Please forgive the test (of my signature box)

Greetings NetHackers!

I never cease to be amazed: the wheels in wheels that turn within this game!

I am a complete (re)noob, so I promise to ask no more than one noobish
question per week. Maybe after I can consistently survive through at
least Dlvl 13, I'll allow myself more boldness.

Reading the comments on this thread is *very* enlightening. I reap
spoilers even when they are not intended (for one such as me).

Hack (as it was called in 1988) was the first computer game I ever
played. I started after my son, then eight years old, told me about
paper-and-pencil D&D. He is now 25, working hard at being a grad
student. A week ago he told me about the Falcon's Eye version of
Nethack. I DL'd it--and now I am incessantly ...

Hacking just like the rest of y'all,
(Re)noob

--
*--------------------------------*
| Ma fin est mon commencement. |

"ReNoobing (Net)Hack" <gbrahms@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Greetings NetHackers!

> Hacking just like the rest of y'all,
> (Re)noob

Unless you have a blessed scroll of "make everyone in the world configure
their mail client to use a fixed width font" you cannot make boxes display
properly for everyone.

> *--------------------------------*
> | Ma fin est mon commencement. |
> *--------------------------------*

The default on windows is Arial which is not fixed width so they are
unlikely to display properly for anyone at all.

Your signature is IMHO a lame waste of space anyway and since you chose to
try it out on us you could at least have made it NetHack related.

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:14:41 +0100, Nick Hounsome
<nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote:

> The default on windows is Arial which is not fixed width so they are
> unlikely to display properly for anyone at all.

Grin - the default in OE on Windows, but not on every newsreader
(thankfully)

> Your signature is IMHO a lame waste of space anyway and since you chose
> try it out on us you could at least have made it NetHack related.

This is, however, true :)

--
Ant :)

"Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote:

> "ReNoobing (Net)Hack" <gbrahms@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings NetHackers!
>
> > Hacking just like the rest of y'all,
> > (Re)noob
>
> Unless you have a blessed scroll of "make everyone in the world configure
> their mail client to use a fixed width font" you cannot make boxes display
> properly for everyone.

Sure, but that's the problem of those who choose to use a proportional
font, not the OP's.

> > *--------------------------------*
> > | Ma fin est mon commencement. |
> > *--------------------------------*
>
> The default on windows is Arial

No, it isn't. It may be the default in Outhouse, which many Windows
users are deluded enough to think is a proper newsreader and some even
seem to think is the standard for newsreaders or even, Cthulhu save us
all, do not know that any others exist; but that is just another bug in
Outhouse, then.

> which is not fixed width so they are
> unlikely to display properly for anyone at all.

Excuse me: for anyone at all, except those of us using newsreaders.

> Your signature is IMHO a lame waste of space anyway

That's a matter of taste. It takes three lines; then again,

takes one more.

Richard

On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:23:06 +0100, Richard Bos
<rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:

> "Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> The default on windows is Arial
>
> No, it isn't. It may be the default in Outhouse, which many Windows
> users are deluded enough to think is a proper newsreader and some even
> seem to think is the standard for newsreaders or even, Cthulhu save us
> all, do not know that any others exist; but that is just another bug in
> Outhouse, then.

Heh - I note with interest this line in your post's header

Nice :))

--
Ant :)

"Antonio Remedios" <antdos.removeme.please.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:23:06 +0100, Richard Bos
> <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:
>
> > "Nick Hounsome" <nh002@nickhounsome.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> The default on windows is Arial
> >
> > No, it isn't. It may be the default in Outhouse, which many Windows
> > users are deluded enough to think is a proper newsreader and some even
> > seem to think is the standard for newsreaders or even, Cthulhu save us
> > all, do not know that any others exist; but that is just another bug in
> > Outhouse, then.
>
> Heh - I note with interest this line in your post's header

Yes. Does this contradict what I wrote?

Richard

On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:30:19 +0100, Richard Bos
<rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:

> "Antonio Remedios" <antdos.removeme.please.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 01 May 2005 23:23:06 +0100, Richard Bos
>> <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote:

>> > No, it isn't. It may be the default in Outhouse, which many Windows
>> > users are deluded enough to think is a proper newsreader and some even
>> > seem to think is the standard for newsreaders or even, Cthulhu save us
>> > all, do not know that any others exist; but that is just another bug
>> in
>> > Outhouse, then.
>>
>> Heh - I note with interest this line in your post's header

> Yes. Does this contradict what I wrote?

Not at all! You failed to quote the "Nice :))" on the following line :)

--
Ant :)

Nick Hounsome wrote:
> "ReNoobing (Net)Hack" <gbrahms@comcast.net> wrote in message

<snip>
> Unless you have a blessed scroll of "make everyone in the world configure
> their mail client to use a fixed width font" you cannot make boxes display
> properly for everyone.

I take your point. Signature box will be deleted.

> Your signature is IMHO a lame waste of space anyway and since you chose to
> try it out on us you could at least have made it NetHack related.

You mean to tell me that you never began a new game of NetHack right
after you were terminated in the last?

Nick Hounsome wrote:

> "ReNoobing (Net)Hack" <gbrahms@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> *--------------------------------*
>> | Ma fin est mon commencement. |
>> *--------------------------------*
>
> The default on windows is Arial which is not fixed width so they are
> unlikely to display properly for anyone at all.

The proportion of participants in this newsgroup who use sensible
alternative newsreaders/fonts is strikingly high, partially due to the, er,
high "geek factor", and partly because ASCII "screenshots" are common here.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Quoting Nick Hounsome <nh002@blueyonder.co.uk>:
>"ReNoobing (Net)Hack" <gbrahms@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>Greetings NetHackers!
>>Hacking just like the rest of y'all,
>Unless you have a blessed scroll of "make everyone in the world configure
>their mail client to use a fixed width font" you cannot make boxes display
>properly for everyone.

People's mail clients are not pertinent here. People's newsreaders are,
but of course any sensible person uses fixed-width, especially in a
newsgroup which features screenshots of a roguelike game.

>>*--------------------------------*
>>| Ma fin est mon commencement. |
>The default on windows is Arial which is not fixed width so they are
>unlikely to display properly for anyone at all.

Because as we know everyone uses Windows?

>Your signature is IMHO a lame waste of space anyway and since you chose to
>try it out on us you could at least have made it NetHack related.

It's under the McQuary Limit. He can do what he likes.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Tuesday, May.