battered by an air elemental

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

In my just completed 1000 km bike trip from Fresno California
to Phoenix Arizona, I stopped to take a picture of Amboy Crater,
a small volcanic cinder cone along historic Route 66 just west
of Amboy, California.

Just as I got my camera stowed, I was caught by a "dust devil",
the real world incarnation of an air elemental.

It did, indeed, throw me around, and pummel me with debris, so
NetHack nicely imitates Real Life.

One thing I did notice, though, is that the cone of the vortex
expands at a 45 degree angle, and was over 30 meters wide where
I lost track of it in the overhead light. NetHack allows air
elementals on adjacent grid cells, but to be realistic, there
should (YANI) be enforced a perhaps five cell separation between
air elementals, in some future revision.

xanthian, differently muscled than when I started the trip 30
days ago.

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

> Just as I got my camera stowed, I was caught by a "dust devil",
> the real world incarnation of an air elemental.
>
> It did, indeed, throw me around, and pummel me with debris, so
> NetHack nicely imitates Real Life.

An air elemental dust vortex hybridization?

Janis

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

"Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote in

> In my just completed 1000 km bike trip from Fresno California
> to Phoenix Arizona, I stopped to take a picture of Amboy Crater,
> a small volcanic cinder cone along historic Route 66 just west
> of Amboy, California.
since you didn't say how long it took you, I'll ask. I assume from your last
line that you mean bicycle and not motor?

chuck wrote:
> "Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote in
>

>>In my just completed 1000 km bike trip from Fresno California
>>to Phoenix Arizona, I stopped to take a picture of Amboy Crater,
>>a small volcanic cinder cone along historic Route 66 just west
>>of Amboy, California.
>
> since you didn't say how long it took you, I'll ask. I assume from your last
> line that you mean bicycle and not motor?

Which part of the following did you miss?

> "Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote in

*cut to bottom*

> xanthian, differently muscled than when I started the trip 30
> days ago.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

> chuck wrote:
>> "Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote in
>>

>>>In my just completed 1000 km bike trip from Fresno California
>>>to Phoenix Arizona, I stopped to take a picture of Amboy Crater,
>>>a small volcanic cinder cone along historic Route 66 just west
>>>of Amboy, California.
>>
>> since you didn't say how long it took you, I'll ask. I assume from your
last
>> line that you mean bicycle and not motor?
>
> Which part of the following did you miss?
none read MY last sentence and how long DID it take you?

"Kent Paul Dolan" <xanthian@well.com> wrote in message
>Just as I got my camera stowed, I was caught by a "dust devil",
>the real world incarnation of an air elemental.
>It did, indeed, throw me around, and pummel me with debris, so
>NetHack nicely imitates Real Life.

I would agree with the other poster that your dust devil is more a Dust
Vortex than an Air Elemental. Vortex creatures have the funnel you
experienced. Elementals tend to have or at least can take on a semi-humanoid
shape, although they're still formed of the element in question.

>NetHack allows air
>elementals on adjacent grid cells, but to be realistic

Don't forget Nethack allows newts to take up the same amount of space as
Black Dragons. :)

>there should (YANI) be enforced a perhaps five cell separation between
>air elementals, in some future revision.

That would make the Plane of Air easy, as I tame the first Air Elemental
that gets near me, and let it follow me to the portal, keeping all the
other nasty Air Elementals at bay. Or I just slow the first Air Elemental,
letting it chase me at near normal speed to the portal, also keeping the
others at bay. One of the hardest parts of the Plane of Air is the point
where it seems like three or four Air Elementals reach you at the same
time, forcing you to fight them in sequence with little chance to heal.

Instead of allowing vortexes to have a mysterious magnetic repelling effect
on each other, an alternate YANI would be to allow vortexes of the same
type to merge into each other forming a larger vortex (i.e. one with twice
the HP and HD). A fog vortex + fire vortex = giant steam vortex. :)

O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O
* Walter D. "Cruiser1" Pullen :) ! Astara@msn.com *
O My 1st person Roguelike: http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/daedalus.htm O

Quoting Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com>:
>It's from the original post, and it spells out pretty clearly how long
>it took the OP. 30 days, just in case you're still having trouble
>seeing it. And since OP mentions being differently muscled, it seems
>fair to assume that it was due to bicycling, not motorcycling.

33km a day would be a very leisurely motorcycle journey, too; it's not
exactly warp factor nine on a bicycle, although with frequent aerobelly
maintenance stops...
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Tuesday, May.