question about strange recurring event

I've got the 3 necessary items to get to endgame. I'm hanging around an
altar on Level 19, using up my wands of monster creation and trying to
decide if I'm ready to make the ascension run. The problem is, every so
often I get the message that a "malignant aura" is forming around me and
some of my stuff gets cursed/unblessed. It doesn't seem to be caused by a
monster that I can tell. Is this some side effect of holding the BOTD?

- Warpwizard

Warpwizard wrote:
> I've got the 3 necessary items to get to endgame. I'm hanging around
an
> altar on Level 19, using up my wands of monster creation and trying
> decide if I'm ready to make the ascension run. The problem is, every
so
> often I get the message that a "malignant aura" is forming around me
and
> some of my stuff gets cursed/unblessed. It doesn't seem to be caused
by a
> monster that I can tell. Is this some side effect of holding the
BOTD?

> - Warpwizard

Without doing into specific spoiler...

Yes.

-K

Kremti wrote:
> Warpwizard wrote:

>> I've got the 3 necessary items to get to endgame. I'm hanging
>> around an altar on Level 19, using up my wands of monster creation
>> and trying to decide if I'm ready to make the ascension run. The
>> problem is, every so often I get the message that a "malignant aura"
>> is forming around me and some of my stuff gets cursed/unblessed. It
>> doesn't seem to be caused by a monster that I can tell. Is this
>> some side effect of holding the BOTD?

> Without doing into specific spoiler...

> Yes.

I don't think so. It is very well possible to get the malignant aura
*without* holding the =BotD. Likewise, it is possible, but quite
difficult, to be holding the =BotD and *not* getting the malignant aura,
if I recall correctly.

SPOILER SPACE TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT

The malignant aura starts appearing after you've awoken the Wizard of
Yendor. Since you will normally wake him up to get the BotD, carrying
the Book will usually mean that the Wizard has been woken up, so the
aura will appear once in a while.

If you steal the book from him without waking him up, though, you might
be able to carry it without getting the aura. I'm not sure if this is
really possible, though. I suppose this would be considered a loophole
and made impossible by the Dev Team.

Reversely, you could take the Book from the Wizard, use it, and drop it
when you don't need it anymore (after you've opened up the Sanctum, you
may leave it behind: the Amulet is all you need to enter the Planes). If
you do, you will still get the malignant aura.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> SPOILER SPACE TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT

> The malignant aura starts appearing after you've awoken the Wizard of
> Yendor. Since you will normally wake him up to get the BotD, carrying
> the Book will usually mean that the Wizard has been woken up, so the
> aura will appear once in a while.

No. The aura (and other effects from that selection) only happen after
you've killed the Wizard; waking him isn't relevant.

> If you steal the book from him without waking him up, though, you might
> be able to carry it without getting the aura. I'm not sure if this is
> really possible, though. I suppose this would be considered a loophole
> and made impossible by the Dev Team.

It's not a loophole; performing the invocation _also_ causes the
malignant aura (and the other various effects) to start occurring. So
all you're doing by stealing the Book is buying yourself some
unharassed time between then and the invocation.

: "Peek-a-boo, I can't see you, everything must be grand; :
: Boo-ka-pee, you can't see me, as long as I've got me head in t'sand..." :
: -- Michael Flanders, "The Ostrich" :

Spoiler Space

\|/

On 4/29/05 7:28 PM, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

> It's not a loophole; performing the invocation _also_ causes the
> malignant aura (and the other various effects) to start occurring. So
> all you're doing by stealing the Book is buying yourself some
> unharassed time between then and the invocation.

Which, if you have TC and two teleport scrolls, need be only two moves.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"Waters? What waters? We're in the desert?"
"I was misinformed."

> If you steal the book from him without waking him up, though, you
might
> be able to carry it without getting the aura. I'm not sure if this is
> really possible, though. I suppose this would be considered a
loophole
> and made impossible by the Dev Team.

Is it possible to steal the book without waking him? Wont attempting to
steal the book wake him up?

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> If you steal the book from him without waking him up, though, you
>might
>> be able to carry it without getting the aura. I'm not sure if this is
>> really possible, though. I suppose this would be considered a
>loophole
>> and made impossible by the Dev Team.
>
>Is it possible to steal the book without waking him? Wont attempting to
>steal the book wake him up?

As Dylan notes, you don't need to worry about Rodney's revenge until
you've either killed him or performed the invocation to unlock Moloch's
Sanctum. So, if you can purloin the Book without killing Rodney, you
can then head down to the VS without harassment.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.

Martin Read wrote:
> "Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >> If you steal the book from him without waking him up, though, you
> >might
> >> be able to carry it without getting the aura. I'm not sure if this
is
> >> really possible, though. I suppose this would be considered a
> >loophole
> >> and made impossible by the Dev Team.
> >
> >Is it possible to steal the book without waking him? Wont attempting
> >steal the book wake him up?
>
> As Dylan notes, you don't need to worry about Rodney's revenge until
> you've either killed him or performed the invocation to unlock
Moloch's
> Sanctum. So, if you can purloin the Book without killing Rodney, you
> can then head down to the VS without harassment.

So if you do wake him up but not kill him he wont be even the slightest
bit pissed off that you stole his book and follow you around, trying to
kill you and get his book back?

Marky Mark wrote:
> Martin Read wrote:

>>>might

> is

>>>loophole

>>>Is it possible to steal the book without waking him? Wont attempting

>>>steal the book wake him up?
>>
>>As Dylan notes, you don't need to worry about Rodney's revenge until
>>you've either killed him or performed the invocation to unlock
>
> Moloch's
>
>>Sanctum. So, if you can purloin the Book without killing Rodney, you
>>can then head down to the VS without harassment.
>

> So if you do wake him up but not kill him he wont be even the slightest
> bit pissed off that you stole his book and follow you around, trying to
> kill you and get his book back?

Perhaps Rodney's concern is not the book itself, just what gets done
with it as far as the amulet is concerned. Being killed is worthy of
his vengeance, but having the book stolen is a minor annoyance that
poses no immediate threat to him.

-Ken

On 5/2/05 9:42 PM, Ken Cuvelier wrote:
> Marky Mark wrote:

>> So if you do wake [Rodney] up but not kill him he wont be even the
>> slightest bit pissed off that you stole his book and follow you
>> around, trying to kill you and get his book back?
>
> Perhaps Rodney's concern is not the book itself, just what gets done
> with it as far as the amulet is concerned. Being killed is worthy of
> his vengeance, but having the book stolen is a minor annoyance that
> poses no immediate threat to him.

Well, he's not peaceful. If he's not asleep (or is it meditating?), he
will attack you just like any aggressive monster. He will also try to
steal your quest artifact (iirc; will he also try to steal the
invocation items?), and if he's next to you, he should be able to follow
you up or downstairs. So presumably, if you can get off the same level
as the one he's on, he should leave you alone, but not until then.

Not that I have much experience with this. I save wands of death almost
exclusively for Rodney appearances; he rarely survives for more than a
turn or two once I spot him.

--

Quoting Warpwizard <warpwizard@gmail.com>:
>I've got the 3 necessary items to get to endgame. I'm hanging around an
>altar on Level 19, using up my wands of monster creation and trying to
>decide if I'm ready to make the ascension run. The problem is, every so
>often I get the message that a "malignant aura" is forming around me and
>some of my stuff gets cursed/unblessed. It doesn't seem to be caused by a
>monster that I can tell. Is this some side effect of holding the BOTD?

It's a side effect of killing Rodney or of doing the invocation (if you
get the book without killing him). You do not have time to mess around
once he's dead; make the run now.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Tuesday, May.