Really Stupid Question

How in heck do I get into Fort Ludious?

Spoilers fine. I've tried just about everything I can think of except
/oDigging...there's no drawbridge or secret doors I can find. I have a
/oCold, so I've frozen the moat at both ends of the fort for
access...what next?

Playing Lawful Monk, -45 AC, exp. level 14, =oConflict, +9=oIncrDam.
Many, many wands, lots of scrolls. The RNG gods have been very kind;
this is the first time I've gotten this far.

Oh, forgot to mention- I'm playing Slash'EM, not vanilla.
11 answers Last reply
More about really stupid question

    Never mind, found the door at the other end...

    OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
    nurse-dancing?

    Mac wrote:

    > OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
    > nurse-dancing?

    c) alchemy :)

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
    significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
    resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    > Mac wrote:
    >
    > > OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
    > > nurse-dancing?
    >
    > c) alchemy :)

    Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
    supplies.

    Mac wrote:
    > Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    > > Mac wrote:
    > >
    > > > OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi
    or
    > > > nurse-dancing?
    > >
    > > c) alchemy :)
    > >

    > Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
    > supplies.

    You will. Don't worry about it. I'm guessing you haven't gone through
    the Ghennom. At your AC level, you should be safe with like 100ish hps
    + MR going through the hell and in the meanwhile you'll find all the
    potions you need for alchemy. You should be worrying about dying to
    other things.

    -K
    -K
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Mac wrote:

    > Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >> Mac wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
    >>> nurse-dancing?
    >>
    >> c) alchemy :)
    >
    > Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
    > supplies.

    AFAIK, the only way you can gain HP with a foocubus is with level gain, so
    if you want to go with one of these two options I would choose
    nurse-dancing, preferably in sokoban.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    > Mac wrote:
    >

    >>Benjamin Lewis wrote:

    >>>c) alchemy :)
    >>
    >>Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
    >>supplies.
    >

    > AFAIK, the only way you can gain HP with a foocubus is with level gain, so
    > if you want to go with one of these two options I would choose
    > nurse-dancing, preferably in sokoban.

    You can't reverse-genocide foocubi anyway, so problem solved.

    Nurses don't grant all that many HP, really. I would say the best way
    for HP is from sacfests and alchemy. Sacfests are good because they
    often yield other useful things (artifacts, full inventory IDs). It
    really doesn't take much alchemy to end up with a huge stack of full
    heal potion.

    If you don't yet have full strength, I'd recommend giants of some type.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > Nurses don't grant all that many HP, really. I would say the best way

    > for HP is from sacfests and alchemy. Sacfests are good because they
    > often yield other useful things (artifacts, full inventory IDs). It
    > really doesn't take much alchemy to end up with a huge stack of full
    > heal potion.
    >
    > If you don't yet have full strength, I'd recommend giants of some
    type.

    OK- Three points:
    1. I'm playing a monk, so no giants unless desperate (I was going to
    hunt up elven armor and try polypiling for GoP. The GoDefense
    half-phys-damage was extremely useful in battle, but the GoP would be
    useful for lugging around stuff while setting up & moving stashes.)
    2. Thanks for all the help.
    3. This all became irrelevant when my computer crashed while playing
    yesterday and recover failed. I'll remember it for next time.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Mac wrote:
    <snip>
    > OK- Three points:
    > 1. I'm playing a monk, so no giants unless desperate (I was going to
    > hunt up elven armor and try polypiling for GoP. The GoDefense
    > half-phys-damage was extremely useful in battle, but the GoP would be
    > useful for lugging around stuff while setting up & moving stashes.)
    > 2. Thanks for all the help.
    > 3. This all became irrelevant when my computer crashed while playing
    > yesterday and recover failed. I'll remember it for next time.

    Ohhh, my condolences. I see you are playing Slash'em then. My
    assessment of '-45AC is superb' might not hold in your game then. I'm
    still a Slash'em virgin...

    -K
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > Ohhh, my condolences. I see you are playing Slash'em then. My
    > assessment of '-45AC is superb' might not hold in your game then.
    I'm
    > still a Slash'em virgin...
    >
    > -K

    -45 AC is pretty darn good considering I hadn't even gotten to Medusa
    yet, never mind the Castle or Gehennom, and monks don't wear body armor
    except robes (Yes, robes are body armor in Slash'EM- four types-
    "robe", "robe of protection", "robe of power", and "robe of weakness").
    Slash'EM is awesome- so much more stuff, gypsies, toilets, and new
    artifacts, although the graphical interface took getting used to. I'd
    always played regular old ASCII NetHack. The Most Useful Artifact prize
    has to go to the Wallet of Perseus, the artifact bag of holding. I got
    an early wish from the throne on the Mine King level (one level below
    Mine's End) and spent it on that.

    One thing I don't get- I'd heard scary things about Master Kaen, but he
    was so easy it was ridiculous. I dropped down the stairs, used blink (I
    was a Hobbit) for extra moves (I was already Very Fast from speed
    boots), used chi strike, used elemental fist, walked over to MK (who
    was still meditating), ground slammed him, pummeled him, and it was all
    over. I lost exactly zero hitpoints, although the xorns and elementals
    took me down maybe forty shortly afterward. Did he get weakened for
    Slash'EM, did I get absurdly lucky, or is this normal?
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Quoting Mac <abroughear@gmail.com>:
    >One thing I don't get- I'd heard scary things about Master Kaen, but he
    >was so easy it was ridiculous. I dropped down the stairs, used blink (I
    >was a Hobbit) for extra moves (I was already Very Fast from speed
    >boots), used chi strike, used elemental fist, walked over to MK (who
    >was still meditating), ground slammed him, pummeled him, and it was all
    >over. I lost exactly zero hitpoints, although the xorns and elementals
    >took me down maybe forty shortly afterward. Did he get weakened for
    >Slash'EM, did I get absurdly lucky, or is this normal?

    I don't believe he was weakened in Slash'em, but Slash'em Monks are much
    stronger than vanilla Monks, who cannot;

    blink
    chi strike
    elemental fist
    ground slam
    pummel
    do massive damage unarmed by any mechanism at all

    [Of course, they're not obliged to go weaponless, but you're doing no more
    damage than any other armed character.]
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
    Today is Aponoia, May.