Sign in with
Your question

AMD only rumor

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2001 8:28:30 AM

I saw a couple of post.That prove the AMD have big problem.

"cpu hit 145 degrees?"

"HOT HOT T-bird"

"new mobo&wont boot"

"trouble cooling my athlon 1.2"

"AMD 1333 running slow"

"AMD Thunderbird 1.2 temperature"

I think that that prove it.
I wonder what AMD fan will tell me.There 6 probleme to be solve.

More about : amd rumor

May 27, 2001 8:50:26 AM

Juin, allow me to clarify for you,

"cpu hit 145 degrees?" Farenhiet with no fan working on the HS

"HOT HOT T-bird" With a most likely incorrectly installed heatsink

"new mobo&wont boot" With a possible mobo physical installation problem

"trouble cooling my athlon 1.2" Looks like the guy hasn't installed the heatsink properly or the case design limits airlow to the fan?

"AMD 1333 running slow" With no drivers for the chipset installed, speed now tripled after installing drivers. Not so slow any more.

"AMD Thunderbird 1.2 temperature" No response from the guy as to whether he has actaully installed the thing correctly or not.

I'm sorry but I think 90% of the 'problems' posted in here are user error. Either inexperienced users or careless ones. That's fine - it is why most of us are here - to try and HELP them You are turning into a real Intel Troll - why don't you try helping some people out instead of hanging around all the time trying to prove why people should spend their money on Intel - you got shares in them?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
May 27, 2001 9:17:49 AM

I agree!! All you are trying to do is muddy the waters around here!!

What you don't see are the posts when they figure out the 1 stupid little thing they did wrong & fixed it & are running like a demon. That's what it's about, not throwing stones, then they help someone with that same problem later. If you'd been here awhile you'd see it's the same problems over & over. If people did a search as well, you wouldn't see as many repete posts.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!
Related resources
May 27, 2001 1:13:12 PM

Juin please say something. why are you so quiet? you started this post

>>>when we are forgotten , we seized to exist<<<
May 27, 2001 3:25:52 PM

Boy, you know, I was pretty impressed with AMD, but after reading this post, I feel pretty silly. You sure proved me wrong with that incisive logic you used. I guess Intel is best after all. I'm gonna dump this piece of junk AMD I'm using, even though it seems to work great, and go out and buy an Intel system right away. Thank you, juin, for setting me on the right path with your brilliance.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2001 3:43:17 PM

you are right...
I was foolish enough to buy a duron. Im glad I saw this post. My next pc will be a P4 1,7Ghz@850mhz with Rambus and a TNT2m64.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2001 6:01:49 PM

LOL

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!
May 27, 2001 8:34:51 PM

I am still here i have post this yesterday.
May 27, 2001 8:36:58 PM

Maybe there anserwer but no one have probleme with there Intel.

Intel work it simple.
May 27, 2001 8:40:57 PM

the cpu and mobo not booting was my fault not amd's. And I will never get an intel proc again
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2001 8:41:38 PM

It's just a thought, but the only CPU I really hear about people buying are AMD's... could this be why the CPU board has more AMD related questions?
In my experience, AMD is great... you just need to spend $20 on a CPU cooler rather than $10. Geeze.
May 27, 2001 8:46:23 PM

10 $ on colling systeme most of AMD useur have "super colling ice power 2001" cost more that 100$ ok not all but a couple.
200 for the cpu + 100 for the "super colling ice power" = 300 the price of intel p4 1.7
May 27, 2001 8:47:53 PM

In 2 year what you will look with you Duron/T-bird that only support MMX.

Think future think Intel.
May 27, 2001 9:01:46 PM

I dont know if is ironic i was think we are only 3 on the side of intel vs the bunch.

I were any of you i would wait for northwood or clawhammer maybe clawhammer even if is not be avaible for the next 2 year. Make logic buy.I have suggest a P2 300 for my bro is comp still rock all night long.
May 27, 2001 9:05:16 PM

"""I'm sorry but I think 90% of the 'problems' posted in here are user error. Either inexperienced users or careless ones. That's fine - it is why most of us are here - to try and HELP them You are turning into a real Intel Troll - why don't you try helping some people out instead of hanging around all the time trying to prove why people should spend their money on Intel - you got shares in them""""

Update the bios is very very dangerous
Update driver is dangerous
Update hardware driver like AGP and others is very dangerous.

Any error can cost you a lot of money.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2001 9:20:51 PM

LOL, get a reality check. It is so easy to update that stuff.

Aklein

May 27, 2001 9:48:06 PM

The only thing in that list that is even slightly dangerous is updating the BIOS. The worst you'd have to in the other two cases is reformat C: or the like. If you arrange your partitions wisely, that just means giving up an hour or so to install the O/S.

Oh, and as for "updating drivers" being dangerous...99.9% of the new peripherals out there work best only with a driver update.

When was the last time you installed hardware that ran at its best on an embedded Windows driver? Jesus, even my <i>case</i> comes with third-party drivers. You have to "update drivers" to be able to use practically <i>any</i> new hardware except media drives.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
May 27, 2001 10:00:14 PM

<b>Update the bios is very very dangerous
Update hardware driver like AGP and others is very dangerous.

Any error can cost you a lot of money.</b>

You've never built any computer, haven't you? Or you try to be sarcasm? Intel system also needs every stuff you listed once in a while in order to make better performance.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 27, 2001 10:19:14 PM

<b>In 2 year what you will look with you Duron/T-bird that only support MMX.</b>
You should've read more. Beside MMX, they also support <b>3D Now!</b> and the new <b>Athlon 4 (Palomino)</b> has SSE.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 27, 2001 10:40:51 PM

<b>10 $ on colling systeme most of AMD useur have "super colling ice power 2001" cost more that 100$ ok not all but a couple.
200 for the cpu + 100 for the "super colling ice power" = 300 the price of intel p4 1.7</b>
Where did you get this information? Most AMD users have air cooling fan (cost range from $10 to 30). 2 of mine (TBird 700@850) are using GlobalWin FOP-32 that cost only $15 each. The you-called <font color=blue>"Super cooling ice power"</font color=blue> only applies to <font color=blue>Agressive Overclockers</font color=blue>.
Please stop spewing your <b>BS</b>.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2001 10:45:32 PM

sorry man, but you are indeed a moron like everyone else has pointed out.

"In 2 year what you will look with you Duron/T-bird that only support MMX"
If you still have the same computer in 2 years you obviously wouldn't care what it has because all cpu's today will be useless in 2 years.
May 27, 2001 10:48:40 PM

Juin is AMDMeltdown on LSD. Thats why the posts are still full of crap but with plaenty more Spelling errors and sentence structures that make no sense what so ever.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2001 12:16:02 AM

Yeah, its all the BS without the ranting and raving, he's all relaxed....talking slower...and slower..........................................LOL

Aklein

May 28, 2001 12:41:11 AM

lol that so funny, no amount of acid can make me write like that! thanks for thinking of me. ;-b

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"
May 28, 2001 12:50:44 AM

You are joking, right? If you are not joking then please take a step to the left and allow some serious people through.

Juin,

This is a hardware and PC forum. This forum is largely geared to people who either build there own PCs or customise them afterwards. You are now trying to tell me that we should not advise people to update drivers, update bios etc?

How in the heck is anyone going to get ANYTHING working on their PC without doing that? Intel sure as hell are not. Nor are AMD.

What about updating software - that can be 'dangerous' too. Stepping outside your front door can be dangerous.

The very moment you go out and build your own PC you get right back here and tell us - I'll put a little note im my diary and then we might start listening to anything you have to say - until that time, crawl back into lurking land, read the forum and the posts and the articles and learn something about PCs. Alternatively go and post your rubbish in the other-other forum where people looking for real healp are not going to be bothered by your meaningless, inexperienced drivel.

May 28, 2001 2:27:05 AM

Quote:
Update the bios is very very dangerous

Bullshit. its only dangerous if you're an idiot
you can't follow instructions. I flash my bios all
the time

Quote:

bullshit. On any computer platform intel
or amd you update drivers regularly..
hell, ask any Nvidia owner how many times
they update their NEDs.

Quote:
Update hardware driver like AGP and others is very dangerous

Bullshit. I have yet to suffer one incident with
upgrading my 4in1 drivers. you have to be a total
idiot to screw up bios and driver upgrades.

And as for your statement about $100 coolers?
I'm using a cheap $27 CDN cooler with my AMD
1ghz CPU. My idle temps are @ 33-34C.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!
May 28, 2001 2:33:40 AM

OMG, You are such a friggin moron.

ROFL

<font color=red>They're out there, waiting, watching, listening. Be afraid! The cookies are coming!</font color=red>
May 28, 2001 2:57:00 AM

Any action involve Bios is dangerous any step must be done with extreme precaution.Is the 1 thing you learn in school and the 1 thing they tell in your mobo manual.

For driver update i know i will hav reply on this.Any time you update a old driver there a risk.Exsemple when i have update the driver of voodoo 2 windows starting to get unstable the driver have been wrongly install and create a error in the "Register base"(i am not sure is this the right terms in ENG).Because on this we have format the whole C: with the driver of the D: (we have 2 part C: and D:) .We have done this because we have copy the driver on the D: and dont have the CD windows.In resume format the C: and re-install the windows with the CAB (windows driver) on the D: after format the D:.Just because of bad install of the driver.

Any update is dangerous take it seriously.
May 28, 2001 3:02:03 AM

In 2 year what you will look with you Duron/T-bird that only support MMX"
If you still have the same computer in 2 years you obviously wouldn't care what it has because all cpu's today will be useless in 2 years.

Right now i use a P200 that comp is 6 year old maybe 5 and i still use it any P2 can run most of the apps easely
P2 is 4 year old if your comp a just 2 year of lifetime is because you made bad choice or take cheap version.Useless!! you have a lot of money.
May 28, 2001 3:04:06 AM

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?! Go stand in the corner!

<font color=red>They're out there, waiting, watching, listening. Be afraid! The cookies are coming!</font color=red>
May 28, 2001 3:11:01 AM

The only thing in that list that is even slightly dangerous is updating the BIOS. The worst you'd have to in the other two cases is reformat C: or the like. If you arrange your partitions wisely, that just means giving up an hour or so to install the O/S.

Oh, and as for "updating drivers" being dangerous...99.9% of the new peripherals out there work best only with a driver update.

When was the last time you installed hardware that ran at its best on an embedded Windows driver? Jesus, even my case comes with third-party drivers. You have to "update drivers" to be able to use practically any new hardware except media drives.

There is no link between HD and the CMOS.Bios syncronize the hardware is tha main software of any comp.The bios is store in the CMOS and some cpu store it in the L2 after boot.If any error is create you must found the probleme or loose a lot of speed or allwayse crash or just dont boot up.In any big probleme you must discharche the CMOS with the jumper or the dip swith (i dont remember wich one) and you know what is the conclusion.

Anything with the bios is dangerous most of you have even read the Award plug and play manual.
May 28, 2001 3:14:29 AM

"plaenty" i dont if that my but that not plenty.
May 28, 2001 3:15:11 AM

And Intel users don't have to do these things? Apparently you weren't around during the transition from PII to PIII, where Intel boards had to have their BIOS's updated to recognize the new CPU. Or the Abit BH6 (was that the dual Celery board? I don't remember exactly) that is such a lasting product through continuous BIOS upgrades? Or people with Detonator drivers? Or people who apply service packs? Driver/software updates are a fact of life, whether you have an Intel or an AMD system. BIOS upgrades are not as common but sometimes have to be done, no matter what platform you use.

Hell, by your logic, it's dangerous to ever head over to windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Well guess what, it actually does you a lot of good sometimes! Geez.

Oh, and I've had good results with both of my Athlon boards (and CPUs) without having to do a single BIOS update.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
May 28, 2001 3:18:14 AM

Quote:
Any action involve Bios is dangerous any step must be done with extreme precaution.Is the 1 thing you learn in school and the 1 thing they tell in your mobo manual.

*sigh*.. I should have known you were an academic.
Mobo manuals always say [-peep-] like that.. it even
goes so far as to say "MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE
MACHINE BEFORE TRYING TO DO ANY WORK INSIDE"
well duh.. Ask anyone who builds systems for a
living or for fun how many BIOSes they've flashed
and how many of those flashes have failed. Its
a pretty safe procedure, unless you try to flash
your motherboard bios from within Windows!

Quote:
For driver update i know i will hav reply on this.Any time you update a old driver there a risk

of course there is a risk! There is a risk everytime
you have you turn on your computer.. thats no reason not
to upgrade drivers! Ok.. things to remember for a hassle
free time with Windows.
1) MAKE A GHOST IMAGE AFTER A FRESH INSTALL
2) MAKE A GHOST IMAGE AFTER A COMPLETE INSTALL
(including all basic apps)
3) USE THE IMAGE!
5 minutes and you're back up and running.

What are you trying to run the voodoo2 on?
Win95?

May 28, 2001 3:22:50 AM

Quote:
The bios is store in the CMOS and some cpu store it in the L2 after boot

only if you enable shadowing of your bios, then that
can be dangerous.. but who in their right mind shadows
their bios these days?

Quote:
If any error is create you must found the probleme or loose a lot of speed or allwayse crash or just dont boot up

eh? explain this please.

Quote:
In any big probleme you must discharche the CMOS with the jumper or the dip swith (i dont remember wich one) and you know what is the conclusion.

Yes then the bios gets reset to the factory defaults
from the ROM. Worst case scenario.. you'll have to
reset the time.

May 28, 2001 3:23:57 AM

I dont say that every time you update something, it crash get logic!!!.Every update is a risk take precaution.Update software is easy any one can do with but do you suggest update the driver for your mothers who dont know anything in computer.
May 28, 2001 3:33:11 AM

Oh, and to add to your post...at my job, we have to update BIOS's all the time. We consider it part of our job to make sure the firmware on every piece of hardware we sell is updated to an approved revision. This includes every motherboard, every SBC, every RAID controller, every EPROM-enabled NIC, and every hard drive we have. BIOS/firmware updates are often necessary. We learned this the hard way through several debacles with Seagate, DPT, and SuperMicro products.

We have probably updated the BIOS on hundreds, if not thousands, of pieces of hardware. In particular, we have to upgrade the BIOSes on the SuperMicro P6DGS boards all the time, as well as the firmware on DPT/Adaptec I2O RAID controllers and Seagate SCSI hard drives. I personally have updated the firmware on seven out of my ten SCSI hard drives. In two years, I have <i>never</i> seen or heard of a BIOS or firmware flash failing.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
May 28, 2001 3:37:55 AM

"""""*sigh*.. I should have known you were an academic.
Mobo manuals always say [-peep-] like that.. it even
goes so far as to say "MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE
MACHINE BEFORE TRYING TO DO ANY WORK INSIDE" well duh.. Ask anyone who builds systems for a
living or for fun how many BIOSes they've flashed
and how many of those flashes have failed. Its
a pretty safe procedure, unless you try to flash
your motherboard bios from within Windows"""

Yes that true but how many forget to ground it self before play with memory stick.How much boom after power on.

"""of course there is a risk! There is a risk everytime
you have you turn on your computer.. thats no reason not
to upgrade drivers! Ok.. things to remember for a hassle
free time with Windows.
1) MAKE A GHOST IMAGE AFTER A FRESH INSTALL
2) MAKE A GHOST IMAGE AFTER A COMPLETE INSTALL
(including all basic apps)
3) USE THE IMAGE!
5 minutes and you're back up and running."""""

Ghost image = backup The software that take the image of the HD.
If you talk about that i have never use it.I read before update so no need.
May 28, 2001 4:11:57 AM

Yes that true but how many forget to ground it self before play with memory stick.How much boom after power on.

Number of systems with a component failure for me = 0. Number of times I follow the book on static procedures = 0.

10 years ago static used to be a real killer - nowadays dust, humidity and static are not that much of an issue. Sure, you could fry something. The likelyhood is you'll do something else dumb first. Accidents happen.

May 28, 2001 4:16:43 AM

It amazes me that even he obviously doesn't know anything about computers but he keeps continuing to shoot all of craps out of his mouth!!!

May 28, 2001 4:40:32 AM

If you are pro like you say that your job it normal for you but normal useur that have that knowlege.
May 28, 2001 5:14:11 AM

Quote:
10 $ on colling systeme most of AMD useur have "super colling ice power 2001" cost more that 100$ ok not all but a couple.
200 for the cpu + 100 for the "super colling ice power" = 300 the price of intel p4 1.7

ok. that's it. I thought maybe you were just kind of an Intel fan, and you need help with English. Comments like that simply prove you are a total and complete idiot.
"super colling ice power 2001"
try original Duron 700mhz heatsink on my ghz processor.
no heat issues at all. The only people that have elaborate cooling <b>ARE OVERCLOCKING THE PROCESSOR FAR BEYOND ITS ORIGINAL DESIGN, MUCH LESS WHAT IT IS RATED AT.</b>
oh, you have to have dry ice to run an Athlon at 2.2, whupteefreakindo. you have to have liquid nitrogen to run a P4 @ 2.8, which I still haven't seen proof of it. a pic of a frosted slot 1 processor doesn't tell me there was a P4 running at 2.8ghz.
sorry man, keep it up you will be included on the idiot list, I gave you benefit of the doubt at first, my mistake.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
May 28, 2001 5:29:40 AM

Quote:

any idiot can fry a memory stick on AMD or Intel system. Fried alot of them, have you?
Quote:
If you are pro like you say that your job it normal for you but normal useur that have that knowlege.

Any idiot can read the warning on the static bag the memory comes in.
"Touch a metal part of the computer case before opening or installing the memory"
any normal user...
ok, any normal user WON'T HAVE a "super dickless ice cooling spank my monkey" cooler.
any normal user WON'T HAVE BIOS update problems or driver issues.
most normal users call ME to fix it for them.
as the people here have stated, BIOS updates are required on Intel motherboards as well. Matter of fact I JUST downloaded updated drivers for my INTEL 815 chipset.
<b>GO AWAY TROLL</b>
quit trying to start [-peep-] talking about stuff you know nothing about.
go read Spider-man and study, come back later.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
May 28, 2001 6:44:04 AM

Geez, juin, you've made journeyman before me just because you don't know when to shut up. I don't think that's fair at all. Here I am being all careful about where I post and what I say, and you get promoted before me ....
May 28, 2001 8:20:29 AM

correct me if i'm wrong butisn't problems 1,2,4 and 6 the same thing? So you've got 3 problems and not 6.
Anyway the heat issues can be solved easily if you would get a proper hsf and take care to install it properly. Even an Intel chip would burn if its hsf was incorrectly mounted.

Press any key to continue...
I can't find the any key!!!
May 28, 2001 7:46:10 PM

yep, your right, its only 3 problems, I noticed that too.
but, an Intel chip won't burn if its heat sink is improperly installed, it will just shut down in the middle of a game or something...
the processor is idiot proof, but an idiot won't know its the heat sink causing the problem.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.
May 28, 2001 11:15:06 PM

Anytime. :wink:

Juin,
I think you'll find the regular standard of my posts justify for ignoring typographical errors. you should use babelfish for translating your french to english and perhaps a few years of education for translating your amazingly bad knowledge into something acceptable. :wink:

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>
May 29, 2001 1:39:38 AM

Perhaps you should read the frickin' posts before just posting the titles. My God, you Intel Freaks are grasping every last thing you can.

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2001 3:02:12 AM

I have not paticipated in a hardware forum for many years and it is fun to see an old fashioned flame war again. I have been in the PC game for about 20 years and things never change. There are always these YEA....Boo exchanges between competing product fans and none of it ever changes anybody's mind or accomplishes anything.
I use nothing but AMD at home and at my church's NT network I built and I work with nothing but Intel at my job. Both are fine products. That's all folks.

The Mentat Bashar
May 29, 2001 3:15:20 AM

"""You should've read more. Beside MMX, they also support 3D Now! and the new Athlon 4 (Palomino) has SSE."""

1 AMD use MMX 3d now 3dnow+ for the T-bird and PAl use SSE with the others metion before.The real thing is SSE2 even AMD was impresse with SSE2.

SSE2 is the Future.
!