YASD (somewhat spoily)

Playing a lawful neutral human valkyrie it was the first time I got really
far in this game (playing on nao). Got an early wish -> gray dragon scale
mail. Got Excalibur by #dipping.

This time I finished Sokoban ("oR) and the mines without dying. No
co-aligned altar in the game, but I wanted to wait until I finished the
quest before attempting a conversion. So I went deeper, finished Medusa
with reflection. Between Medusa and the castle I went through a maze level
(what's that?) and finally arrived at the castle. Drawbridge destroyed
by /oStriking. Had to go several times one level up to heal but finished
everything with my Excalibur/silver sabre combination.

I finally got explevel 14 and finished the quest (Lord Surtur was easy).
Converted an altar and got Mojo by sacrificing. Went back to the castle
(wished for speed boots and BoH somewhere in between) and went through the
valley.

In the next maze level I met my doom: a green slime was killed and I had the
great idea to eat it :-( I thought that turning into slime was like a
polymorph or something so I didn't really see the danger.

DYWYPI?

Worst thing is that I had an "oLifeSaving in my BoH :-(

Tobias Brink wrote:

> In the next maze level I met my doom: a green slime was killed and I had the
> great idea to eat it :-( I thought that turning into slime was like a
> polymorph or something so I didn't really see the danger.

And that's something I really don't understand; slimed by a green slime
you will die, but polymorphing into a green slime is o.k.? Is there any
rationale for that game behaviour?

> DYWYPI?
>
> Worst thing is that I had an "oLifeSaving in my BoH :-(

Well, if you do such things like eating green slime, *one* amulet won't
really help you in the long term. ;-)

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
<snip>
> > DYWYPI?
> >
> > Worst thing is that I had an "oLifeSaving in my BoH :-(
>
> Well, if you do such things like eating green slime, *one* amulet
won't
> really help you in the long term. ;-)

Well, hopefully, he'll learn from the experience...:D

-K

On 4/27/05 2:57 PM, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> And that's something I really don't understand; slimed by a green slime
> you will die, but polymorphing into a green slime is o.k.? Is there any
> rationale for that game behaviour?

It seems to me that part of the magic of polymorph is that you change
form without changing identity; hence, the polymorphed player retains
the memory of discovered items and dungeon layout, even though the brain
is polymorphed as well, sometimes out of existence.

Being slimed, on the other hand, is a process that has no regard for
identity. To an outside observer, the process may look much the same;
inwardly, however, you would simply experience your self ebbing away.

--
Kevin Wayne

"My mind is going..."
--HAL

Quoting Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com>:
>Tobias Brink wrote:
>>In the next maze level I met my doom: a green slime was killed and I had the
>>great idea to eat it :-( I thought that turning into slime was like a
>>polymorph or something so I didn't really see the danger.
>And that's something I really don't understand; slimed by a green slime
>you will die, but polymorphing into a green slime is o.k.?

Polymorphing preserves your identity - I guess in a game with gods and the
supernatural we can say "your soul"; it's magical. Being slimed is a
physical process that dissolves your brain tissue.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Mania, May.

Kremti wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> <snip>
>> > DYWYPI?
>> >
>> > Worst thing is that I had an "oLifeSaving in my BoH :-(
>>
>> Well, if you do such things like eating green slime, *one* amulet won't
>> really help you in the long term. ;-)
>>

> Well, hopefully, he'll learn from the experience...:D

Perhaps being saved by the amulet would have made me stop playing for a
while and begin to take more care of what I did. You really shouldn't play
tired (it was after midnight).

At least I have another entry for the "do not eat that"-list ;-)

Patric Mueller wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > And that's something I really don't understand; slimed by a green
slime
> > you will die, but polymorphing into a green slime is o.k.? Is there
any
> > rationale for that game behaviour?
>
> Likewise, polymorphing into a cockatrice doesn't stone you. Why
should
> it? You are slime "resistant" if you are a green slime. I don't see a
> problem there.

But you are not polymorphing into 'a statue'. You are polymorphing
into a creature that's not a statue that can make you into one. It's a
little different from green slime situation.

You sort of keep your 'identity' too. If you slime the Death, it's a
green slime named Death too. So I dunno :p

-K

Sorry you had to find out about Green Slime the hard way. I was
working on my first ascension and I practiced going through Gehennom in
wizard mode. The only thing that took me out was Green Slime so I read
up on it.

If you have reflection, magic resistence, good armor, good weapons and
luck (and a way to uncurse things) I think green slime is one of the
few things that can kill you in a real fight. There isn't any
resistence for it. I guess that one demon prince is bad too if it gets
summoned. But usually I have such a good AC and high level that
nothing really can touch me. But slime still can kill you quick, even
if you don't eat it.

Obviously you could do many things to get killed if you tried (like
eating a cockatrice corpse). But I'm just thinking of a straight
fight. Anyway, I guess this is kind of irrelevent since you ate the
slime. But my point is that now that you know about slime there isn't
too much else in your way.

- Bobby

Tobias Brink wrote:
> Playing a lawful neutral human valkyrie it was the first time I got
really
> far in this game (playing on nao). Got an early wish -> gray dragon
scale
> mail. Got Excalibur by #dipping.
>
> This time I finished Sokoban ("oR) and the mines without dying. No
> co-aligned altar in the game, but I wanted to wait until I finished
the
> quest before attempting a conversion. So I went deeper, finished
Medusa
> with reflection. Between Medusa and the castle I went through a maze
level
> (what's that?) and finally arrived at the castle. Drawbridge
destroyed
> by /oStriking. Had to go several times one level up to heal but
finished
> everything with my Excalibur/silver sabre combination.
>
> I finally got explevel 14 and finished the quest (Lord Surtur was
easy).
> Converted an altar and got Mojo by sacrificing. Went back to the
castle
> (wished for speed boots and BoH somewhere in between) and went
through the
> valley.
>
> In the next maze level I met my doom: a green slime was killed and I
had the
> great idea to eat it :-( I thought that turning into slime was like a
> polymorph or something so I didn't really see the danger.
>
> DYWYPI?
>
> Worst thing is that I had an "oLifeSaving in my BoH :-(

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> And that's something I really don't understand; slimed by a green slime
> you will die, but polymorphing into a green slime is o.k.? Is there any
> rationale for that game behaviour?

Likewise, polymorphing into a cockatrice doesn't stone you. Why should
it? You are slime "resistant" if you are a green slime. I don't see a
problem there.

Bye
Patric

bdurrettccci@yahoo.com wrote:
> If you have reflection, magic resistence, good armor, good weapons and
> luck (and a way to uncurse things) I think green slime is one of the
> few things that can kill you in a real fight. There isn't any
> resistence for it.

Unchanging prevents it.

Atillo

In article <d4melc$odq$01$1@news.t-online.com>,
Tobias Brink <tobias.brinkNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

>Playing a lawful neutral human valkyrie...
> and went through the valley.

>In the next maze level I met my doom: a green slime was killed and I had the
>great idea to eat it :-( I thought that turning into slime was like a
>polymorph or something so I didn't really see the danger.

Dude, I have been so there! I was playing a healer and I don't think I had
ever enountered a slime before.

>DYWYPI?

Exactly.

>Worst thing is that I had an "oLifeSaving in my BoH :-(

Even worse for me. The staff, my healing artifact, actually cures it!

I had the cure right in my hand!

OUCH!

BAJ