Pc keeps restarting at boot up screen / safe mode a no go

mattbel123

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I have an HP computer that I had to replace the system fan today. Now the bios date and times are completely wrong. Safe mode won't work for me just keeps restarting. Start up repair doesn't do anything. The computer is from 2006. Is it possible that the motherboard or hard drive is going bad? Is it time for a new computer? I basically can't do anything on it now.

An easy way to isolate the motherboard as not being the issue is take a look at the systemboard with the power cord still plugged in but do not touch anything.

There should be a small LED on the motherboard, usually green, called the flea power light that indicates if the motherboard is retaining residual power or not from the power supply. If the light is out with the power cord plugged in, your issue could likely be both components. If the light is on, your motherboard is fine unless the processor is fried (different time, different story, focus on the easy things first).

Did you replace the system fan because it was loud, stopped moving or did something more catastrophic happen?

The bios lost it time because it was disconnected from power for a length of time. The watch battery I told you to change is suppose to stop that so if it didn't, it was bad.

When you boot into the Bios do you see your hard drives?

Were you using this computer regularly before this happened?

Which OS are you using?

TRENDING THREADS