CPU HITS 145 DEGREES?

G

Fan on heatsink on my Athlon 900 quit and temp hit 145 F before i realized it. As soon as i did i shut it down, ripped of the bad heatsink and as quick as i could put on a spare that i happened to hold on to......Seems to be working ok rite now. How bad was this? How much is to much heat for my CPU? How do i know if i screwed up my processor?

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Don't panic - that's still well within AMD specification and not too far off the running temps some report with stock AMD cooling solutions.

The 145F is around 63C by my calcualtions. That is hotter than I think you should run for long periods of time, but not fatal. No-one can predict the life of your cpu - it may have shaved days off, it may have shaved weeks off. The cpu lives are typically measured as a decade or higher, so I think that cpu will still be willing to work when you have long ago retired it!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
agrees.
at least the heat sink was still there
and 63 deg is quite survivable. the fact that it still works is indication enough. and given the rate at which people upgrade i dont think you will ever see it die. :)

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

G

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, appreciate the info.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
145 f is ok

If i were you i would replace the heatsink.With time the dirt will accumulate and its will be even higher and if you put it in close room its will be even higher and boom!!.

Buy AMD no promble is only rumor.
LOL.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 05/27/01 04:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
juin, I realise that English is not your first language, so I am not going to complain about it to you, but please try and understand the context of the posts before you reply in to them.

Firstly he was asking if there was any damaged caused by the overheat - he states that he already swapped the heatsink and fan because the fan died. He wasn't saying this is his normal running temperature and was it ok...

Secondly, comments like 'buying AMD has no problems is only a rumor, LOL' (my clarification of your post) will not win you respect or friends. It is purely an inflammatory remark of no substance. It provides no value to any situation and is intended only to upset people. You use of it here seems to poke fun at the original poster - I cannot imagine they care for that.

If you want to find yourself with no respect on this forum, continue as you are. You are perfectly entitled to have a preference for Intel, or AMD, or whatever processor, but try to maintain that preference with well reasoned arguements, not by laughing at people or posting mindless putdowns with not backup.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details