New dell Dimension 2400

I have tried several ram modules and none of them work , I match the PC2700
number the CL2 number .
Does Dell use proprietary memory ? BTW I used 256 and 512 modules.

AFAIK, Dell 2400's used generic vanilla memory, but good quality. If the memory
is ECC or some sort of server memory, it likely will not work. I've had no
trouble installing good quality generic DDR memory to upgrade the usual 128MB as
equipped at the factory.

Try Crucial brand, for one. There are other good quality manufacturers of DDR
out there too... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<412f6a62.20626535@news.charter.net>...
> AFAIK, Dell 2400's used generic vanilla memory, but good quality. If the memory
> is ECC or some sort of server memory, it likely will not work. I've had no
> trouble installing good quality generic DDR memory to upgrade the usual 128MB as
> equipped at the factory.
>
> Try Crucial brand, for one. There are other good quality manufacturers of DDR
> out there too... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:47:23 GMT, "Jesus Alvarado !!" <alvarje@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I have tried several ram modules and none of them work , I match the PC2700
> >number the CL2 number .
> >Does Dell use proprietary memory ? BTW I used 256 and 512 modules.

way of memory, their warranty is unbeatable, prices good. On their
sight, look for the memory required for your specific motherboard.
Then write down all the tint details and buy the memory wherever YOU
want!!! I heartily recommend Crucial Memory.

I use generic memory in my 2400. I am almost positive it is CL2.5 though.

Tom
"Jesus Alvarado !!" <alvarje@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have tried several ram modules and none of them work , I match the PC2700
> number the CL2 number .
> Does Dell use proprietary memory ? BTW I used 256 and 512 modules.

Jim

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:09:53 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>AFAIK, Dell 2400's used generic vanilla memory, but good quality. If the memory
>is ECC or some sort of server memory, it likely will not work. I've had no
>trouble installing good quality generic DDR memory to upgrade the usual 128MB as
>equipped at the factory.
>
>Try Crucial brand, for one. There are other good quality manufacturers of DDR
>out there too... Ben Myers
>
>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:47:23 GMT, "Jesus Alvarado !!" <alvarje@sbcglobal.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I have tried several ram modules and none of them work , I match the PC2700
>>number the CL2 number .
>>Does Dell use proprietary memory ? BTW I used 256 and 512 modules.

I'm sure crucial.com or kingston.com are fine to buy from. I can say
I just got pc2700 ram from zipzoomfly.com for my dim2400 and it worked
fine.

CL-2 is too aggressive for the Dell system. You need CL-2.5 for PC2700, or
CL-3 for PC3200.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>CL-2 is too aggressive for the Dell system. You need CL-2.5 for PC2700, or
>CL-3 for PC3200.

OK, Edward. For those of us whose last exposure to the
intricacies of computer RAM chips dates back to the 286/386 era,
and who have been happy, since those days, to put our trust on
RAM matters in computer vendors and crucial.com, could you do us
a favor? WITH is CL-nn? Why the apparent "golf style" rating,
where lower is "better"? Unless, of course, it is too
"aggressive". Which raise the question, how does a computer
memory chip exhibit aggression? And if you could put your
response at the "Computer Memory for Dinosaurs" level, it would
be appreciated.
--
OJ III

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> CL-2 is too aggressive for the Dell system. You need CL-2.5 for
>> PC2700, or CL-3 for PC3200.
>
> OK, Edward. For those of us whose last exposure to the
> intricacies of computer RAM chips dates back to the 286/386 era,
> and who have been happy, since those days, to put our trust on
> RAM matters in computer vendors and crucial.com, could you do us
> a favor? WITH is CL-nn? Why the apparent "golf style" rating,
> where lower is "better"? Unless, of course, it is too
> "aggressive". Which raise the question, how does a computer
> memory chip exhibit aggression? And if you could put your
> response at the "Computer Memory for Dinosaurs" level, it would
> be appreciated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index-02.html

The whole article is pretty good----I placed you in the middle where it
discusses CAS Latency...

--
"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
"Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

>> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>>> CL-2 is too aggressive for the Dell system. You need CL-2.5 for
>>> PC2700, or CL-3 for PC3200.

>> OK, Edward. For those of us whose last exposure to the
>> intricacies of computer RAM chips dates back to the 286/386 era,
>> and who have been happy, since those days, to put our trust on
>> RAM matters in computer vendors and crucial.com, could you do us
>> a favor? WITH is CL-nn? Why the apparent "golf style" rating,
>> where lower is "better"? Unless, of course, it is too
>> "aggressive". Which raise the question, how does a computer
>> memory chip exhibit aggression? And if you could put your
>> response at the "Computer Memory for Dinosaurs" level, it would
>> be appreciated.

>http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index-02.html
>
>The whole article is pretty good----I placed you in the middle where it
>discusses CAS Latency...

Thanks, Thomas. Saved the link for perusal later. At first
glance, that place might be understandable enough to save a lot
of head shaking over a lot of "new stuff". Never be fully up
again, but at least I may get back where I know enough to know
what I don't know.
--
OJ III

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:
> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
>
>> Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

>>> OK, Edward. For those of us whose last exposure to the
>>> intricacies of computer RAM chips dates back to the 286/386 era,
>>> and who have been happy, since those days, to put our trust on
>>> RAM matters in computer vendors and crucial.com, could you do us
>>> a favor? WITH is CL-nn? Why the apparent "golf style" rating,
>>> where lower is "better"? Unless, of course, it is too
>>> "aggressive". Which raise the question, how does a computer
>>> memory chip exhibit aggression? And if you could put your
>>> response at the "Computer Memory for Dinosaurs" level, it would
>>> be appreciated.
>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index-02.html
>>
>> The whole article is pretty good----I placed you in the middle where
>> it discusses CAS Latency...
>
> Thanks, Thomas. Saved the link for perusal later. At first
> glance, that place might be understandable enough to save a lot
> of head shaking over a lot of "new stuff". Never be fully up
> again, but at least I may get back where I know enough to know
> what I don't know.

Well for me, what I don't know I don't know is always amazing me when parts
of it shift into what I don't know.

--
http://www.allexperts.com is a nifty way to get an answer to just about
/anything/.

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:0TjZc.3877$P97.2080@trndny04...
> Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:
>> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
>>
>>> Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index-02.html
>>>
>>> The whole article is pretty good----I placed you in the middle where
>>> it discusses CAS Latency...
>>
>> Thanks, Thomas. Saved the link for perusal later. At first
>> glance, that place might be understandable enough to save a lot
>> of head shaking over a lot of "new stuff". Never be fully up
>> again, but at least I may get back where I know enough to know
>> what I don't know.
>
> Well for me, what I don't know I don't know is always amazing me when
> parts
> of it shift into what I don't know.

I didn't know that.

Stew

S.Lewis coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:0TjZc.3877$P97.2080@trndny04...
>> Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> coughed up the following:

>>> Thanks, Thomas. Saved the link for perusal later. At first
>>> glance, that place might be understandable enough to save a lot
>>> of head shaking over a lot of "new stuff". Never be fully up
>>> again, but at least I may get back where I know enough to know
>>> what I don't know.
>>
>> Well for me, what I don't know I don't know is always amazing me when
>> parts
>> of it shift into what I don't know.
>>

> I didn't know that.

I did. (wrap your head around that one :) )....

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

TRENDING THREADS