don't
see another choice.

> > =oC (now cursed), searching, increase damage, +1 protection, and a
> > bunch of un id'd ones (but not levitation)
>
> Didn't price ID?

Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring stores),
back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than normal. Why
was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a creature at the
time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had any gold at that point?

Going back there and trying again was one of the items on my list
before I fell down the rabbit hole. There has been exactly one shop (a
potion shop around Dlvl 20) outside of minetown in this entire dungeon.
Grrr.

> Your very last hope is to find a polymorph ring, I
> think. Prefarably with a poly conrol ring to go with.

Okay, I should test my rings for that. It'll take a while but I think I
have enough food.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:49:20 PM

anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks. I've never done the MasterMinding before (except IRL),
always
> having had something easier at my disposal. Do the attempts use up
> instrument charges? Nor have I ever used a drawbridge as a weapon.

When you a)pply the instrument, you say n)o to improvise. That will
let you make a precise series of tune without using any of its charges.
If you improvise, your horn of fire shoots the fire (and use up the
charge).

> guess this makes the game more exciting. So far I'm only skilled
> enough to TRY illiterate, whether I'm skilled enough to pull it off
> remains to be seen. The vast majority of my literate characters die.
> I've ascended three so far, and I just wanted to shake things up a
bit.

> Only a bit into the game did it hit me that one of the ramifications
> was an inability to recharge the castle wand. And there is SO much
> that I'm missing in this game (and I haven't gotten any wishes yet).
> Usually I have almost everything I want by the time I reach the
castle.
> I should've played a neutral character, then I could've wished for
the
> PYEC, I suppose.

I think the lack of any handy bag is also making things pretty
uncomfortable (I suspect trying to do price ID is a big pain in the
butt without). Also, I suspect you didn't run into a nice phat bone
pile. Sometimes you run into a bone pile and you end up with almost
complete ascention kit without any work...

-K
April 26, 2005 6:43:04 PM

Kremti wrote:
> I think the lack of any handy bag is also making things pretty
> uncomfortable (I suspect trying to do price ID is a big pain in the
> butt without).

I'm curious about this. What does a bag have to do with price ID?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:03:27 PM

Nathan wrote:
> Kremti wrote:
> > I think the lack of any handy bag is also making things pretty
> > uncomfortable (I suspect trying to do price ID is a big pain in the
> > butt without).
>
> I'm curious about this. What does a bag have to do with price ID?

He's running an illeterate and no bag. It's a pain in the butt to haul
your stuff when you are getting burdened quickly without bag of
holding, and can't carry more than 52 items because you don't have a
bag?

-K
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:31:08 PM

anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, ... I survived (praying
> once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
> discover that I am really STUCK.

Okay! We have one castle wand. Now what?

As you can see from my equipment list in the original post, I'm missing
a whole lotta stuff. No decent armor (except for +0 speed boots, and
in fact much of the armor listed in that post has now been
disintegrated), no bag of holding, no means of levitation, no magic
resistance, teleportitis with no TC. This has possibly been the
stingiest the RNG has ever been to me. (only one shop outside
minetown, not even one bones.)

Oh, and no way to recharge the castle wand either... If I were neutral
I could ask for the PYEC, but I won't be able to use it, right? It's
not really worth trying for a PYEC and a helm of opposite alignment, is
it?
Alternatively, I would start on GDSM, ring of levitation (unless
Perseus has the boots, I'll check first), BOH, gloves of power, a
decent cloak, and just see where I run out of wishes. That sound
right?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:43:56 PM

Shadow wrote:

> Stop right there.
>
> Hmm... Isn't it possible to wrest one last charge out of a wand? It's

> usually done with wands of wishing, since most other wands are useful

> only if used quickly, but in your case, you could wrest that last
charge
> out of your empty wand of striking to get at the Perseus statue?

You're right! Now why didn't I think of that, I wonder?

In any case, I've been to the castle and obtained a fresh wand of
striking there. And guess what? No boots. Why am I not surprised?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:35:40 AM

anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not been
> kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of stuff
> had to be left behind. I was exploring ahead of my base camp in the
> low 20's, and was just about to go back, do some consolidation and
> donation and pick up some items (such as a pickaxe). Instead I fell
> through multiple levels and found myself face to face with the Titan on
> the Medusa level (did I mention I have no MR?). Oops. He promptly
> summoned a cloud of monsters, many of whom could've posed a threat to
> me alone. I had no choice but zap my wand of digging and go down.
> That was the castle level. Fortunately I had a ring of conflict so was
> able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master lich
> strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying
> once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
> discover that I am really STUCK.
>
> I see no way I can cross the water except (possibly) a wand of cold
> with an unknown number of charges (probably too few). I have no
> potions of gain level and no water walking boots. I even seem to have
> no way to break Perseus! My one \ of striking was empty. (Oh, and
> even if I could cross the water, the other side still has a Titan, a
> MMF, a green slime, and now about 100 gremlins.)

Stop right there.

Hmm... Isn't it possible to wrest one last charge out of a wand? It's
usually done with wands of wishing, since most other wands are useful
only if used quickly, but in your case, you could wrest that last charge
out of your empty wand of striking to get at the Perseus statue?

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow aka The Shadows of Time aka Zarel aka...
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:41:54 AM

anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
<snip>

> Oh, and no way to recharge the castle wand either... If I were
neutral
> I could ask for the PYEC, but I won't be able to use it, right? It's
> not really worth trying for a PYEC and a helm of opposite alignment,
is
> it?

You are right. If you are not Neutral, you won't be able to use it.
Or, rather, you won't be able to have it in your inventory. And no,
it's not worth it. You can't even do it with the helm of opposite
alignment since opposite alignment means you can never be neutral with
the helm.

> Alternatively, I would start on GDSM, ring of levitation (unless
> Perseus has the boots, I'll check first), BOH, gloves of power, a
> decent cloak, and just see where I run out of wishes. That sound
> right?

About right, yeah.

-K
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:51:18 PM

anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
> anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, ... I survived (praying
>>once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
>>discover that I am really STUCK.
>>

> Okay! We have one castle wand. Now what?
>
> As you can see from my equipment list in the original post, I'm missing
> a whole lotta stuff. No decent armor (except for +0 speed boots, and
> in fact much of the armor listed in that post has now been
> disintegrated), no bag of holding, no means of levitation, no magic
> resistance, teleportitis with no TC. This has possibly been the
> stingiest the RNG has ever been to me. (only one shop outside
> minetown, not even one bones.)
>
> Oh, and no way to recharge the castle wand either... If I were neutral
> I could ask for the PYEC, but I won't be able to use it, right? It's
> not really worth trying for a PYEC and a helm of opposite alignment, is
> it?
> Alternatively, I would start on GDSM, ring of levitation (unless
> Perseus has the boots, I'll check first), BOH, gloves of power, a
> decent cloak, and just see where I run out of wishes. That sound
> right?

Hmm... Isn't it possible to wrest one last charge out of a wand? It's
usually done with wands of wishing, since most other wands are useful
only if used quickly, but in your case, you could wrest that last charge
out of your uncharged wand of striking to break Perseus's statue, and
have a chance at levitation boots.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow aka The Shadows of Time aka Zarel aka...
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:33:00 AM

chuck wrote:
> anat622@hotmail.com wrote in
>
> > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not
been
> > kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of
stuff
> > had to be left behind.
> why don't you use chests (I assume you can wield an edged weapon...)

I think he's still gonna have problem 'consolidating' those piles in a
big stash without the bags to let him carry lotsa things at once. So
he probaby ended up with multiple chest/box mini-stash lying around
throughout the dungeon.

-K
April 28, 2005 6:22:58 AM

anat622@hotmail.com wrote in

> I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not been
> kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of stuff
> had to be left behind.
why don't you use chests (I assume you can wield an edged weapon...)
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:14:31 AM

The RNG' s extreme stinginess continued. The castle wand was only at
0:1. I got my GDSM, and before spending my last wish on a ring of
levitation, I put on the one new ring I recently found to make sure it
wasn't it. It wasn't, and was cursed. So (no choice) I asked for the
ring. Now I had nothing to do but wait for my prayer timeout to
expire -- cursed rings on both fingers, and no way to proceed without
using levitation. A few hundred turns later -- poof! -- I turn into
a gray dragon. Oh, so that's what that ring was. Okay, I can live
with that, unless -- oh no --

"You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
"Your skin returns to its normal form."
"You break out of your armor!"

I'm sitting looking at the screen in shock. I know, I know -- I
should've counted on that ring being polymorph and not put my suit on
until I was able to remove it. That was very likely my one chance of
getting magic resistance in this game. I know, there's always a
chance that there'll be another WoW just lying around in Gehennom, and
oh, there are still a few fountains around that I haven't quaffed, and
I saw one single smoky potion in the potion shop, but with the way the
RNG has been to me this game, all this strikes me as a very small
chance.

Well, it's been an interesting game. I think I'll go let that Titan
stomp on me now and put me out of my misery.

Yah, I should probably first check whether one of my un-id'd rings
happens to be poly control. Let's see, is there anything I can turn
into that has intrinsic MR?
April 29, 2005 5:12:22 AM

> I think he's still gonna have problem 'consolidating' those piles in a
> big stash without the bags to let him carry lotsa things at once. So
> he probaby ended up with multiple chest/box mini-stash lying around
> throughout the dungeon.
except that he explictly only mentions bags/sacks which led me to think that
he just ran across chests he couldn't open (or wouldn't due to traps).
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:39:42 AM

anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
> So (no choice) I asked for the ring. [of levitation]

What's wrong with Boots of Lev?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:43:33 AM

On 28 Apr 2005 21:14:31 -0700, anat622@hotmail.com drained his beer,
leaned back in the rec.games.roguelike.nethack beanbag and drunkenly
proclaimed the following

>The RNG' s extreme stinginess continued. The castle wand was only at
>0:1. I got my GDSM, and before spending my last wish on a ring of
>levitation, I put on the one new ring I recently found to make sure it
>wasn't it.

The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.
--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:46:12 AM

lmfback wrote:
<snip>
> P.S. And yes, I did wonder if he charged the wand or not. Illiterate
> also made me think of wishing for the PYEC. And so forth thinking
> commences until I disappear in a poof of smoke.

He also pondered that point also, but he also indicated he wasn't
neurtal, so PYEC is out of his reach.

-K
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:47:40 AM

anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
<snip>
> > Didn't price ID?
>
> Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring
stores),
> back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than normal.
Why
> was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a creature at the
> time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had any gold at that
point?

Oh yeah, I was gonna say, it's b). You get 45% of the value of item in
store credit, if I remember correctly.

-K
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:59:06 AM

Douglas Berry wrote:
> The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
> already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.

His first post specified that he was playing illiterate.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

> "You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
> "Your skin returns to its normal form."
> "You break out of your armor!"

Enlighten me, please - anytime I am wearing *DSM I always, without
fail, turn into the type of dragon it is from, so it is impossible for
me to ever ruin *DSM by polying. You just wait to poly back and there
you go. Ruins your cloak, for sure, but generally it is not a disaster
and can be a lot of fun esp. if you are female. Is my experience one
giant fluke?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:49:38 AM

Spook wrote:
> > "You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
> > "Your skin returns to its normal form."
> > "You break out of your armor!"
>
> Enlighten me, please - anytime I am wearing *DSM I always, without
> fail, turn into the type of dragon it is from, so it is impossible
for
> me to ever ruin *DSM by polying. You just wait to poly back and
there
> you go. Ruins your cloak, for sure, but generally it is not a
disaster
> and can be a lot of fun esp. if you are female. Is my experience one
> giant fluke?

The problem was that because of the ring he polyed *while* he was a
grey dragon. This happens pretty much only when you have a ring on,
since you can't control when the next polymorph happens. It's more
like that his experience was sort of fluke.

-K
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:45:31 PM

chuck wrote:
>>I think he's still gonna have problem 'consolidating' those piles in a
>>big stash without the bags to let him carry lotsa things at once. So
>>he probaby ended up with multiple chest/box mini-stash lying around
>>throughout the dungeon.
>
> except that he explictly only mentions bags/sacks

of course, have you ever tried carrying a box around? they are heavy
(3500 gp equivalent), chests are even worse. So withoud bags you are
either limited to 52 items or to very light stuff.

Lars
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:15:50 PM

In article <_Wkce.8844$Yc.3055@trnddc06>, jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com
says...
> Douglas Berry wrote:
> > The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
> > already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.
>
> His first post specified that he was playing illiterate.

;-)

IMHO "always" is a word that should be removed from the dictionary...

Eskimo

P.S. And yes, I did wonder if he charged the wand or not. Illiterate
also made me think of wishing for the PYEC. And so forth thinking
commences until I disappear in a poof of smoke.

--
//------------------------------
//Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Kremti wrote:
> > anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >> Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring
> >> stores), back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than
> >> normal. Why was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a
> >> creature at the time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had
any
> >> gold at that point?
<snip>
> I don't think it's b. If it was, the OP would have got the message
> "Asidonhopo cannot pay you at present. Will you accept xxx in credit
> instead?". The OP wouldn't have been offered lower prices in general.
>
> The only reason I can think of is a very low charisma.

If I remember collectly, charisma doesn't affect the buying price
(That, I mean, player selling and the shopkeeper buying) at all. I
religiously empty the shopkeepers' pockets since I run quasi-protection
racket all the time, and this always happens:

1. They still have plenty of cash, and they buy stuff at the half
value.

2. They have cash, but not enough to pay for the half value. They
offer all the cash they have, and the message says something to the
effect of "TheShopkeeper offers *only* xxx amount for your yyy" (the
emphasis on the word "only" mine). That tells me the shopkeeper now
has only that much cash in his pocket.

3. From there, the shopkeeper offers only 45% of the value of the items
in credits.

So I assumed what was happening was case #3, although it could be case
#2 as well. Either case, the shopkeeper has almost (or completely) run
out of cash.

-K
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:42:33 PM

Spook wrote:
>>"You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
>>"Your skin returns to its normal form."
>>"You break out of your armor!"
>
> Enlighten me, please - anytime I am wearing *DSM I always, without
> fail, turn into the type of dragon it is from, so it is impossible for
> me to ever ruin *DSM by polying.

Then poly again once you are a dragon. Normal polymorph rules will apply.

Lars
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:57:24 PM

On 2005-04-26, anat622@hotmail.com <anat622@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Wands of slow monster, fire, magic missile, cold, speed monster, sleep,
> two that make an engraving vanish (I think make invisible and
> cancellation), and one that is probably either opening or locking

Hm. /oC can help a lot against monsters with special abilities and
it is also useful if you want to wear items that are currently cursed,
uncharged and not worn.
Maybe zapping the Titan with the wand makes the job a bit easier?
Not sure if a Titan resists Cancelation, tough. /oC sure helps with Nymphs.

regards Christian

--
THAT'S ALL FOLKS!
April 29, 2005 9:15:41 PM

Lars Kecke <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in

> of course, have you ever tried carrying a box around? they are heavy
> (3500 gp equivalent), chests are even worse. So withoud bags you are
> either limited to 52 items or to very light stuff.
I never carry that quantity of stuff arround anyway, I set a chest every 5
levels (excepting the mines) and then ferry between when I want to id stuff.
I place one at the top of the mines and use it to hold the bulk of my stuff.
If I get far enough, I set one there for id'd stuff and a third for cursed
stuff. I never (except for ferrying) carry more than burdened, and rarely
carry a sack unless I have potions that I worry about. I carry money on my
person (rarely excepting when going to stores) as leps are not much trouble
when you get the nack, but magical explosions are a b****.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:50:55 AM

Kremti wrote:
> anat622@hotmail.com wrote:

>> Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring
>> stores), back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than
>> normal. Why was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a
>> creature at the time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had any
>> gold at that point?

> Oh yeah, I was gonna say, it's b). You get 45% of the value of item
> in store credit, if I remember correctly.

I don't think it's b. If it was, the OP would have got the message
"Asidonhopo cannot pay you at present. Will you accept xxx in credit
instead?". The OP wouldn't have been offered lower prices in general.

The only reason I can think of is a very low charisma.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

April 30, 2005 2:39:02 AM

On 4/29/05 2:43 AM, Douglas Berry wrote:

> The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
> already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.

If you're a wizard with high luck and at least a few blank or blankable
scrolls, a magic marker would make more sense.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."
!