Am I stuck? Is it hopeless?

I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not been
kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of stuff
had to be left behind. I was exploring ahead of my base camp in the
low 20's, and was just about to go back, do some consolidation and
donation and pick up some items (such as a pickaxe). Instead I fell
through multiple levels and found myself face to face with the Titan on
the Medusa level (did I mention I have no MR?). Oops. He promptly
summoned a cloud of monsters, many of whom could've posed a threat to
me alone. I had no choice but zap my wand of digging and go down.
That was the castle level. Fortunately I had a ring of conflict so was
able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master lich
strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying
once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
discover that I am really STUCK.

I see no way I can cross the water except (possibly) a wand of cold
with an unknown number of charges (probably too few). I have no
potions of gain level and no water walking boots. I even seem to have
no way to break Perseus! My one \ of striking was empty. (Oh, and
even if I could cross the water, the other side still has a Titan, a
MMF, a green slime, and now about 100 gremlins.)

So I don't see how I can go back up. Tackling the castle at this point
I'd have very low chances of survival, but in any case, I may not be
able to get in. Of the many options, all I have is a musical instrument
of sorts (a fire horn) and no idea of the tune.

Here is my equipment list, in the hope that you RGRN gods can find me a
miracle:

"oR
12 daggers, a silver saber, and Cleaver
+2 dwarvish iron help, +0 elven mithril-coast, polished silver shield,
+0 speed boots, +3 iron shoes, +0 elven cloak
food rations, tripe rations, lizards

2 !oH, 1 water, 2 ! of sickness, ! of Speed, 2 un-id'd potions (but not
levitation, EH, FH, or GL)

=oC (now cursed), searching, increase damage, +1 protection, and a
bunch of un id'd ones (but not levitation)

Wands of slow monster, fire, magic missile, cold, speed monster, sleep,
two that make an engraving vanish (I think make invisible and
cancellation), and one that is probably either opening or locking

a fire horn, and a unihorn, magic whistle, key and blindfold

a few gems, an uncursed luckstone

Any brilliant ideas?

Even if I break illiterate conduct to write Elbereth I don't think
it'll save me.
33 answers Last reply
More about stuck hopeless

    anat wrote:

    > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian
    > So I don't see how I can go back up. Tackling the castle at this point
    > I'd have very low chances of survival, but in any case, I may not be
    > able to get in. Of the many options, all I have is a musical instrument
    > of sorts (a fire horn) and no idea of the tune.

    That's simple enough to figure out by MasterMinding, giving you a nice
    insta-kill weapon for all the creatures in the castle foyer (are there any
    arch liches in there?), if you don't think you can take them by
    conventional means. If you're skilled enough to pull of illiterate, I
    don't really see why there's a problem.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
    significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
    resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

    anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
    <snip>
    > able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master lich
    > strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying

    Did you kill the master lich?

    > once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
    > discover that I am really STUCK.

    <snip>
    > So I don't see how I can go back up. Tackling the castle at this
    point
    > I'd have very low chances of survival, but in any case, I may not be
    > able to get in. Of the many options, all I have is a musical
    instrument
    > of sorts (a fire horn) and no idea of the tune.

    I don't think you have much option other than to try to get to the
    castle wand at this point. You can get in since you have an
    instrument. The question is if you can survive. I actually think you
    have a pretty good chance, since you have the conflict on.

    > Here is my equipment list, in the hope that you RGRN gods can find me
    > miracle:
    >
    > "oR
    > 12 daggers, a silver saber, and Cleaver
    > +2 dwarvish iron help, +0 elven mithril-coast, polished silver
    shield,
    > +0 speed boots, +3 iron shoes, +0 elven cloak
    > food rations, tripe rations, lizards
    >
    > 2 !oH, 1 water, 2 ! of sickness, ! of Speed, 2 un-id'd potions (but
    not
    > levitation, EH, FH, or GL)
    >
    > =oC (now cursed), searching, increase damage, +1 protection, and a
    > bunch of un id'd ones (but not levitation)

    Didn't price ID? Your very last hope is to find a polymorph ring, I
    think. Prefarably with a poly conrol ring to go with.

    > Wands of slow monster, fire, magic missile, cold, speed monster,
    sleep,
    > two that make an engraving vanish (I think make invisible and
    > cancellation), and one that is probably either opening or locking

    Vanishing wand could be teleportation. Not that that helps right now
    between castle and medusa. Wand of opening can also lower the
    drawbridge, I think. In any case, if you decide to go into the castle,
    be liberal with all of those charges (maybe except cold). Your goal
    here is to get to the castle wand. Everything else pretty much is
    disposable.

    > a fire horn, and a unihorn, magic whistle, key and blindfold

    Again, don't be stingy on the charge on the fire horn if you decide to
    assault the castle.

    HTH

    -K

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    > anat wrote:
    >
    > > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian
    <snip>

    > That's simple enough to figure out by MasterMinding, giving you a
    nice
    > insta-kill weapon for all the creatures in the castle foyer (are
    there any
    > arch liches in there?), if you don't think you can take them by
    > conventional means. If you're skilled enough to pull of illiterate,
    > don't really see why there's a problem.

    Well, he does sound pretty skilled (given he's that deep into with
    illiterate conduct on), but you never know...illiterate could be the
    'role-playing' thing. But yeah, if he can get to the castle with the
    conduct, especially with the conflict on, I think the castle is pretty
    doable.

    -K

    Thanks. I've never done the MasterMinding before (except IRL), always
    having had something easier at my disposal. Do the attempts use up
    instrument charges? Nor have I ever used a drawbridge as a weapon. I
    guess this makes the game more exciting. So far I'm only skilled
    enough to TRY illiterate, whether I'm skilled enough to pull it off
    remains to be seen. The vast majority of my literate characters die.
    I've ascended three so far, and I just wanted to shake things up a bit.

    Only a bit into the game did it hit me that one of the ramifications
    was an inability to recharge the castle wand. And there is SO much
    that I'm missing in this game (and I haven't gotten any wishes yet).
    Usually I have almost everything I want by the time I reach the castle.
    I should've played a neutral character, then I could've wished for the
    PYEC, I suppose.

    anat wrote:

    > Thanks. I've never done the MasterMinding before (except IRL), always
    > having had something easier at my disposal. Do the attempts use up
    > instrument charges?

    No. Just say 'n' when it asks if you want to improvise. With even a
    simple algorithm you should be able to do it in 16 turns or less.

    > Nor have I ever used a drawbridge as a weapon. I guess this makes the
    > game more exciting.

    It's certainly fun!
    "You hear smashing and crushing".

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
    significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
    resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kremti wrote:
    > anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master
    lich
    > > strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying
    >
    > Did you kill the master lich?

    Yes. Or just helped the other monsters to kill it.

    > I don't think you have much option other than to try to get to the
    > castle wand at this point. You can get in since you have an
    > instrument. The question is if you can survive. I actually think
    you
    > have a pretty good chance, since you have the conflict on.

    Really? My HP is only around 100 and my AC is abysmal (I think -5 with
    the speed boots or -8 with the iron shoes). But you're right, I don't
    see another choice.

    > > =oC (now cursed), searching, increase damage, +1 protection, and a
    > > bunch of un id'd ones (but not levitation)
    >
    > Didn't price ID?

    Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring stores),
    back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than normal. Why
    was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a creature at the
    time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had any gold at that point?

    Going back there and trying again was one of the items on my list
    before I fell down the rabbit hole. There has been exactly one shop (a
    potion shop around Dlvl 20) outside of minetown in this entire dungeon.
    Grrr.

    > Your very last hope is to find a polymorph ring, I
    > think. Prefarably with a poly conrol ring to go with.

    Okay, I should test my rings for that. It'll take a while but I think I
    have enough food.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks. I've never done the MasterMinding before (except IRL),
    always
    > having had something easier at my disposal. Do the attempts use up
    > instrument charges? Nor have I ever used a drawbridge as a weapon.

    When you a)pply the instrument, you say n)o to improvise. That will
    let you make a precise series of tune without using any of its charges.
    If you improvise, your horn of fire shoots the fire (and use up the
    charge).

    > guess this makes the game more exciting. So far I'm only skilled
    > enough to TRY illiterate, whether I'm skilled enough to pull it off
    > remains to be seen. The vast majority of my literate characters die.
    > I've ascended three so far, and I just wanted to shake things up a
    bit.

    > Only a bit into the game did it hit me that one of the ramifications
    > was an inability to recharge the castle wand. And there is SO much
    > that I'm missing in this game (and I haven't gotten any wishes yet).
    > Usually I have almost everything I want by the time I reach the
    castle.
    > I should've played a neutral character, then I could've wished for
    the
    > PYEC, I suppose.

    I think the lack of any handy bag is also making things pretty
    uncomfortable (I suspect trying to do price ID is a big pain in the
    butt without). Also, I suspect you didn't run into a nice phat bone
    pile. Sometimes you run into a bone pile and you end up with almost
    complete ascention kit without any work...

    -K
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kremti wrote:
    > I think the lack of any handy bag is also making things pretty
    > uncomfortable (I suspect trying to do price ID is a big pain in the
    > butt without).

    I'm curious about this. What does a bag have to do with price ID?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Nathan wrote:
    > Kremti wrote:
    > > I think the lack of any handy bag is also making things pretty
    > > uncomfortable (I suspect trying to do price ID is a big pain in the
    > > butt without).
    >
    > I'm curious about this. What does a bag have to do with price ID?

    He's running an illeterate and no bag. It's a pain in the butt to haul
    your stuff when you are getting burdened quickly without bag of
    holding, and can't carry more than 52 items because you don't have a
    bag?

    -K
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, ... I survived (praying
    > once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
    > discover that I am really STUCK.

    Okay! We have one castle wand. Now what?

    As you can see from my equipment list in the original post, I'm missing
    a whole lotta stuff. No decent armor (except for +0 speed boots, and
    in fact much of the armor listed in that post has now been
    disintegrated), no bag of holding, no means of levitation, no magic
    resistance, teleportitis with no TC. This has possibly been the
    stingiest the RNG has ever been to me. (only one shop outside
    minetown, not even one bones.)

    Oh, and no way to recharge the castle wand either... If I were neutral
    I could ask for the PYEC, but I won't be able to use it, right? It's
    not really worth trying for a PYEC and a helm of opposite alignment, is
    it?
    Alternatively, I would start on GDSM, ring of levitation (unless
    Perseus has the boots, I'll check first), BOH, gloves of power, a
    decent cloak, and just see where I run out of wishes. That sound
    right?
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Shadow wrote:

    > Stop right there.
    >
    > Hmm... Isn't it possible to wrest one last charge out of a wand? It's

    > usually done with wands of wishing, since most other wands are useful

    > only if used quickly, but in your case, you could wrest that last
    charge
    > out of your empty wand of striking to get at the Perseus statue?

    You're right! Now why didn't I think of that, I wonder?

    In any case, I've been to the castle and obtained a fresh wand of
    striking there. And guess what? No boots. Why am I not surprised?
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not been
    > kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of stuff
    > had to be left behind. I was exploring ahead of my base camp in the
    > low 20's, and was just about to go back, do some consolidation and
    > donation and pick up some items (such as a pickaxe). Instead I fell
    > through multiple levels and found myself face to face with the Titan on
    > the Medusa level (did I mention I have no MR?). Oops. He promptly
    > summoned a cloud of monsters, many of whom could've posed a threat to
    > me alone. I had no choice but zap my wand of digging and go down.
    > That was the castle level. Fortunately I had a ring of conflict so was
    > able to dispose of the monsters that came with me, when a master lich
    > strolled up to me and started summoning more. I survived (praying
    > once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
    > discover that I am really STUCK.
    >
    > I see no way I can cross the water except (possibly) a wand of cold
    > with an unknown number of charges (probably too few). I have no
    > potions of gain level and no water walking boots. I even seem to have
    > no way to break Perseus! My one \ of striking was empty. (Oh, and
    > even if I could cross the water, the other side still has a Titan, a
    > MMF, a green slime, and now about 100 gremlins.)

    Stop right there.

    Hmm... Isn't it possible to wrest one last charge out of a wand? It's
    usually done with wands of wishing, since most other wands are useful
    only if used quickly, but in your case, you could wrest that last charge
    out of your empty wand of striking to get at the Perseus statue?

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow aka The Shadows of Time aka Zarel aka...
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
    <snip>

    > Oh, and no way to recharge the castle wand either... If I were
    neutral
    > I could ask for the PYEC, but I won't be able to use it, right? It's
    > not really worth trying for a PYEC and a helm of opposite alignment,
    is
    > it?

    You are right. If you are not Neutral, you won't be able to use it.
    Or, rather, you won't be able to have it in your inventory. And no,
    it's not worth it. You can't even do it with the helm of opposite
    alignment since opposite alignment means you can never be neutral with
    the helm.

    > Alternatively, I would start on GDSM, ring of levitation (unless
    > Perseus has the boots, I'll check first), BOH, gloves of power, a
    > decent cloak, and just see where I run out of wishes. That sound
    > right?

    About right, yeah.

    -K
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
    > anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, ... I survived (praying
    >>once), put on my blindfold and went and killed Medusa. Only to
    >>discover that I am really STUCK.
    >>

    > Okay! We have one castle wand. Now what?
    >
    > As you can see from my equipment list in the original post, I'm missing
    > a whole lotta stuff. No decent armor (except for +0 speed boots, and
    > in fact much of the armor listed in that post has now been
    > disintegrated), no bag of holding, no means of levitation, no magic
    > resistance, teleportitis with no TC. This has possibly been the
    > stingiest the RNG has ever been to me. (only one shop outside
    > minetown, not even one bones.)
    >
    > Oh, and no way to recharge the castle wand either... If I were neutral
    > I could ask for the PYEC, but I won't be able to use it, right? It's
    > not really worth trying for a PYEC and a helm of opposite alignment, is
    > it?
    > Alternatively, I would start on GDSM, ring of levitation (unless
    > Perseus has the boots, I'll check first), BOH, gloves of power, a
    > decent cloak, and just see where I run out of wishes. That sound
    > right?

    Hmm... Isn't it possible to wrest one last charge out of a wand? It's
    usually done with wands of wishing, since most other wands are useful
    only if used quickly, but in your case, you could wrest that last charge
    out of your uncharged wand of striking to break Perseus's statue, and
    have a chance at levitation boots.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Shadow aka The Shadows of Time aka Zarel aka...
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    chuck wrote:
    > anat622@hotmail.com wrote in
    >
    > > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not
    been
    > > kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of
    stuff
    > > had to be left behind.
    > why don't you use chests (I assume you can wield an edged weapon...)

    I think he's still gonna have problem 'consolidating' those piles in a
    big stash without the bags to let him carry lotsa things at once. So
    he probaby ended up with multiple chest/box mini-stash lying around
    throughout the dungeon.

    -K
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat622@hotmail.com wrote in

    > I'm playing an illiterate orcish barbarian, and the RNG has not been
    > kind to me. Poor equipment, and no bag of any sort so a lot of stuff
    > had to be left behind.
    why don't you use chests (I assume you can wield an edged weapon...)
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    The RNG' s extreme stinginess continued. The castle wand was only at
    0:1. I got my GDSM, and before spending my last wish on a ring of
    levitation, I put on the one new ring I recently found to make sure it
    wasn't it. It wasn't, and was cursed. So (no choice) I asked for the
    ring. Now I had nothing to do but wait for my prayer timeout to
    expire -- cursed rings on both fingers, and no way to proceed without
    using levitation. A few hundred turns later -- poof! -- I turn into
    a gray dragon. Oh, so that's what that ring was. Okay, I can live
    with that, unless -- oh no --

    "You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
    "Your skin returns to its normal form."
    "You break out of your armor!"

    I'm sitting looking at the screen in shock. I know, I know -- I
    should've counted on that ring being polymorph and not put my suit on
    until I was able to remove it. That was very likely my one chance of
    getting magic resistance in this game. I know, there's always a
    chance that there'll be another WoW just lying around in Gehennom, and
    oh, there are still a few fountains around that I haven't quaffed, and
    I saw one single smoky potion in the potion shop, but with the way the
    RNG has been to me this game, all this strikes me as a very small
    chance.

    Well, it's been an interesting game. I think I'll go let that Titan
    stomp on me now and put me out of my misery.

    Yah, I should probably first check whether one of my un-id'd rings
    happens to be poly control. Let's see, is there anything I can turn
    into that has intrinsic MR?
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > I think he's still gonna have problem 'consolidating' those piles in a
    > big stash without the bags to let him carry lotsa things at once. So
    > he probaby ended up with multiple chest/box mini-stash lying around
    > throughout the dungeon.
    except that he explictly only mentions bags/sacks which led me to think that
    he just ran across chests he couldn't open (or wouldn't due to traps).
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > So (no choice) I asked for the ring. [of levitation]

    What's wrong with Boots of Lev?
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 28 Apr 2005 21:14:31 -0700, anat622@hotmail.com drained his beer,
    leaned back in the rec.games.roguelike.nethack beanbag and drunkenly
    proclaimed the following

    >The RNG' s extreme stinginess continued. The castle wand was only at
    >0:1. I got my GDSM, and before spending my last wish on a ring of
    >levitation, I put on the one new ring I recently found to make sure it
    >wasn't it.

    The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
    already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.
    --

    Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
    Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
    when they do it from religious conviction."
    Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    lmfback wrote:
    <snip>
    > P.S. And yes, I did wonder if he charged the wand or not. Illiterate
    > also made me think of wishing for the PYEC. And so forth thinking
    > commences until I disappear in a poof of smoke.

    He also pondered that point also, but he also indicated he wasn't
    neurtal, so PYEC is out of his reach.

    -K
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
    <snip>
    > > Didn't price ID?
    >
    > Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring
    stores),
    > back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than normal.
    Why
    > was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a creature at the
    > time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had any gold at that
    point?

    Oh yeah, I was gonna say, it's b). You get 45% of the value of item in
    store credit, if I remember correctly.

    -K
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Douglas Berry wrote:
    > The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
    > already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.

    His first post specified that he was playing illiterate.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    > "You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
    > "Your skin returns to its normal form."
    > "You break out of your armor!"

    Enlighten me, please - anytime I am wearing *DSM I always, without
    fail, turn into the type of dragon it is from, so it is impossible for
    me to ever ruin *DSM by polying. You just wait to poly back and there
    you go. Ruins your cloak, for sure, but generally it is not a disaster
    and can be a lot of fun esp. if you are female. Is my experience one
    giant fluke?
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Spook wrote:
    > > "You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
    > > "Your skin returns to its normal form."
    > > "You break out of your armor!"
    >
    > Enlighten me, please - anytime I am wearing *DSM I always, without
    > fail, turn into the type of dragon it is from, so it is impossible
    for
    > me to ever ruin *DSM by polying. You just wait to poly back and
    there
    > you go. Ruins your cloak, for sure, but generally it is not a
    disaster
    > and can be a lot of fun esp. if you are female. Is my experience one
    > giant fluke?

    The problem was that because of the ring he polyed *while* he was a
    grey dragon. This happens pretty much only when you have a ring on,
    since you can't control when the next polymorph happens. It's more
    like that his experience was sort of fluke.

    -K
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    chuck wrote:
    >>I think he's still gonna have problem 'consolidating' those piles in a
    >>big stash without the bags to let him carry lotsa things at once. So
    >>he probaby ended up with multiple chest/box mini-stash lying around
    >>throughout the dungeon.
    >
    > except that he explictly only mentions bags/sacks

    of course, have you ever tried carrying a box around? they are heavy
    (3500 gp equivalent), chests are even worse. So withoud bags you are
    either limited to 52 items or to very light stuff.

    Lars
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <_Wkce.8844$Yc.3055@trnddc06>, jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com
    says...
    > Douglas Berry wrote:
    > > The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
    > > already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.
    >
    > His first post specified that he was playing illiterate.

    ;-)

    IMHO "always" is a word that should be removed from the dictionary...

    Eskimo

    P.S. And yes, I did wonder if he charged the wand or not. Illiterate
    also made me think of wishing for the PYEC. And so forth thinking
    commences until I disappear in a poof of smoke.

    --
    //------------------------------
    //Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > Kremti wrote:
    > > anat622@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >> Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring
    > >> stores), back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than
    > >> normal. Why was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a
    > >> creature at the time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had
    any
    > >> gold at that point?
    <snip>
    > I don't think it's b. If it was, the OP would have got the message
    > "Asidonhopo cannot pay you at present. Will you accept xxx in credit
    > instead?". The OP wouldn't have been offered lower prices in general.
    >
    > The only reason I can think of is a very low charisma.

    If I remember collectly, charisma doesn't affect the buying price
    (That, I mean, player selling and the shopkeeper buying) at all. I
    religiously empty the shopkeepers' pockets since I run quasi-protection
    racket all the time, and this always happens:

    1. They still have plenty of cash, and they buy stuff at the half
    value.

    2. They have cash, but not enough to pay for the half value. They
    offer all the cash they have, and the message says something to the
    effect of "TheShopkeeper offers *only* xxx amount for your yyy" (the
    emphasis on the word "only" mine). That tells me the shopkeeper now
    has only that much cash in his pocket.

    3. From there, the shopkeeper offers only 45% of the value of the items
    in credits.

    So I assumed what was happening was case #3, although it could be case
    #2 as well. Either case, the shopkeeper has almost (or completely) run
    out of cash.

    -K
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Spook wrote:
    >>"You turn into a golden naga hatchling!"
    >>"Your skin returns to its normal form."
    >>"You break out of your armor!"
    >
    > Enlighten me, please - anytime I am wearing *DSM I always, without
    > fail, turn into the type of dragon it is from, so it is impossible for
    > me to ever ruin *DSM by polying.

    Then poly again once you are a dragon. Normal polymorph rules will apply.

    Lars
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 2005-04-26, anat622@hotmail.com <anat622@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Wands of slow monster, fire, magic missile, cold, speed monster, sleep,
    > two that make an engraving vanish (I think make invisible and
    > cancellation), and one that is probably either opening or locking

    Hm. /oC can help a lot against monsters with special abilities and
    it is also useful if you want to wear items that are currently cursed,
    uncharged and not worn.
    Maybe zapping the Titan with the wand makes the job a bit easier?
    Not sure if a Titan resists Cancelation, tough. /oC sure helps with Nymphs.

    regards Christian

    --
    THAT'S ALL FOLKS!
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Lars Kecke <kecke@physik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in

    > of course, have you ever tried carrying a box around? they are heavy
    > (3500 gp equivalent), chests are even worse. So withoud bags you are
    > either limited to 52 items or to very light stuff.
    I never carry that quantity of stuff arround anyway, I set a chest every 5
    levels (excepting the mines) and then ferry between when I want to id stuff.
    I place one at the top of the mines and use it to hold the bulk of my stuff.
    If I get far enough, I set one there for id'd stuff and a third for cursed
    stuff. I never (except for ferrying) carry more than burdened, and rarely
    carry a sack unless I have potions that I worry about. I carry money on my
    person (rarely excepting when going to stores) as leps are not much trouble
    when you get the nack, but magical explosions are a b****.
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kremti wrote:
    > anat622@hotmail.com wrote:

    >> Tried. At the only general store in the dungeon (and no ring
    >> stores), back in Minetown. And I got some wierd prices, lower than
    >> normal. Why was this? Was it a)because I was polymorphed into a
    >> creature at the time or b) because the shopkeeper no longer had any
    >> gold at that point?

    > Oh yeah, I was gonna say, it's b). You get 45% of the value of item
    > in store credit, if I remember correctly.

    I don't think it's b. If it was, the OP would have got the message
    "Asidonhopo cannot pay you at present. Will you accept xxx in credit
    instead?". The OP wouldn't have been offered lower prices in general.

    The only reason I can think of is a very low charisma.

    --
    Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 4/29/05 2:43 AM, Douglas Berry wrote:

    > The first wish is *ALWAYS* 2 blessed scrolls of charging (unless you
    > already have a supply of such scrolls.) Always. Without fail.

    If you're a wizard with high luck and at least a few blank or blankable
    scrolls, a magic marker would make more sense.

    --
    Kevin Wayne

    "I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
    "I was misinformed."

Video Games