The RNG, again... - potions of paralysis

In a current game I have yet been hit by countless potions of paralysis.
Well "countless" actually is only litte more than half a dozen, but I am
just at an early game stage, not yet passed the oracle! Where do all the
creatures get these from to throw at me; bargain at Asidonhopo?

Someone dare to say the RNG is not biased towards evil.

Janis
6 answers Last reply
More about again potions paralysis

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > In a current game I have yet been hit by countless potions of paralysis.
    > Well "countless" actually is only litte more than half a dozen, but I am
    > just at an early game stage, not yet passed the oracle! Where do all the
    > creatures get these from to throw at me; bargain at Asidonhopo?

    Hmm, is there YANI in here somewhere? Bulk discounts for would-be
    character assassins at shops carrying harmful-when-hurled potions, with
    automatic restocking only when the character seems to ignore the shop?
    Perhaps make the shopkeepers offer "protection" at the right price? I
    think you're on to something here!

    > Someone dare to say the RNG is not biased towards evil.

    I can't pass this up. The RNG is not biased towards evil, it only seems
    that way when things aren't going the way one thinks they should ;)

    -Ken

    Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in news:d53182$4el$1
    @online.de:

    > In a current game I have yet been hit by countless potions of paralysis.
    > Well "countless" actually is only litte more than half a dozen, but I am
    > just at an early game stage, not yet passed the oracle! Where do all the
    > creatures get these from to throw at me; bargain at Asidonhopo?
    >
    > Someone dare to say the RNG is not biased towards evil.
    >
    > Janis

    Hm. I'm curious: what kind of other potions are being hurtled, compared?
    Maybe the RNG is trying to tell you something.

    "Janis Papanagnou" <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In a current game I have yet been hit by countless potions of paralysis.
    > Well "countless" actually is only litte more than half a dozen, but I am
    > just at an early game stage, not yet passed the oracle! Where do all the
    > creatures get these from to throw at me; bargain at Asidonhopo?
    >
    > Someone dare to say the RNG is not biased towards evil.

    I have more of a problem with the numerous potions of "selective" blindness
    they throw - You know - the ones that makes you blind to the messages about
    getting weak until you faint and get nibbled to death by a newt!

    > Someone dare to say the RNG is not biased towards evil.

    Oh, she isn't. It's just that she hates everyone :-)

    Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Someone dare to say the RNG is not biased towards evil.

    As with cats, wolverines, and Chinese demons, bloodlust is inherent in
    the RNG's nature, rather than an expression of malice.
    My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
    Everyone expected the Bavarian Inquisition.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > > In a current game I have yet been hit by countless potions of paralysis.
    > > Well "countless" actually is only litte more than half a dozen, but I am
    > > just at an early game stage, not yet passed the oracle! Where do all the
    > > creatures get these from to throw at me; bargain at Asidonhopo?
    >
    > Hmm, is there YANI in here somewhere? Bulk discounts for would-be
    > character assassins at shops carrying harmful-when-hurled potions, with
    > automatic restocking only when the character seems to ignore the shop?
    > Perhaps make the shopkeepers offer "protection" at the right price? I
    > think you're on to something here!

    There's a story somewhere on the web explaining that, and a lot more
    that would puzzle one about how the dungeon is as it is, every time
    again.

    > > Someone dare to say the RNG is not biased towards evil.
    >
    > I can't pass this up. The RNG is not biased towards evil, it only seems
    > that way when things aren't going the way one thinks they should ;)

    The RNG isn't biased towards evil, the RNG _is_ evil.

    Richard

Games Video Games