  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 27, 2005 10:03:56 AM

How in heck do I get into Fort Ludious?

Spoilers fine. I've tried just about everything I can think of except
/oDigging...there's no drawbridge or secret doors I can find. I have a
/oCold, so I've frozen the moat at both ends of the fort for
access...what next?

Playing Lawful Monk, -45 AC, exp. level 14, =oConflict, +9=oIncrDam.
Many, many wands, lots of scrolls. The RNG gods have been very kind;
this is the first time I've gotten this far.

Oh, forgot to mention- I'm playing Slash'EM, not vanilla.

More about : stupid question

April 27, 2005 10:08:38 AM

Never mind, found the door at the other end...
April 27, 2005 10:48:29 AM

OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
nurse-dancing?
April 27, 2005 2:38:23 PM

Mac wrote:

> OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
> nurse-dancing?

c) alchemy :)

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.
April 27, 2005 4:49:10 PM

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Mac wrote:
>
> > OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
> > nurse-dancing?
>
> c) alchemy :)

Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
supplies.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:14:01 PM

Mac wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> > Mac wrote:
> >
> > > OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi
or
> > > nurse-dancing?
> >
> > c) alchemy :)
> >

> Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
> supplies.

You will. Don't worry about it. I'm guessing you haven't gone through
the Ghennom. At your AC level, you should be safe with like 100ish hps
+ MR going through the hell and in the meanwhile you'll find all the
potions you need for alchemy. You should be worrying about dying to
other things.

-K
-K
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:41:33 PM

Mac wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>> Mac wrote:
>>
>>> OK, better question now: Which is better for HP-raising: foocubi or
>>> nurse-dancing?
>>
>> c) alchemy :)
>
> Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
> supplies.

AFAIK, the only way you can gain HP with a foocubus is with level gain, so
if you want to go with one of these two options I would choose
nurse-dancing, preferably in sokoban.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:49:49 PM

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Mac wrote:
>

>>Benjamin Lewis wrote:

>>>c) alchemy :)
>>
>>Yes, but I have cursed genocide scrolls and I don't have huge potions
>>supplies.
>

> AFAIK, the only way you can gain HP with a foocubus is with level gain, so
> if you want to go with one of these two options I would choose
> nurse-dancing, preferably in sokoban.

You can't reverse-genocide foocubi anyway, so problem solved.

Nurses don't grant all that many HP, really. I would say the best way
for HP is from sacfests and alchemy. Sacfests are good because they
often yield other useful things (artifacts, full inventory IDs). It
really doesn't take much alchemy to end up with a huge stack of full
heal potion.

If you don't yet have full strength, I'd recommend giants of some type.
April 28, 2005 10:21:25 AM

> Nurses don't grant all that many HP, really. I would say the best way

> for HP is from sacfests and alchemy. Sacfests are good because they
> often yield other useful things (artifacts, full inventory IDs). It
> really doesn't take much alchemy to end up with a huge stack of full
> heal potion.
>
> If you don't yet have full strength, I'd recommend giants of some
type.

OK- Three points:
1. I'm playing a monk, so no giants unless desperate (I was going to
hunt up elven armor and try polypiling for GoP. The GoDefense
half-phys-damage was extremely useful in battle, but the GoP would be
useful for lugging around stuff while setting up & moving stashes.)
2. Thanks for all the help.
3. This all became irrelevant when my computer crashed while playing
yesterday and recover failed. I'll remember it for next time.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:06:37 PM

Mac wrote:
<snip>
> OK- Three points:
> 1. I'm playing a monk, so no giants unless desperate (I was going to
> hunt up elven armor and try polypiling for GoP. The GoDefense
> half-phys-damage was extremely useful in battle, but the GoP would be
> useful for lugging around stuff while setting up & moving stashes.)
> 2. Thanks for all the help.
> 3. This all became irrelevant when my computer crashed while playing
> yesterday and recover failed. I'll remember it for next time.

Ohhh, my condolences. I see you are playing Slash'em then. My
assessment of '-45AC is superb' might not hold in your game then. I'm
still a Slash'em virgin...

-K
April 28, 2005 8:51:01 PM

> Ohhh, my condolences. I see you are playing Slash'em then. My
> assessment of '-45AC is superb' might not hold in your game then.
I'm
> still a Slash'em virgin...
>
> -K

-45 AC is pretty darn good considering I hadn't even gotten to Medusa
yet, never mind the Castle or Gehennom, and monks don't wear body armor
except robes (Yes, robes are body armor in Slash'EM- four types-
"robe", "robe of protection", "robe of power", and "robe of weakness").
Slash'EM is awesome- so much more stuff, gypsies, toilets, and new
artifacts, although the graphical interface took getting used to. I'd
always played regular old ASCII NetHack. The Most Useful Artifact prize
has to go to the Wallet of Perseus, the artifact bag of holding. I got
an early wish from the throne on the Mine King level (one level below
Mine's End) and spent it on that.

One thing I don't get- I'd heard scary things about Master Kaen, but he
was so easy it was ridiculous. I dropped down the stairs, used blink (I
was a Hobbit) for extra moves (I was already Very Fast from speed
boots), used chi strike, used elemental fist, walked over to MK (who
was still meditating), ground slammed him, pummeled him, and it was all
over. I lost exactly zero hitpoints, although the xorns and elementals
took me down maybe forty shortly afterward. Did he get weakened for
Slash'EM, did I get absurdly lucky, or is this normal?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:46:07 PM

Quoting Mac <abroughear@gmail.com>:
>One thing I don't get- I'd heard scary things about Master Kaen, but he
>was so easy it was ridiculous. I dropped down the stairs, used blink (I
>was a Hobbit) for extra moves (I was already Very Fast from speed
>boots), used chi strike, used elemental fist, walked over to MK (who
>was still meditating), ground slammed him, pummeled him, and it was all
>over. I lost exactly zero hitpoints, although the xorns and elementals
>took me down maybe forty shortly afterward. Did he get weakened for
>Slash'EM, did I get absurdly lucky, or is this normal?

I don't believe he was weakened in Slash'em, but Slash'em Monks are much
stronger than vanilla Monks, who cannot;

blink
chi strike
elemental fist
ground slam
pummel
do massive damage unarmed by any mechanism at all

[Of course, they're not obliged to go weaponless, but you're doing no more
damage than any other armed character.]
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Aponoia, May.